• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I was vaguely thinking of going to India to watch some of the World Cup, but in a very rich white tourist who doesn’t care about ‘authenticity’ and just wants to have a cruisey time kinda way. These last few posts are not encouraging.
I’d say this is still doable if you can figure out flight tickets early enough (never been to NZ but there are no direct flights to India AFAIK). There’s usually a wide range of larger hotels in the big cities, getting rooms is not a problem if higher room rates isn’t a big concern. Flying within India is also pretty comfortable and convenient these days, if a bit expensive compared to what it was pre-Covid.

According to CI, Ahmedabad aside, the shortlist comprises Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Dharamsala, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Lucknow, Indore, Rajkot and Mumbai.

If you choose Mumbai/Delhi as a base (or even say, Hyderabad/Bengaluru) and prepare to fly up and down to other venues you decide on once the schedule is released,definitely possible to make a trip out of it.

Moss

I would actually suggest Hyderabad would be a great base. And also probably the best place to taste a cross section of all kinds of Indian cuisine. Plus its not a dry state.
Agreed, the one downer with Hyderabad is the stadium is located extremely far from the center of the city and isn’t the greatest place for a day at the cricket from what I hear. Chennai/Kolkata better in that regard, and though both cities are a bit more of an acquired taste than Mumbai/Bangalore you can’t go wrong with them either IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Agreed, the one downer with Hyderabad is the stadium is located extremely far from the center of the city and isn’t the greatest place for a day at the cricket from what I hear. Chennai/Kolkata better in that regard, and though both cities are a bit more of an acquired taste than Mumbai/Bangalore you can’t go wrong with them either IMO.
I heard there is a Metro service now to the stadium in Hyderabad. So maybe it wont be that bad now to get there?

Moss

I heard there is a Metro service now to the stadium in Hyderabad. So maybe it wont be that bad now to get there?
Possible, wasn't aware of this. Friends who've been to Uppal earlier weren't too happy with the experience, though for a World Cup hopefully they get it right.

Moss

bcci should be blamed for this incompetence, they still don’t have any fixtures released
This might undermine my earlier post, but there's really nothing they can do until the qualifiers are done (apart from releasing the start and end dates, which they have). Guess it's the ICC's incompetence that the super league and qualifiers are both finishing *after* the IPL.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
The 2019 WC schedules was announced over a year in advance, I went into the ballot system to get tickets. Seems crazy that next to nothing has been announced for 2023.

I saw an article about BCCI still unsure about Pakistan getting into the country and that they are looking at options for their games to be played elsewhere - which would be insane. Also, Ashwin suggesting that games should start 2 hours earlier to negate dew factor but yeah apart from that it's been radio silence.

The Hutt Rec

This might undermine my earlier post, but there's really nothing they can do until the qualifiers are done (apart from releasing the start and end dates, which they have). Guess it's the ICC's incompetence that the super league and qualifiers are both finishing *after* the IPL.
This is pretty normal, usually they will just release the draw and have things like New Zealand vs Qualifier 2, India vs Qualifier 1, etc as a placeholder until the qualifiers are decided. Naming the venues and match dates would be a great help to those that are planning to travel over.

Immenso

Yeah, nah. As Hutt Rec says.

For the Rugby World Cup, who do their draw notoriously early (to cater for/ cash in on the tour packages market). With the downside being the seeding and the rankings get out of whack 3 years later when the tournament actually happens. But if you like 'groups of death' then this can also be an upside of the stupidly early draw. Until your own nation ends up in a crap draw, then it isn't fun any more ....

The Hutt Rec

Yeah, nah. As Hutt Rec says.

For the Rugby World Cup, who do their draw notoriously early (to cater for/ cash in on the tour packages market). With the downside being the seeding and the rankings get out of whack 3 years later when the tournament actually happens. But if you like 'groups of death' then this can also be an upside of the stupidly early draw. Until your own nation ends up in a crap draw, then it isn't fun any more ....
I wonder when the period that the cricket one uses ranking for ends? Previous world cups have had their draws announced at least a year in advance, so I’m guessing that time has already passed. I saw NZ is down to fifth in the rankings the other day … probably won’t change much, but I’m sure we were number one not too long ago?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Will this affect Ollie White's ILT20 contract?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whoop Whoop!

All back to my place. Party tonight - all NZ cricket thread regulars are invited. Mainlining tequila tonight!

jcas0167

International Debutant
Interesting to see Boult saying he’s keen to play for NZ after the World Cup.
Yeah, he specifically mentioned the home test series next year. Would be ace if he's genuinely available, but would probably need some negotiation with Stead and incoming CE given the preference for contracted players.