• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Some words of wisdom from Bondy:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...s-black-caps-to-be-creative-and-roll-the-dice

If NZ stick to the formula they should still be consistent enough to make the semis, however to make the final (and to seriously think of themselves as contenders) they probably need to think out-of-the-box a la McCullum or Fleming. While Williamson is more conservative than those two, he has shown a willingness in the past to deviate from the script (playing three spinners in the last T20 World Cup comes to mind). Benching Southee would be a start.

The Hutt Rec

Some words of wisdom from Bondy:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...s-black-caps-to-be-creative-and-roll-the-dice

If NZ stick to the formula they should still be consistent enough to make the semis, however to make the final (and to seriously think of themselves as contenders) they probably need to think out-of-the-box a la McCullum or Fleming. While Williamson is more conservative than those two, he has shown a willingness in the past to deviate from the script (playing three spinners in the last T20 World Cup comes to mind). Benching Southee would be a start.
That article really made me wish Bond was still part of the Blackcaps set-up. :(

One thing I'd like to see us try is mixing it up with shorter bowling spells ... worked in 92, so worth a try, at least?

Moss

That article really made me wish Bond was still part of the Blackcaps set-up. :(

One thing I'd like to see us try is mixing it up with shorter bowling spells ... worked in 92, so worth a try, at least?
Yup, for a side like NZ which needs a little extra to go toe-to-toe with the very best, you'd need to think on those lines. I didn't watch a lot of the IPL but I'm hoping the captaincy grind of 2 seasons has helped Kane work on the ability to think on his feet. Can recall the Eden Park game against the Aussies in 2015 with Boult and Southee spraying it around and McCullum immediately turning to Vettori to stop Australia in their tracks.

Good throwback interview with MD Crowe here (which understandably did not sit well with Pakistani readers), which references the tactic of shorter bowling spells used in 92:
Crowe's fatal gamble | ESPNcricinfo.com

The Hutt Rec

Yup, for a side like NZ which needs a little extra to go toe-to-toe with the very best, you'd need to think on those lines. I didn't watch a lot of the IPL but I'm hoping the captaincy grind of 2 seasons has helped Kane work on the ability to think on his feet. Can recall the Eden Park game against the Aussies in 2015 with Boult and Southee spraying it around and McCullum immediately turning to Vettori to stop Australia in their tracks.

Good throwback interview with MD Crowe here (which understandably did not sit well with Pakistani readers), which references the tactic of shorter bowling spells used in 92:
Crowe's fatal gamble | ESPNcricinfo.com
I forgot all about Vettori coming on in that game vs Australia, what a masterstroke that was from McCullum.

Unrelated, anyone else see Taylor saying he could potentially make it to the next World Cup earlier this week?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Pick Sodhi. Oh wait he just reminded me how slow he is in the field.

Henry could've had Gayle first ball of that last over with the miscue over Sodhi for four. But then bowled trash that deserved to be hit by Gayle for the rest of the over.

We have three options for that bowling spot but they all look suspect.

Moss

Been very indisciplined so far (lots of wides and no balls), and Boult making a mess of an outfield catch kind of sums up the fielding as of now.

Henry actually bowled okay, should have had both ledt handers, but is showing himself to be a bit fragile when under the pump. Still more upside to selecting him than Southee of course.

Last edited:

Jezroy

State Captain
Hmmmm... how do they come back from this start? Need less than 5 an over from here to hit 300, so we’ve got some major damage limitation to do, followed by some good batting.

Sadly feel like Munro will open against SL unless Nicholls does some spectacular stuff here. Please Henry...

thundaboult

International Debutant
I have a feel that Henry will still get a run. Stead would give him more chances than Hesson I feel, domestic ties.