• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

number11

U19 Captain
Have watched some of this series online. Weaker squad from NZ but nonetheless. Pakistan's batting looks bad - the young guys are hacks for the most part. Yes, this may work occassionally in T20/T20i cricket but it doesn't bode well.

Early finish today and saw some of the Pk bowling. The young quick at the end looked promising.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hey we're not doing too bad - Pakistan 96/4 and we're probably still going to get Fakhared, but players have performed with both bat and ball this match and the previous.

Robinson really does look very similar to Finn Allen. Pakistan finding O'Rourke and Sears difficult to deal with.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan's batting looks bad - the young guys are hacks for the most part. Yes, this may work occassionally in T20/T20i cricket but it doesn't bode well.
Get used to this - we're probably going to have a whole generation of them...this is the first generation (born around 2000 or so) who were raised with the IPL/T20, and grew up on wackedy do over solid technique.

thundaboult

International Debutant
brilliant from nz-c team yet another t20 series with a strong pak team that we won't lose

in the end tho, all comes down to winning a white ball trophy and that is where we choke

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
With the squad being announced on Monday, I'm not expecting too many eyebrow raisers, if any. From the sound of it, it may be Neesham & Boult's BC swansong.

I don't understand the T20 hype around Ravindra. The Cake Tin aside, the reality is that he hasn't impressed, he hasn't demanded selection, & there's just no place for him as a top order bat when we've got too many fighting for limited places (especially if they're serious about Munro) & a part-timey spinner when we've already got Bracewell & Phillips (OK, he's left arm, but still). I'm sorry, I can't be convinced he should be in the squad, especially not when his IPL reflects his T20 career as a whole - one big score & a lot of small ones. I'm not even sure if he'll become a T20 regular for NZ.
He's not a T20 player. I'd suggest he might not even be in the IPL if he wasn't of Indian descent. That Cake Tin innings was a blip - he slog swept and pulled everything, on a small ground and got away with it. And it pisses me off that playing a format he's not suited to, is potentially going to hurt his Test game or at the very least certainly do nothing to help it. I know he has a right to maximise his earning potential, and good on him. Just another reason for me to abhor the IPL, as I do.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
He's not a T20 player. I'd suggest he might not even be in the IPL if he wasn't of Indian descent. That Cake Tin innings was a blip - he slog swept and pulled everything, on a small ground and got away with it. And it pisses me off that playing a format he's not suited to, is potentially going to hurt his Test game or at the very least certainly do nothing to help it. I know he has a right to maximise his earning potential, and good on him. Just another reason for me to abhor the IPL, as I do.
He's in the IPL because he's a young batsmen who made nearly 600 runs in the ODI wc in India just before the Auction. He's clearly got a high cieling with the bat, bowls some handy part time spin (which CSK love in the top order) and is a fantastic fielder. Cameron green got given 3 million off the back of two innings vs india in t20 and SFA in the format outside of that because of potential. Kyle jamieson got paid a **** load on potential and returns in other formats despite never being tested outside the super smash in t20. The indian descent thing has very little to do with it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's in the IPL because he's a young batsmen who made nearly 600 runs in the ODI wc in India just before the Auction. He's clearly got a high cieling with the bat, bowls some handy part time spin (which CSK love in the top order) and is a fantastic fielder. Cameron green got given 3 million off the back of two innings vs india in t20 and SFA in the format outside of that because of potential. Kyle jamieson got paid a **** load on potential and returns in other formats despite never being tested outside the super smash in t20. The indian descent thing has very little to do with it.
Yeah OK, that's ODI cricket. His T20 record is terrible. He averages 16 from 55 innings. And has hardly bowled in the IPL. Is his ceiling high as a T20 batter? I don't reckon it is, unless he's prepared to sacrifice his longer form game. He's not a power player, he actually has a limited game which could suit him very well in ODIs and Tests, but he struggles to hit boundaries if you starve him of a sweep or a pull. And OK, maybe it wasn't the Indian thing, but actually the Kiwi thing seeing he's gone to CSK where Fleming bundles a lot of them in. Point being, he'd done very little in the format to warrant selection - which should be relevant, but you're saying it isn't.

If people are getting big money on the back of potential and one-off stuff, that just speaks further to how much of a circus the IPL is. They should go and play that, plus LIV golf on a planet somewhere far out the back of the galaxy so the rest of us can get on with competitions that actually mean a ****.

Just as an aside, he isn't a fantastic fielder. Maybe it was nerves throughout the summer but he dropped a fair few chances.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just watched the highlights, jeez Sodhi bowls some pies.

The catching continues to be appallingly bad, and it's the regular internationals (Chapman, Macewell) who seem to be the most at fault.

Some nice spells there from O'Rourke and Sears. Sears in particular really deserves to be in New Zealand's wt20 squad.

Pleased to see Robinson go well.

Had a catchup with some old work friends the other night. General consensus was that Finn Allen is a total hack-fraud.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watching the replay as I speak. Robinson's played some great shots in this innings. Have to admit I wasn't completely convinced about him leading into this series, but he looks like he belongs at this level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just watched the highlights, jeez Sodhi bowls some pies.

The catching continues to be appallingly bad, and it's the regular internationals (Chapman, Macewell) who seem to be the most at fault.

Some nice spells there from O'Rourke and Sears. Sears in particular really deserves to be in New Zealand's wt20 squad.

Pleased to see Robinson go well.

Had a catchup with some old work friends the other night. General consensus was that Finn Allen is a total hack-fraud.
He can bosh a six.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Well who cares, Pakistan will win the World Cup clash anyway.

Actually scratch that, pleasant surprise to see the B/C team (“the unsold” as T20-league supremacists would say) come back so strongly after 90 AO in the first game. Might even prompt Stead/Wells to look beyond the usual for the World Cup?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Up to the 15th over in the replay now, and if I didn't already know the result, I wouldn't love our chances - Fakhar on a roll, Neesham looking very hittable and only 59 from 34 needed.

EDIT: But then O'Rourke came on and bowled a superb over in the 17th.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Wonder if O'Rourke and/or Sears can force their way into the starting XI for the World Cup? Ferguson is presumably the first picked along with Milne. Boult and Southee less clear.