• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpire handling the ball. Now what?

Stapel

International Regular
During our yesterday evening's midsummer T20 match, we had some discussion in the field. And some more discussion after the match while sharing a beer and a laugh.

An opponent batsman managed to pull a rather poor delivery to square leg. The fielder at deep forward square got in the line, but the ball was then deflected by the umpire, who was desperately trying to get out of the way. The fielder was on the wrong foot and could watch the ball crossing the boundary, pretty much where he was just a second ago. We figured the umpire is a dead object and agreed it was four runs. Yet, it is fair to conclude it cost us 3 runs. I can imagine a few faces turning sour if this would had happened on the last ball of the match, in a tense situation. Could it be that the correct decision is a dead ball? Some dude even suggested it was 5 runs (seems silly to me).

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know Law 32.3.d says a catch is fair if a fielder catches the ball after it has touched an umpire, another fielder or the other batsman.

Hence it cannot be a dead ball it would seem :)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
A cricket umpire is no different to a football referee (apart from maybe wearing a silly hat), if the ball hits him and one side is disadvantaged it's their bad luck..

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Bad luck. Boundary stands.

Only called dead ball if the ball gets trapped in his clothing etc.