• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Too many soccer threads?

Are soccer threads ruining OT?

• Total voters

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
The problem isn't "if you don't like 'em don't go to them." There's so many of them that the other threads get pushed back onto page three,
Yeah, there are literally dozens of sport-related threads. There are two solutions IMO: 1) one thread per sport, strictly enforced; or 2) as I mentioned earlier, a sub-forum devoted to sports other than cricket. There aren't and really never will be enough active music/movie threads to require a sub-forum so I don't see this as an issue.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chaminda_00 said:
If a thread gets pushed back into page three surely that tells you majority of people don't want to talk about, even if you think its a good thread.
Don't actually understand your point. It's getting knocked back because the same people are posting in all the soccer threads. They're not different people.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes, let's just have one Soccer thread. While we're at it, one thread just for Music as well. And just one for anything to do with Politics. And one more that covers everything else. Just those four threads, and then maybe another 25 saying "I love Darren Murphy." What a great board Off-topic would be then.

An awful lot of people at this forum love Football, and just because some of you don't doesn't mean there are too many threads. There are 92 League teams in England, all get discussed in one thread, along with the national team, I actually think we do quite well as it is.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
benchmark00 said:
Don't actually understand your point. It's getting knocked back because the same people are posting in all the soccer threads. They're not different people.
He's saying that a thread gets moved back pages because no one has anything to say in it, not because of soccer threads. And besides, I'm sure a lot of the current activity is to do with the fact that there are holidays in Aus (and NZ, maybe?) at the moment, so more people from there would be online, and the fact that the soccer season is just starting up in the Northern Hemisphere. Give it a bit and they'll die down.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Yes, let's just have one Soccer thread. While we're at it, one thread just for Music as well. And just one for anything to do with Politics. And one more that covers everything else. Just those four threads, and then maybe another 25 saying "I love Darren Murphy." What a great board Off-topic would be then.

An awful lot of people at this forum love Football, and just because some of you don't doesn't mean there are too many threads. There are 92 League teams in England, all get discussed in one thread, along with the national team, I actually think we do quite well as it is.
If that's the case then I don't see why a sub-forum wouldn't work. There are more than enough threads and more than enough sports for this to be viable. As for andy's point about people only visiting certain parts of the forum, if they're only posting in soccer threads then they're already doing this anyway. For all I know there are people who do this already who I never see post because I don't visit these threads; having a sub-forum wouldn't change that.

Edit: and andy, I wasn't suggesting that there be a sub-forum specifically for soccer - this is Cricket Web after all - only that there be a sub-forum covering all sports other than cricket.

Last edited:

benchmark00

GeraintIsMyHero said:

Probably the worst post of the thread for mine, taking personally.

I also want the similar movie and song threads merged, does this mean I hate movies and music?

benchmark00

Adamc said:
Yeah, there are literally dozens of sport-related threads. There are two solutions IMO: 1) one thread per sport, strictly enforced; or 2) as I mentioned earlier, a sub-forum devoted to sports other than cricket. There aren't and really never will be enough active music/movie threads to require a sub-forum so I don't see this as an issue.
Good post, and the first suggestion is all that needs to be done.

benchmark00

Also should be noted that the amount of soccer threads doesn't reflect the amount of support the sport has on here,as the same people post in all of the threads.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Adamc said:
If that's the case then I don't see why a sub-forum wouldn't work. There are more than enough threads and more than enough sports for this to be viable. As for andy's point about people only visiting certain parts of the forum, if they're only posting in soccer threads then they're already doing this anyway. For all I know there are people who do this already who I never see post because I don't visit these threads; having a sub-forum wouldn't change that.

Edit: and andy, I wasn't suggesting that there be a sub-forum specifically for soccer - this is Cricket Web after all - only that there be a sub-forum covering all sports other than cricket.
A subforum seems sensible enough to me...why not suggest on the site discussion board?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
GeraintIsMyHero said:
A subforum seems sensible enough to me...why not suggest on the site discussion board?
Because it's so much more fun arguing in here. :p

benchmark00

andyc said:
He's saying that a thread gets moved back pages because no one has anything to say in it, not because of soccer threads. And besides, I'm sure a lot of the current activity is to do with the fact that there are holidays in Aus (and NZ, maybe?) at the moment, so more people from there would be online, and the fact that the soccer season is just starting up in the Northern Hemisphere. Give it a bit and they'll die down.
It's holidays for school children, not the majority of people. This isn't a new issue, it's been like this for a while, Gelman only just decided to work up the gumption to make a thread about it.

Matteh

pasag said:
They could be valid but thats not the point. If I want to do a Mitchellcheck for example it takes me half an hour to sift through a bunch of soccer threads to find it. And imo that is ruining OT.
:laugh: Spot on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Benchmark00 said:
One is too many IMO.
Yes, because that was such a constructive contribution to the thread

But sorry, i did forget that this was your board, so in future I'll make sure I ask your permission before I post anything, and I'll try make sure everyone else does the same thing

benchmark00

GeraintIsMyHero said:
Yes, because that was such a constructive contribution to the thread

But sorry, i did forget that this was your board, so in future I'll make sure I ask your permission before I post anything, and I'll try make sure everyone else does the same thing
Good.

By the way, I heard Beckham got a poor nights sleep last night, might want to start a thread on it.

andyc

benchmark00 said:
Probably the worst post of the thread for mine, taking personally.
Is it possible (not just saying you, cause GIMH brought it up first) to leave personal attacks out of this? What he's saying is valid though, IMO. If you have too many super threads, then there won't be many other threads in OT. Looking at the different soccer threads though, they all have their reasons. To go through all the ones posted by Pasag (it's my first look at many of these, so I could be wrong about their content)

CWXI Football - Sign Up-- Is a sim, and will soon have it's own forum among the other simming forums

1996 - 2006 (a decade of French football domination) ?-- just pointing out something

Fm 2007-- talking about a computer game

A-League 2-- talking about the Australian soccer league

*Official* English Football Season 2006-07-- talking about the English soccer league.

Xpert Eleven-- trying to gather support for an off-forum game. The individual thread means that those who don't follow soccer that closely and wouldn't normally visit a soccer sub-fourm might still get involved

2006/07 Premier League Fantasy Comp-- Same as above

2006/07 Premiership Tipping Comp-- Same as above

Sportal Premier League Dream Team-- And again

The Cemaes Bay FC Story-- as the thread begins "First of all, this isn't really strictly about football"

How Are You Doing On CM?-- again, about a computer game

CW XI - Football-- same deal with the sim

Soccer Simulation-- a sim again

As you can see, it would be highly impractical and just plain messy for these to all be incorporated into one super soccer thread. As for the sub-forum, a good deal of those threads involve limited knowledge of soccer (fantasy/tipping competitions, sims), so if a sub-forum were created, those that don't really visit it may not get involved in these kind of things, which they may do otherwise. I know I wouldn't really visit a soccer sub-forum, yet I was very eager to sign up for the CW sim.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes, because I often post about David Beckham.

I very rarely post about anything to do with any of Football's superstars. And as David Beckham is neither playing the English league, nor in the England team, he's not really relevant to the English Domestic Season thread anyhow.

So, here's a plan, grow up, get over yourself, etc

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
andyc said:
I know I wouldn't really visit a soccer sub-forum, yet I was very eager to sign up for the CW sim.
Oi, stop ignoring my posts.
me said:
and andy, I wasn't suggesting that there be a sub-forum specifically for soccer - this is Cricket Web after all - only that there be a sub-forum covering all sports other than cricket.

benchmark00

andyc said:
Is it possible (not just saying you, cause GIMH brought it up first) to leave personal attacks out of this? What he's saying is valid though, IMO. If you have too many super threads, then there won't be many other threads in OT. Looking at the different soccer threads though, they all have their reasons. To go through all the ones posted by Pasag (it's my first look at many of these, so I could be wrong about their content)

CWXI Football - Sign Up-- Is a sim, and will soon have it's own forum among the other simming forums

1996 - 2006 (a decade of French football domination) ?-- just pointing out something

Fm 2007-- talking about a computer game

A-League 2-- talking about the Australian soccer league

*Official* English Football Season 2006-07-- talking about the English soccer league.

Xpert Eleven-- trying to gather support for an off-forum game. The individual thread means that those who don't follow soccer that closely and wouldn't normally visit a soccer sub-fourm might still get involved

2006/07 Premier League Fantasy Comp-- Same as above

2006/07 Premiership Tipping Comp-- Same as above

Sportal Premier League Dream Team-- And again

The Cemaes Bay FC Story-- as the thread begins "First of all, this isn't really strictly about football"

How Are You Doing On CM?-- again, about a computer game

CW XI - Football-- same deal with the sim

Soccer Simulation-- a sim again

As you can see, it would be highly impractical and just plain messy for these to all be incorporated into one super soccer thread. As for the sub-forum, a good deal of those threads involve limited knowledge of soccer (fantasy/tipping competitions, sims), so if a sub-forum were created, those that don't really visit it may not get involved in these kind of things, which they may do otherwise. I know I wouldn't really visit a soccer sub-forum, yet I was very eager to sign up for the CW sim.
Hahaha Cameron, you've just shot yourself in the foot. You've said several times that the threads are practically the same. I'll say it again, have one thread for the sport, one thread for the games/fantasy leagues.

benchmark00

GeraintIsMyHero said:
Yes, because I often post about David Beckham.

I very rarely post about anything to do with any of Football's superstars. And as David Beckham is neither playing the English league, nor in the England team, he's not really relevant to the English Domestic Season thread anyhow.

So, here's a plan, grow up, get over yourself, etc
:laugh:

Great one.

andyc

benchmark00 said:
Hahaha Cameron, you've just shot yourself in the foot. You've said several times that the threads are practically the same. I'll say it again, have one thread for the sport, one thread for the games/fantasy leagues.
They're not all the same though. Trying to run/oragnise three different competitions from three different sites in the one thread would just be impossible. They need their own threads. It'd be like trying to organise poker games and the snooker tournament in the same thread.