• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thrilling draws/near draws

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Of course you're right - dunno why I've always thought it was Brearley - am I misremembering the derisory over rate as well?
Probably just confusing it with 1979 when Brearley set them 438 and they fell 9 short with 2 wickets in hand. I don’t recall the over rate being as issue. The Indians were a bit miffed by some iffy umpiring.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
"After tea England visibly slowed the over rate. In Brearley's defence, he was doing what numerous other captains have done over the years, and his two remaining quick bowlers* were tired. It did not stop the crowd jeering. In the half hour before the mandatory last 20 overs started, England managed only six overs", according to a Cricinfo article on the game.

The rate for the innings as a whole wasn't bad: England bowled 151 overs in 500 minutes.

*Hendrick, who had been much the tightest of England's pace bowlers that summer (129 overs, 12 wickets for 218 runs in the series) injured his shoulder early on the 5th day, and also missed the winter series in Australia.