• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thrilling draws/near draws

Bijed

International Regular
Just whilst discussion in the Ashes match thread has turned to the topic of draws, which are the most exciting/epic draws and almost-draws people remember from their time following test cricket?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
SA batting out the SSC test in 2014 (8 down I think they were in the end) to win the series was heartbreaking but pretty epic

Heboric

International Debutant
Now that I think a bit that Sri Lankan series in England. being a neutral didnt really put me on edge, but one cant deny the closeness of the games

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Prior in New Zealand one was really fun. Seem to remember him getting really lucky quite a lot.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There was one in New Zealand in the late 90’s when Danny Morrison batted for about 3 hours to save a match against England from a hopeless position. I don’t think he ever played again.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't remember India saving any in recent times. Have enjoyed a few as a "neutral" - NZ against England last year was fun.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The Prior in New Zealand one was really fun. Seem to remember him getting really lucky quite a lot.
He actually played his shots and could've been caught a number of times IIRC. Pretty sure the ball also rolled onto his stumps without dislodging the bails. Ironically given the recent discussion about him under pressure, Bell played a pretty underrated innings that match.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Josh Hazelwood run out at the bowler's end when Stoinis scored the massive ton at Eden Park was a goodie.

Binkley

U19 Captain
The first great draw I remember watching live was Mark Greatbatch’s epic at Perth in 1989. New Zealand has followed on and started the last day 4 down. They were soon 6 down, but Greatbatch was supported by a young Chris Cairns (on debut) and Martin Snedden and batted out the rest of the day. Paddy batted 11 hours in total and I can’t recall a single false shot.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
The first close Test match I paid attention to was Bangalore 2005. I think there were less than 5 overs left when the last wicket fell. I think it was also where we first saw the Younis we came to know and love.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
The last time I remember India saving a test match was Dhoni's last test match in 2014. That is the point #intent started so that adds up well.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was the Oval Test in 1982 when Gavaskar batted so well and Brearley 'cheated' India out of a victory by slowing the game right down