• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The most exciting matches ever.....

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
:O
Lets prepare a list of the most exciting cricket matches ever played....here are some i could think of at the moment.............

India-Australia tied test at madras..1980's

India-1 run loss to Australia in world cup'87

India-Australia test series in India'2001

India-England final of the natwest series'2002

India-Australia one dayers in sharjah'98..when Tendulkar wreaked havoc

Australia-South Africa semifinal in world cup'99

Any match when Shoaib Akhtar shatters the stumps.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Wait...I notice a similar theme in that list.

oh thats right, India feature's in 5 out of the 7 nominated.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
The best game I've seen was the Tied semifinal in the world cup.

I was about to go to bed about 35 overs into the Aussie innings but I somehow made a chair fall onto my pinkie-toe and brake it.

I then conned my Dad into watching the rest of the game. And what a game.

[Edited on 7/26/02 by Paid The Umpire]

Anoop

U19 12th Man
1. Australia vs South Africa WC Semis
2. India's one run loss at WC '92
3. India v West Indies tied match Benson & Hedges World Series '92
4. Australia v South Africa in SA, when Aus won chasing 330
5. India v Pak , 1998 India won chasing 314

Kimbo

International Debutant
what about the game in the vb series where aus beat nz. and bevan saved the aussies after loads of early wickets

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
What about when Cairns defeated South Africa in Brisbane, what about when Cairns defeated India in Nairobi?

look its impossible to do this, you mayaswell let Cricinfo wade through it all.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
lol yup there are so many

Natwest final , India vs Aus Tests , VB Series , Wrldcup 99 , so many i could go on and on it would never end really

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
that was the most worst give away by india... it was a good game but india never captialized.. agarkars weaknesses seen..

Kimbo

International Debutant
ooo, what about in womens cricket...
eng vs ind
india 59 all out
england wins in 33 overs!
wahoo, excitement plus

Reg

Cricket Spectator
I don't think one day games can be considered in this thread, due to the difference in the games. One dayers is like force feeding liquidised food to a baby... messy to say the least.. while the test game is Christmas lunch.. always the best.

The most exciting for me is the Syndey test against SA . a decade ago.
Warney was starting to make Cullinan his bunny; he took 7 for 56 in 27 in the first and 5 for 72 in the second.
South Africa were bowled out in the first day for 169 and the Aussies were 292 in day three..all out ( with allround contributions from the batsmen). SA were bowled out for 239 in day four and left the home side 116 to win.. At the end of play they were 63 for 4 ( all going to Fanie de Villiers)... with MWaugh and Border at the crease.

Day five , needing 52 to win, they were
63 / 5 Donald
72 / 6 Donald
73 / 7 de Villiers
75 / 8 run out

then Damien, who had watched the goings on from the other side, stuck around to support McDermott .. six runs to win and Damien plays his last square cut head high and is caught ( 6 runs in 106 mins ( 60 balls faced). He was then blamed for the result and banished into the wilderness for the next ten years...
110 / 9 Donald
110 all out.. Mc/Grath c&b de Villiers

Top scorer for Aus McDermott not out on 29 from 38 balls.

That was tension all the way... and I watched every ball on day five at 2am , knowing that the Aussies could not lose.. was I glad I lost sleep that night.
That was the last win by SA in Australia...ten years ago. :laugh:

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Most exciting of recent times (that's all I really know):

WC Semi Final 99 Aus VS SA...

Everytime I watch it, I still get goosebumps. Absolutely awesome (and even better because Aus. won...)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Definitely Headingley 81.
There were so many good things about this match which will stay with us for ever - Both's heroics, Bob Willis's finest hour which is probably the only reason why he is on the test match commentary team (he bores me to tears and is soooooooo negative), a great England victory, and, of course, a few bob for Dennis Lillee. So many winners :D

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Personally, for me, Austrailasia cup in sharjah in the 1980s when Pak beat India on the last ball, Miandad hit a sixer when Pak needed 4 runs to win, and 3 to tie. I think for pure finish, it tops others, even the Aus/Sa SF in the WC.

Tests, Aus/India in Calcutta with Laxman's heroics was a bit like a movie, you started with a feeling of sympathy and disappointment (and hatred in the case of anti Indian fans) for India, and during the course of the match almost everyone (maybe even some aussie supporters) was won over by this one hero. I have never been a fan of the Indian team, but in that one match I was genuinely excited with the Indian team, and wanted them to win.

Lara's brilliance against Aus in Wi was also special, and Botham's against Aus in the followed on, comefrom behind victory was good too I guess, never saw it myself though.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
LOL, Lille and Marsh both were losers sand winners at the same time.

A certain theme seems to run in my post as well, al the test match victories have been against the aussies. I think the reason is that the aussies have always been such a god thing and its always a big deal beating them.

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
india go to the west indies 1996........

first 4 tests.....tame draws...........

5 th and final test....................
india require 120 to win and to wrap up the series..................................

dramatic collapse sees india bowled out for 80 odd runs.....windies win series.....