• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

cnerd123

likes this
thank god Flem didn't **** this up for Adesanya

I wouldn't mind a rematch tbh but Romero's gotta go win something

cnerd123

likes this
actually I blame Flem for the weird boring flight and this annoying yoel post-fight interview.

> "people wanna see a fight"
> stands there doing nothing for 25 minutes

MrPrez

International Debutant
actually I blame Flem for the weird boring flight and this annoying yoel post-fight interview.

> "people wanna see a fight"
> stands there doing nothing for 25 minutes
Yeah agreed, Romero is full of **** complaining here. Adesanya was at least going for relatively consistent leg kicks to weaken Romero. Romero just danced the whole fight.

I don't follow UFC enough to know why Adesanya got booed more than Romero but feels like a poor call from the fans.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Weird fight. Crowd booing most of the time and yeah yoel’s post match interview was terrible. I guess joanna and zhang made it up. Have to watch it again.

Flem274*

123/5
broke the curse:cool:

lol at romero. get off the roids m8. you can't sit there for 25 minutes not doing anything bar the occassional bum rush and complain izzy wouldn't slug with you. total spud.

The other fights though were amazing. disappointed for joanna but the crazy girl was loving every minute of that ridiculous fight.

also why am i not surprised ***** is trying to claim izzy into his 84020475 teams/people he supports? your boi, jaysus.

Flem274*

123/5
People love Romero

I like him too. One of my favourite fighters to watch.
yeah online comments sections are outraged he lost.

never been a fan beyond his meme value. he's a ridiculous athlete and fascinating to watch how his opponents deal with him but gigantic slugging tanks aren't my thing.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
For most of the part Romero looked disinterested in the fight. Calling on doctor for that half a poke and complaining. Come on seriously

cnerd123

likes this
yeah online comments sections are outraged he lost.

never been a fan beyond his meme value. he's a ridiculous athlete and fascinating to watch how his opponents deal with him but gigantic slugging tanks aren't my thing.
the beauty of Romero's fighting is how he evolves over the course of a fight. He does **** all and loses rounds early in the fight in order to makes all his reads, and then once he figures out what he needs to do to land his bombs, he explodes, and it's always horrifyingly effective.

Izzy actually fought the perfect fight of keeping it really slow early on and not giving Romero a lot read and work with. And once he was comfortable with Romero's weird patterns and rhythms, he started pot-shotting him and accumulating damage (Yoel's leg was ****ed by the end). 2-2 going into the fifth, Yoel had to charge, Izzy got some counters and evaded well, and though it was close he did enough to get the win.

Yoel's really fun to watch usually, but not if he gets someone who isn't willing to give him the fight he wants.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
the beauty of Romero's fighting is how he evolves over the course of a fight. He does **** all and loses rounds early in the fight in order to makes all his reads, and then once he figures out what he needs to do to land his bombs, he explodes, and it's always horrifyingly effective.

Izzy actually fought the perfect fight of keeping it really slow early on and not giving Romero a lot read and work with. And once he was comfortable with Romero's weird patterns and rhythms, he started pot-shotting him and accumulating damage (Yoel's leg was ****ed by the end). 2-2 going into the fifth, Yoel had to charge, Izzy got some counters and evaded well, and though it was close he did enough to get the win.

Yoel's really fun to watch usually, but not if he gets someone who isn't willing to give him the fight he wants.
Izzy had this all figured out. He even said at the post match interview how yoel creates a false sense of security and then attacks. He also slowed it down initially and received a huge blow (the best in the match by yoel) in the first round. Second round went to yoel too I think. Then Izzy started to connect his kicks mostly and won the 3rd and 4th. He didn’t charge yoel much which was the right move. Yoel on the other hand could not cash in on the fifth as Izzy did not give him room for that much. Should have charged more at least in the last round. His last shot at the title and hes 43?

Flem274*

123/5
yeah i thoroughly enjoyed him v whitaker II, but i've never really enjoyed him for his style but the challenge he presents to other fighters. it doesn't help that he looks that amazing at 42. i am not convinced he's above board.

both fighters were to blame for this 'boring' fight. i found round 1 especially hilarious. it's so great both had such cynical strategies and were stubborn enough to just refuse to deviate from the plan for the entire fight. full jam is best jam.

however yoel lost me with his post fight wah. izzy owned what he did and it was funny as hell, yoel did not.

cnerd123

likes this
i mean if you enjoy him for the challenges he poses you're basically saying you enjoy his style right

i have no idea how he's never popped. i feel like Wei Li might be juicy too.

Flem274*

123/5
no i enjoy watching how people deal with a probably drugged up tank that can knock a **** out from nowhere.

robert whitaker played his game and won. what a man.

cnerd123

likes this
Whittaker went through hell and back twice and emerged with a belt both times. Absolute legend.

Then Izzy starched him.

Hope Izzy beat Costa, takes down Whittaker and Gastemum in rematches, and then beats the next up and comer in the ranks

Meanwhile Reyes to beat Jones in the re-match and trilogy fight and defend the belt two more times

Then we get Izzy vs Reyes for the LHW belt. Now that's gonna be an epic match-up

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yoel on the juice? Come on. You guys don't know other 42 year olds that get more shredded, more explosive and more muscular as the years go on? :ph34r: ****ing scary dude, Izzy dealt with him beautifully, fought a smart, tactical fight. Did what he needed to.

Paulo Costa next, although looking at him he looks like he'd have to cut to get to HW right now, how big was his head?!

Zhang-JJ was a fantastic fight, would be more than happy to watch another 5 rounds of that any day. JJ's forehead looked freaky at the end as well, not seen someones forehead swell up like that for a while.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
i love whittaker. izzy is fun and egregiously skilled but whittaker has so much class and some good wins behind him too.

cnerd123

likes this
I hope JJ retires. Wei Li is improving every fight and is approaching her peak, while Joanna is past it. I see the rematch being more brutal and comprehensive.

Also I think JJ tried to lead the fight too much. Got into too many exchanges in the pocket. Looked better when she was letting Wei Li lead and just tried to find counters and stick and move.

Flem274*

123/5
Yoel on the juice? Come on. You guys don't know other 42 year olds that get more shredded, more explosive and more muscular as the years go on? ****ing scary dude, Izzy dealt with him beautifully, fought a smart, tactical fight. Did what he needed to.

Paulo Costa next, although looking at him he looks like he'd have to cut to get to HW right now, how big was his head?!

Zhang-JJ was a fantastic fight, would be more than happy to watch another 5 rounds of that any day. JJ's forehead looked freaky at the end as well, not seen someones forehead swell up like that for a while.
it is extremely rare for a 42 year old to exceed his younger self or even get near it.

zhang and jj are amazing. was cheering jj because she's hilarious but i have a new level of respect for zhang.

cnerd123

likes this
it is extremely rare for a 42 year old to exceed his younger self or even get near it.

zhang and jj are amazing. was cheering jj because she's hilarious but i have a new level of respect for zhang.
yea KP was being sarcastic there lol. Joe Rogan was going on and on about how Yoel was still improving and wants to be the next Bernard Hopkins

TBF Yoel is a bit of a defensive genius, in that his defence is to blitz on you if you step into his range.

Zhang's really impressed me with her improvements from the Torres and Andrade fight. Her overall MMA game isn't as deep or clever as JJ, but it's pretty good and she's got freak athleticism and lots of courage to go with it. Rose vs Zhang is a fight I really hope we get to see.

If Gadelha got to fight and beat Grasso at UFC 246 then she would have been in discussion for the next tile shot. Right now I don't know who is next for Wei Li.