• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest ODI Innings of All Time

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Kapil 175 for me. Such big scores were a rarity in ODIs but for me the bigger thing is the context. For India had they lost that match vs Zim, it was curtains. And at 5-17 and 7-73 ,.they were probably looking to book their flights home.but then Kapil happened. Imagine the pressure on the young shoulders of Kapil. Already his captaincy was in the spotlight with Gavaskar's not so subtle shadow looming. And such a situation where he would be within his rights to feel rather betrayed by lack of application. But that one innings changed everything. Even Gavaskar was waiting with water for the skipper to come off the ground, in what conveyed much more. That's the moment when the team united in spirit and belief, which enabled an all time true underdog triumph and sparked off what would become eventually a trillion dollar market.

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
Kapil 175 for me. Such big scores were a rarity in ODIs but for me the bigger thing is the context. For India had they lost that match vs Zim, it was curtains. And at 5-17 and 7-73 ,.they were probably looking to book their flights home.but then Kapil happened. Imagine the pressure on the young shoulders of Kapil. Already his captaincy was in the spotlight with Gavaskar's not so subtle shadow looming. And such a situation where he would be within his rights to feel rather betrayed by lack of application. But that one innings changed everything. Even Gavaskar was waiting with water for the skipper to come off the ground, in what conveyed much more. That's the moment when the team united in spirit and belief, which enabled an all time true underdog triumph and sparked off what would become eventually a trillion dollar market.
I have to agree with you ? %

subshakerz

International Coach
Nah. All that is fine and all but end of the day it's a Zimbabwe bowling attack that is below international class, can't have the greatest innings be that. You can luck a long slog against such an attack.

Viv's innings was no slog though, some of the best true cricket shots you can see.

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
Nah. All that is fine and all but end of the day it's a Zimbabwe bowling attack that is below international class, can't have the greatest innings be that. You can luck a long slog against such an attack.

Viv's innings was no slog though, some of the best true cricket shots you can see.
Yeah agree England ??????? was a good team so to score 189* against them with 72% of Team’s Runs is a Great achievement.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant

While we lack TV evidence, accounts say Kapil's innings was hardly a blind slog.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've actually read reports that mention Kapils innings did indeed involve slogging and a few miscues. However, the quality of stroke play /luck involved is just one aspect of how great an innings is. Botham's headingley hundred had plenty of ugly hoicks too but that's absolutely a great innings for how it transformed a game (an important one, not 6th odi of the Vaaghbakri ODI tri-series)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't actually think JAMODI innings are worthless. But if an innings can be disqualified from this debate on the basis of strength of opposition , then it can be disqualified on the basis of the game being unimportant too. Burgey's opinions on cricket are mind-numbingly stupid and I resent the comparison. Kindly apologize.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't actually think JAMODI innings are worthless. But if an innings can be disqualified from this debate on the basis of strength of opposition , then it can be qualified on the basis of the game being unimportant too. Burgey's opinions on cricket are mind-numbingly stupid and I resent the comparison. Kindly apologize.
I mean, everybody has their criteria, but to me the game importance can be one too. Strength of opposition to me tho is far more important. Zimbabwe games should be seriously considered for greatest knocks ever.

Aside from Viv, the contenders for best ever innings are Lloyd 75 and DeSilva 96 being final knocks.