• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am the only one missing the joke/reference?
Today's the 50th anniversary of Hanif and his brother Sadiq Mohammad becoming only the second brother pairing to open the batting in tests, 1969.
And the 43rd anniversary of Sadiq and Mushtaq Mohammad becoming only the 2nd brother pairing to score centuries in the same test innings.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
Today's the 59th anniversary of Hanif and his brother Sadiq Mohammad becoming only the second brother pairing to open the batting in tests, 1969.
And the 43rd anniversary of Sadiq and Mushtaq Mohammad becoming only the 2nd brother pairing to score centuries in the same test innings.
Yes, it's 2028.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Where’ve you got pollock in your ranking?
I don’t really have a conclusive ranking of all AR’s atm, that was really just a select few. Based on a (very) cursory glance, I don’t think his batting was a significant enough improvement on Hadlee’s to overcome the bowling difference.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So do I. That's why I keep telling people to watch footage of him.
Okay, now go and watch highlights of Mark Waugh batting, look at his non-Test First Class average of 58 and his average after seven Tests of 61 and tell me you wouldn't rate him as one of the best batsmen of all time based on all that if not for what happened when he actually played a lot of Tests.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure have done. Jack Bond whacked him for four in nearly complete darkness to dump Gloucs out of the 1971 Gillette Cup. Clearly the bloke must have been complete rubbish.
Eric Hollies once bowled Donald Bradman for a duck. Abdul Razzaq once took 20 runs off a Glenn McGrath over. Jason Gillespie once hit a double ton. Inzamam-ul-Haq once successfully ran a tight single.

Ok, ok. That last one never happened, but what exactly is your point here?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Okay, now go and watch highlights of Mark Waugh batting, look at his non-Test First Class average of 58 and his average after seven Tests of 61 and tell me you wouldn't rate him as one of the best batsmen of all time based on all that if not for what happened when he actually played a lot of Tests.
I rate Mark Waugh extremely highly. Even higher than Steve Waugh. I'm literally the last guy who rates players on their stats. I also think Graeme Hick & Mark Ramprakash were absolute guns.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't get it. Are you saying that thinking Mark was better than Steve is stupid? Or that rating Hick & Ramps is stupid?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm a bit conflicted, I am generally of the substance over style viewpoint for batsman, but the other way around with fast bowlers.
I think fast bowlers are much easier to predict the effectiveness of with an eye test than batsmen so I don't think this is hypocritical per se, but even with the former you still get Mohammad Sami sometimes. I actually think Mohammad Sami is slightly under-rated on CW sometimes (or to put it more accurately, "over-hated", because no-one should really rate him), but the idea that he was the most unlucky person on Earth repeatedly for that period of time and actually roughly as good as Brett Lee doesn't really appeal to me.

I also have more faith in eye tests from people who have watched several entire games featuring a bowler than I do from people who watched a YouTube highlights package or two of their wickets. Wickets almost always look good. Bowling four balls doesn't make highlights packages. The statistical difference between McGrath and Gillespie (longevity aside) is an extra wicket every 170 overs and an extra four ball every 10 overs. We all recognise that McGrath was much better than Gillespie and we can see this with the eye when we watch them play entire Tests/series/years together, but we probably wouldn't spot it with highlights.

I'm not saying Procter wouldn't have been awesome. I'm just saying we don't really know, and unlike Grace's time for example the cricket he did play outside Tests/WSC wasn't really valued as something a cricketer should aspire to be awesome at. And if it was I would like to offer up Ronnie Irani a generation later.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Did Mike Procter actually just get categorised with Ronnie Irani? Or am I missing something?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Did Mike Procter actually just get categorised with Ronnie Irani? Or am I missing something?
Nah Procter was clearly much better than Irani, but he didn't really perform that much better than Irani at the level he played the bulk of his cricket at. If your argument is "eyes not spreadsheets" then fine but it leads you down some weird paths to the point where you're not going to convince many people you're onto a winner. I'm also not going to convince many people I'm onto a winner with my Siddle>Lillee=Ishant "spreadsheet" but at least I don't pretend I have a hoard of superior cricket watchers behind me with that ****.