• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And now coz I'm feeling evil

50+ scores per innings batting in the top 5:

Bradman: 36/69 (52.2%)
Smith: 48/101 (47.5%)

Now, obviously Bradman turned a lot more of these into 200+ scores lol, but if you're of the opinion that the value of runs starts to diminish after a certain point, and are looking for consistent contributions in as many innings as possible, well it seems as top 5 bats there's little to separate these 2

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Ok even if you take out the home series against England, that still leaves this series where ball has completely dominated bat and India 2017 where the ball was turning square and Smith dominated both series against a strong pace attack and the world's best spin battery both in friendly pitches. In both cases he's had little support.
Stephen. Smith's series vs India and England England donot compare to Lara 99. Lara faced Gillespie, warne, mcgrath and macgill. In this series, Smith's dominated a Anderson-less England. Still a very good attack but no where near great. In india yeah jadeja and ashwin are monsters at home but Smith doesn't have a 153* in the 4th innings shepherding rubbish batsmen like lara did. Or a 213 where his team was 37/4. Etc. Again, Smith now and in India, is more akin to Lara SL '01

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah it's not like people think less of Lara because the West Indies lost in 1999.
Seriously ?? Wi didnt lose that series. As a matter of fact, but for lara they would've been white washed. Wi led 2-1 going into the 4th test thanks to Lara (+ walsh and Ambrose).

harsh.ag

A valid question in my book is - Would Kohli be equal-to/better-than Smith as a test batsman if his game wasn't also designed to be as amazing at ODIs as it is?

harsh.ag

Wouldn't Smith be better as well then if all he had to focus on was Tests
Not just focus on tests. What I meant was that it's obvious that Smith has shortcomings as an ODI batsman and he seems to be more okay with that than he was with his shortcomings as a test batsman.

Kohli has less shortcomings as a test batsman than Smith does as an ODI batsman.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not just focus on tests. What I meant was that it's obvious that Smith has shortcomings as an ODI batsman and he seems to be more okay with that than he was with his shortcomings as a test batsman.

Kohli has less shortcomings as a test batsman than Smith does as an ODI batsman.
Maybe, but Smith has more strengths as a test batsman than Kohli as an ODI bat.

Spark

Global Moderator
Smith's principal weakness in ODIs is that he visibly doesn't care about them as much. He was really, really, really good prior to the 2015 WC.

Slifer

International Captain
I honestly think that Smith doesn't care what much about odis. In all honesty who does? Outside of the WC odis really mean squat imo.

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
Smith is a very good ODI batsman.

He averages 50 plus as a number 3 and also dominated the 2015 WC knockouts. IMO he is as good as Root in the ODIs.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
A valid question in my book is - Would Kohli be equal-to/better-than Smith as a test batsman if his game wasn't also designed to be as amazing at ODIs as it is?
If you want to get caught up in hypotheticals I guess that’s a valid question to try and compare them as test batsmen.

TheJediBrah

If you want to get caught up in hypotheticals I guess that’s a valid question to try and compare them as test batsmen.
You could also just do the opposite and say would Smith be a better ODI & T20 batsman than Kohli if he hadn't designed his game to be as amazing at Tests.

Probably more likely than the reverse tbh

Daemon

Smith's principal weakness in ODIs is that he visibly doesn't care about them as much. He was really, really, really good prior to the 2015 WC.
Only 300 balls to face, of which half will be played by his noob teammates. Probably doesn't see the value in it.

Imagine a timeless test match with an LMS rule. He'd get so hard for that.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe, but Smith has more strengths as a test batsman than Kohli as an ODI bat.
Slightly disagree, Daemon. Smith has all the strong points of a test batsman. Kohli has all the strong points of an ODI batsman. I don't see any weaknesses in them at all in their respective strong formats.