• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
christmas xi (born between the 24th and 31st of december)

alastair cook
marcus trescothick
joe root
brad hodge
travis head
shimron hetmyer
matthew wade (wk)
kyle jamieson
piyush chawla
matthew hoggard
simon jones

hm: junaid khan, evin lewis, andy balbirine
If it is the 12 days of Christmas it should be 25 Dec - 5 Jan. Good work with the side though.

shortpitched713

International Captain
So, having looked through an arseload of recent CW ATG threads, Grace's rankings, and drafts, I think I've come to what I believe would be CW's "consensus" ATG Test XI as of right now:

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Don Bradman *
Steve Smith
Middle order bat
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist +
Imran Khan
Muttiah Muralitharan
Seamer/Barnes
Glenn Mcgrath

I know there are going to be debates about damn near every spot other than Bradman and Sobers, but this looks about right, no?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Who wins the battle between

A XI from those who debuted between 1970-74

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
Kallicharan
Greig *
Imran Khan
Marsh +
Lillee
Thomson
Roberts

vs

A XI from those who debuted between 1975-79

Gooch
Haynes
Gower
Miandad
Border *
Botham
Kapil
Kirmani +
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Hadlee obviously should be in the 70-74 side, as should Barry Richards (at 3 with Viv and G Chappell moving down one). Also, no spinners? Obviously not many options, although I'd pick Wasim Raja for Greig to balance the attack.

Anyway 70-74 would win easily. Vengsakar unlucky to miss the 75-79 side. Good player.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
So, having looked through an arseload of recent CW ATG threads, Grace's rankings, and drafts, I think I've come to what I believe would be CW's "consensus" ATG Test XI as of right now:

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Don Bradman *
Steve Smith
Middle order bat
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist +
Imran Khan
Muttiah Muralitharan
Seamer/Barnes
Glenn Mcgrath

I know there are going to be debates about damn near every spot other than Bradman and Sobers, but this looks about right, no?
the CW consensus side is

Hobbs
Hutton (Gavaskar close behind)
Bradman
Tendulkar
split decision – likely Viv has the plurality
Sobers
Gilchrist +
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
McGrath (or Imran, depending upon the day of the week)

I reckon. And ftr the forum is pretty anti-Bradman for captaincy lol, so that would go to Imran or Hutton depending on who gets in.

shortpitched713

International Captain
the CW consensus side is

Hobbs
Hutton (Gavaskar close behind)
Bradman
Tendulkar
split decision – likely Viv has the plurality
Sobers
Gilchrist +
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
McGrath (or Imran, depending upon the day of the week)

I reckon. And ftr the forum is pretty anti-Bradman for captaincy lol, so that would go to Imran or Hutton depending on who gets in.
That's so freaking weird. I could swear we have Imran > Hadlee, and Smith > Tendulkar for my more recent (admittedly not totally scientific) survey. Not even going to comment on MuralivWarne or BarnesvMoreModernBowler because those are cans of worms I know damn well enough not to open, but I would cede there is definitely a heluva lot of debate on those.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's so freaking weird. I could swear we have Imran > Hadlee, and Smith > Tendulkar for my more recent (admittedly not totally scientific) survey. Not even going to comment on MuralivWarne or BarnesvMoreModernBowler because those are cans of worms I know damn well enough not to open, but I would cede there is definitely a heluva lot of debate on those.
I think a majority of CWers think Imran > Hadlee as a player in general, but many may prefer Hadlee in that team as the better bowler. I haven't really seen any evidence to suggest Smith > Tendulkar is a CW consensus either.

In reality I think #4, #5, #8 and the spinner are contentious enough to just not be considered consensus here though.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There is definitely no consensus on Smith being better than Tendulkar because a lot of posters won’t rank players who are still playing or select them in any All Time XI.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think the consensus would be

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Gilchrist
Warne
Marshall
McGrath

IMO McGrath and Marshall are easily the two best quicks. Hobbs and Hutton the two best openers. Obviously Bradman. Tendulkar's record across all conditions and vs all opponents over a mammoth time period gets him in. Sobers is Sobers, as Gilly is Gilly.

Warne vs Murali is a thing that wont be settled but I think in tests most people prefer Warne.

The number 5 spot often goes to Viv, but it could equally go to Lara. I dont consider Kallis, but others might. Then there's Chappell, Smith and a few others in contention.

The last bowling spot could go to any of Wasim, Imran or Hadlee. Or Barnes if you like that sort of thing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think the consensus would be

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Gilchrist
Warne
Marshall
McGrath

IMO McGrath and Marshall are easily the two best quicks. Hobbs and Hutton the two best openers. Obviously Bradman. Tendulkar's record across all conditions and vs all opponents over a mammoth time period gets him in. Sobers is Sobers, as Gilly is Gilly.

Warne vs Murali is a thing that wont be settled but I think in tests most people prefer Warne.

The number 5 spot often goes to Viv, but it could equally go to Lara. I dont consider Kallis, but others might. Then there's Chappell, Smith and a few others in contention.

The last bowling spot could go to any of Wasim, Imran or Hadlee. Or Barnes if you like that sort of thing.
Yeah I think Warne and Tendulkar may be too marginal to actually consider 'consensus' - they'd be over 50%, but probably not by much - but this is right I think.

I agree with your list and would go with Hammond and Imran for the other two spots.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I think Warne and Tendulkar may be too marginal to actually consider 'consensus' - they'd be over 50%, but probably not by much - but this is right I think.

I agree with your list and would go with Hammond and Imran for the other two spots.
Daily Reminder.... Lara > Tendulkar

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain

Hobbs, Hutton and Gavaskar might all get above 50% of the vote, despite there only being room for 2 openers.

There are a bunch of quicks who would split the vote. Maybe to the point where there are too many quicks with > 50% of the vote, and maybe to the point where a quick with less than 50% gets in.

The middle order is pretty similar.

Bradman, Sobers, Marshall, and Gilchrist would be players that almost everyone would vote for. It's a line in the sand, but I'm not sure anyone else is really a consensus pick.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hobbs, Hutton and Gavaskar might all get above 50% of the vote, despite there only being room for 2 openers.

There are a bunch of quicks who would split the vote. Maybe to the point where there are too many quicks with > 50% of the vote, and maybe to the point where a quick with less than 50% gets in.

The middle order is pretty similar.

Bradman, Sobers, Marshall, and Gilchrist would be players that almost everyone would vote for. It's a line in the sand, but I'm not sure anyone else is really a consensus pick.
Not sure about the Hobbs/Hutton/Gavaskar thing. I think Hobbs is amongst the consensus with either Gavaskar or Hutton as his partner.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not sure about the Hobbs/Hutton/Gavaskar thing. I think Hobbs is amongst the consensus with either Gavaskar or Hutton as his partner.
Yeah Hobbs would definitely have a consensus I think. I'm pretty sure Hutton would win a vote between him and Gavaskar but it'd probably be close so we probably shouldn't consider him a consensus pick.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1 Hobbs
2 Hutton or Gavaskar
3 Bradman
6 Sobers
7 Gilchrist
8 Imran or Hadlee, with a small but devoted Wasim faction
9 Marshall
10 Warne or Murali
11 McGrath

I reckon that's the best way to describe our forum consensus. 4 and 5 have lots of variables - Tendulkar would probably have some sort of plurality or even slim majority but between him, Hammond, Lara, Viv, Smith and maybe even Ponting or Headley I reckon we'd have all sorts of people picking different 4s and 5s so we can't say much about it.

Barnes used to be somewhat popular as a pick here but I think he's fallen out of favour enough to declare a consensus against him in the first XI.