• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah, Grout plaited his last in 1966, which appears to be a few years too early for anyone but JBMAC to remember.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Ah, Grout plaited his last in 1966, which appears to be a few years too early for anyone but JBMAC to remember.
If memory serves JMAC rates Don Tallon and Farokh Engineer as the best. Tallon I didn’t see so can’t comment aside from his reputation. Engineer I’m baffled by, but that’s his opinion.

trundler

Pant and Bairstow are noticeably sloppy. Paine is adequate. Sarfraz is subpar to uninspiring. Mushfiq is ok. Can't say much about Watling but he looks alright. Dowrich isn't very good.

What was the golden age of wicket-keeping?

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
Pant and Bairstow are noticeably sloppy. Paine is adequate. Sarfraz is subpar to uninspiring. Mushfiq is ok. Can't say much about Watling but he looks alright. Dowrich isn't very good.
Mushi is ok? He is one of the worst keepers I have seen. A good batsman though.

I don't think Sarfaraz is subpar. IMO he is very good. It's just that he looks unfit.

trundler

Mushfiq has gotten better recently. Was terrible before. Sarfraz takes the odd good catch but yeah, he isn't very fit to keep in tests.

trundler

So I'm exceptionally bored right now and decided to go through scorecards from the 60s. English cricket was at its strongest in that period and so theoretically England could field an XI very close to World XI standard. Around 1965 Barrington, Dexter, Cowdrey, Edrich and Graveney were all still playing. Boycott had recently debuted and was coming into his own even if he was a little inconsistent. Trueman played his last year in 1968, Statham in 1965. Snow debuted in 1965 but Statham was on his last legs so the 3 never overlapped. Nevertheless, allowing generously for hindsight a very strong XI consisting of:

Edrich
Boycott
Dexter
Cowdrey
Barrington
Graveney
Illingworth
Parks
Trueman
Statham
Snow

can be made. Plenty of big names.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think at some point in the 50s you could have produced something better

Hutton, Compton, May, Bailey, Evans, Laker, Tyson, Trueman, Bedser

morgieb

Edrich, Graveney, Cowdrey all class players you missed out on. Even Dexter though I think he only started around the 60's.

TheJediBrah

Who is the greatest wicket-keeper batsmen?

Is it Gilchrist, Flower, ABD, Sanga or anyone else?
Flower was not a keeper. ABD was adequate but not really a keeper-batsman either.

I wouldn't put either of those 2 in that category at all.

TheJediBrah

For me it would be between Gilchrist and Dhoni. I know Sanga kept a lot in the first part of his career, and wasn't bad at all, but I struggle to think of him that way given how much of his career (and the best part of his career) was played as a pure batsman.

Logan

U19 Captain
Wicket Keeper with an average of over 41+ and over 2000 runs

1. Adam Gilchrist 5570 runs @47
2. Andy Flower 4400 runs @ 53
3. Leslie Ames 2387 runs @ 43
4. ABD 2044 runs @ 57

Dhoni scored 4876 runs @ 38
Sanga scored 2966 runs @ 39

Last edited: