• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if you’re going to ignore Bradman’s contribution you may as well ignore Headley’s too. And yes yes we get it you don’t think a spinner is important because the Windies were great without one.
I said none of that. Why does everyone blow things out if proportion.
Bradman's the best batsman ever, he legit never faced attacks like these. Don't think he becomes irrelevant though.

Warne and Murali suffered at the hands of great and even very good players more than most ATGs, not sure he's going to be the difference maker.

All three teams are strong and can surprise any of the others.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Conrad Hunte overseas record is not that great, Gayle on the other hand can be a good handy spinner along with sobers so that we can go with full fledged West Indies Quartet. From gayle expecting a fast 30-35 runs to kick start the innings and it can be taken over by Richards and Lara. Overrating old players and undermining new players is not a sign of wisdom as perceived by some people in the group.
I watched Gayle's entire career, he's not in this conversation. Haynes or even Fredericks or Worrell over him.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa (T: 214 runs from 50 ovs)
BATTINGRBM4s6sSR
Gary Kirstenb Warne1842591042.85
Herschelle Gibbsb Warne3036516083.33
Daryll Cullinanrun out (Bevan)630390020.00
Hansie Cronje (c)c ME Waugh b Warne022000.00
Jacques Kallisc SR Waugh b Warne53921193057.60
Jonty Rhodesc Bevan b Reiffel4355702178.18
Shaun Pollockb Fleming20142711142.85
Lance Klusenernot out31163241193.75
Mark Boucher †b McGrath510130050.00
Steve Elworthyrun out (Reiffel/McGrath)11300100.00
Allan Donaldrun out (ME Waugh/Fleming/†Gilchrist)00700-
Extras(lb 1, w 5)6
TOTAL49.4 Ov (RR: 4.28)213
1999 World Cup Semi Final defeat for South Africa who has to be blamed ? They had 9 Batsmen who can bat from Kirsten to Boucher surprisingly all failed to send RSA to final.
Kallis for batting too slowly

CricketFan90s

First Class Debutant
Why? Unless he is better than Sobers, just let Sobers do the spin.
we need 2 bowlers to spin the ball as sometimes if the wicket is turning a captain may need 2 spin bowlers to cause problems to batsmen so sobers if he gets support from another spinner like gayle it will be a flexible option.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
we need 2 bowlers to spin the ball as sometimes if the wicket is turning a captain may need 2 spin bowlers to cause problems to batsmen so sobers if he gets support from another spinner like gayle it will be a flexible option.
I. V. A. Can fill that role if required, or just use Gibbs. Gayle was a liability in the field and not that good with the bat tbh.

CricketFan90s

First Class Debutant
Joel Garner took 56 Wickets at an Average of 17.43, Malcolm Marshall took 51 Wickets at an Average of 18.02 and Michael Holding took 31 Wickets at an Average of 23.48.
They Destroyed English Team with these 3 Bowlers in 1984 and 1986.

CricketFan90s

First Class Debutant
I. V. A. Can fill that role if required, or just use Gibbs. Gayle was a liability in the field and not that good with the bat tbh.
saw his stats he was not so good in tests. Richards was good in ODI's. Gibbs is a good option on turning wicket.