• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Top 5s (as of now)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
hey, i could have brought up the fact it was a dead rubber test but i didnt. smith failed in the live tests against Sri Lanka

you forced my hand!

Bijed

International Regular
Some of Kohli's dimissals in the Australia tour were outrageously bad too

That said, I agree with mr_mister that he'll probably be back in the runs soon enough. Just nowhere near the insane levels he was hitting for a while

mr_mister

anyway Smith's stats are insane so i can understand people having him as the clear cut number 1, but I look at all 4 of them as equal and would put equal faith in them all to score a ton on any random day in international cricket

ImpatientLime

International Regular
in the next 12 months we get to see root and kohli both attempt to put their previous horror tours behind them.

should be fun.

Gob

International Coach
hey, i could have brought up the fact it was a dead rubber test but i didnt. smith failed in the live tests against Sri Lanka

you forced my hand!
Smith made a half century in the second innings of the first test in turning conditions while chasing and overall was the only bat to look competent from the Aust side in that series.

Look my point is that you have to go back to 2013 to find the last series in which he averaged less than 40. Sri Lanka series was obviously a poor one from his standards but he still managed a 40 plus average which is quite different to being found out over and over again for five straight tests while averaging in single digits.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Smith made a half century in the second innings of the first test in turning conditions while chasing and overall was the only bat to look competent from the Aust side in that series.

Look my point is that you have to go back to 2013 to find the last series in which he averaged less than 40. Sri Lanka series was obviously a poor one from his standards but he still managed a 40 plus average which is quite different to being found out over and over again for five straight tests while averaging in single digits.
Barely says anything tbh.

mr_mister

yeah, i had actually forgotton about that 50 odd in the first test because it was overshadowed by SOK and Nevill's rearguard blockathon

and I'd say Smarsh looked competent in the series, considering he tonned up in the only test he played

anyway im just being devil's advocate now. your point is all well and good. statistically i cant argue Smith isnt above the rest. but he doesnt feel above them when i watch them all bat. not the way it must have looked when Bradman batted in a series next to Hammond and Hutton, and yes i know that is an extreme example.

there's no real consensus on who was better out of sachin and lara is there? to me its the same thing.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
yeah, i had actually forgotton about that 50 odd in the first test because it was overshadowed by SOK and Nevill's rearguard blockathon

and I'd say Smarsh looked competent in the series, considering he tonned up in the only test he played

anyway im just being devil's advocate now. your point is all well and good. statistically i cant argue Smith isnt above the rest. but he doesnt feel above them when i watch them all bat. not the way it must have looked when Bradman batted in a series next to Hammond and Hutton, and yes i know that is an extreme example.

there's no real consensus on who was better out of sachin and lara is there? to me its the same thing.
Sachin is better. Easy

Yeah i agree its difficult to chose between them when you watch them bat just like its difficult to choose between Mark Waugh and Sachin Tendulkar when in full flight so you have to revert in to numbers and what they had achieved so far and once you look at them in meaningful ways, Smith always comes on top and Virat always the last.

harsh.ag

Virat obviously below the other three. Needs a good series in England before he can claim to be in the same league.

On a batting friendly pitch against a good attack, it's not weird to prefer Kohli above the others though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This will totally be something that comes back to bite me in the ass, but I think we've got enough data now to say that Kohli is a tiny smidgeon below the other three. Smith, Root and Williamson, then Kohli just a tiny tier below them.

Kohli himself agrees with this btw :)

Gob

International Coach
Gob has got a crazy agenda against Kohli though.. :laugh: Will be fun times in the near future.
No i really do not i mean i would not call him the GOAT one day batsman if had any.

Stop insinuating that i have personal agendas against players that you like just because i happen to not to rate them as highly.