• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TEMPRAMENT !! Who has the best ?

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
I thought he was a tad bit too relaxed and composed. that bit of anxiety before the test that Bradman talks of was missing.

Mark Waugh is similar in temprament to Laxman. Relaxed, cool, almost detatched.
I thought so to until I had the opportunity to read his autobiography which he released soon after his retirement/dumping. He does admit to pre-match nerves and more than one sleepless night. However, he also went on to say that making an issue out of it didn't achieve anything so he would make it a point to remain calm.

It was that calmness that new members to the team remembered and it often helped settle their debut nerves.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Western Warrior said:
I thought so to until I had the opportunity to read his autobiography which he released soon after his retirement/dumping. He does admit to pre-match nerves and more than one sleepless night. However, he also went on to say that making an issue out of it didn't achieve anything so he would make it a point to remain calm.

It was that calmness that new members to the team remembered and it often helped settle their debut nerves.
Very interesting. BTW, how is the book ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
And the man who fits the DON's criteria for best temprament is......

Rahul Dravid
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

A straw poll at this stage shows 11 people opting for Rahul Dravid (for 6 of them he is their sole choice). S. Waugh is second with 3 nominations (1 of them an only choice). Mark Richardson, Strauss and Thorpe got 2 nominations each (one for Strauss being conditional -will become).

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
As cricket books go it is quite good. Usually one receives very little insight into the players private lives but Mark does give the reader an insight into what goes in behind closed doors. Especially interesting is his 'affair' with his until recent partner. Most people would try to hide this but Mark is honest and open about it which is refreshing.

From a cricket point of view it is also quite a good read. I always saw him as a very debonaire and relaxed player but he does admit to pre-game jitters and often questioned his worth, especially his inability to make really big test scores.

All in all I would recommend it, if for nothing else than the photo of him and Steve aged 7 wearing the cowboy costumes. :D

Waughney

International Debutant
SJS said:
I've read his biography (didn't know he had an auto-bio) He writes bits in it too. The biography is very good and gives a very accurate description of Mark himself and his life.
I would've thought that he'd be too modest if he wrote an autobiograpgy.

twctopcat

International Regular
Good call on chanderpaul, all that nervous energy and his constant twitching belies his abundance of talent. Impressed me alot this summer against england when everyone else was crumbling around him.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
Waughney said:
I've read his biography (didn't know he had an auto-bio) He writes bits in it too. The biography is very good and gives a very accurate description of Mark himself and his life.
I would've thought that he'd be too modest if he wrote an autobiograpgy.
Sorry all, Waughney is right. It was a biography in which excerpts were written by Mark himself. Yet despite that it is still an excellent read with very honest and accurate insights into one of the most elegant players of the modern era.

masterblaster

International Captain
I'd say Anil Kumble, Glenn McGrath and Shaun Pollock in their prime. All of these guys just keep coming and coming at you. Im sure there are plenty more, but these three stand out.

shaka

International Regular
IMO it would be Warne and McGrath who have been successful in non beneficial conditions

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Of those one has seen, Richard Hadlee(in the second half of his career) amongst the fast bowlers and Bishan Bedi amongst the spinners seemed least affected (bowlingwise that is) by
  • the situation of the game,
  • the way they were being treated by the batsmen,
  • who was bowling at the other end and how he was fairing etc.
I suppose this would define a great temprament in a bowler for me.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would have to throw Curtly Ambrose's name into the ring. The likes of McGrath, Hadlee etc do have a reputation of being able to deliver sustained periods of good bowling but I have seen all of them with slumped shoulders at the end of unproductive innings.

However, Ambrose was simply ruthless. His line and length never wavered nor did his desire to punish the batsman for having the gall to remain not out. Absolutely beautiful to watch.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Western Warrior said:
I would have to throw Curtly Ambrose's name into the ring. The likes of McGrath, Hadlee etc do have a reputation of being able to deliver sustained periods of good bowling but I have seen all of them with slumped shoulders at the end of unproductive innings.

However, Ambrose was simply ruthless. His line and length never wavered nor did his desire to punish the batsman for having the gall to remain not out. Absolutely beautiful to watch.
have to agree :D

Although I have not seen him live (on the ground) except on telly but you are right, he seemed unflappable. I thought Waqar was pretty cool too.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
have to agree :D

Although I have not seen him live (on the ground) except on telly but you are right, he seemed unflappable. I thought Waqar was pretty cool too.
I agree also, especially in the early years before age and injury took 5-7km/h off his pace. The inswing he got, combined with pace in the mid to high 140km/h made him almost unplayable.

That said he did have a problem with batsman moving down the line to attack him. He tended to take it personally and start bowling short which gave the batsman a chance.