• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tana Umaga to Retire

James

Cricket Web Owner
This is a bit of shock

All Black captain Tana Umaga will sign off from international rugby tomorrow - his mind and body unable to endure two more seasons until the next World Cup.
Will be interesting to see who comes in as captain.

James

Cricket Web Owner
It does say in the article:

The lingering fallout from the tackle on Lions captain Brian O'Driscoll, relentless media criticism in Britain and death threats in Ireland, all strengthened Umaga's conviction

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
wonder how much the controversy vis a vis O'Driscoll impacted on this decision
Despite what that article suggests, it seems that Umaga was more concerned about having to be "nursed" through to the World Cup. He didn't want any corners cut for him just because he was All Black captain. Possibly a good call for him, although that leaves me equally as keen to see McAlister and Smith together.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good on him for going out on his own terms, and in Smith we have a pretty good replacement.

He was certainly a very good captain though.

Blaze

Banned
McCaw will take over as captain. Really sad IMO. Umaga is still the best centre in New Zealand, his defensive work is second to none.

James

Cricket Web Owner
That would be the obvious choice I would agree, but with McCaw being injured so often could we afford to do that?

Blaze

Banned
James said:
That would be the obvious choice I would agree, but with McCaw being injured so often could we afford to do that?

I see no problem with him getting injured. It is not like it is a body issue and he is injury prone, he just needs to sort his head out. He will be fine IMO and a great captain.

Tim- Chris Jack isn't strong enough IMO. Doesn't command respect like Umaga or McCaw. The only other option is Oliver and he isn't a guarenteed first team starter.

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
I think Umaga is a bit past it

What do you guys think of having Gear at centre with Rokocoko in the right wing and Sitiveni on the left

Blaze

Banned
Lyell_Chris said:
I think Umaga is a bit past it

What do you guys think of having Gear at centre with Rokocoko in the right wing and Sitiveni on the left

No way. Gear is not a test centre.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I admire Tana's decision to step down, particularly his declination to be used sparingly. I'll miss him, though. For me he was the most immediately identifable All Black and had developed a great presence as captain.

ashes winners

Cricket Spectator
Voltman said:
Another sucker who believes everything he reads in the English tabloids.

Run along now.
Errrr no just what i see.If you think what he did to O'Driscoll was fine then you are the ***** you nobhead.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
ashes winners said:
Errrr no just what i see.If you think what he did to O'Driscoll was fine then you are the ***** you nobhead.
I saw what he did. It was reckless, but unfortunate. It was two players going in to clean out a player using the leg-lift technique taught around the world, and unfortunately they happened to attempt to clean him out at the same time.

This is the same Tana Umaga who won a special Fair Play award for clearing Colin Charvis' tongue from his airway after he was knocked out.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ashes winners said:
Good riddance to the dirty thug.
That's not a very nice thing to say. Whatever you think of the O'Driscoll tackle (I personally think it can't have been deliberate, that'd be completely opposite to his behaviour in every other match I've seen), Umaga has been a brilliant servant to NZ rugby and a top-class leader, and as indicated by the Charvis injury Voltman mentioned, a good sportsman.

I think he should be honoured for his contribution to NZ rugby in this thread, not labelled a dirty thug.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
His going to be missed by the rugby community, one of the best centres i've ever seen and brilliant captain. Also who ever said there was anything wrong with thugs in rugby. :D