• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Young pops to 43.
Double pop on Sahar to take him to 36(47)
Kamal’s fitness hasn’t moved from 5% in a week or longer. He injured but should be recovering, no?
I don't think the stamina changes while injured... once fit the stamina will start changing again. If you need him back quickly recuperation reduces injury a lot.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
I do think I payed over the top for him… if his pace had already been increased then it might of been okay. I think someone less interested kept pushing the price up. But I really was willing to pay above board for the captaincy. It means I can hopefully have him at 14+ by the time he gets to senior cricket.

Your guy is probably gonna go for somewhere between $5-10 K. He might get to 20 K, but think the fielding will hold him back.
I dont think you overpaid for him. Money is relative as well of course in real life and in Stumped - if you are sitting on $5m is it only 10% of your funds. He maybe fills in a piece of your jigsaw and if you wait you don't find another and every week the other components of the team, or squad age , so that if you wait for the same guy to come along $200k cheaper (at some unknow time or 'never') then the 'optimum moment ' has passed because all the other players are ageing whilst waiting for this 'missing link'.

On my bloke the fielding is a big negative - when i get a good fielder I'm pleased with myself , when i get a poor one I try and convince myself , oh but how useful si fielding (because i cannot see the ratio of dropped catches- but if you look at the ratio of cathces to matches of a good fielder to a bad one they are normally double - so assuming a good fielder is taking 90% of his opportunities a bad one is only taking 45%!) - i am not going to analyse ball by ball my maqtches .... but how much is the average dropped catch worth ?? (very hard of course it can be 0 to 100 depending on the player and the circumstances ) i guess you could work it out .... but anyway i try not to pay or keep anyone who is not a minimum of 10 these days!

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
Going back to the above ..... some musings on the importance of fielding

My best fielder has a bullet arm and averages 0.41 catches a match. Let's remove him and then my best fielder who has an actual of 10 for fielding averages 0.31 catches a game - my worst fielders who have an actual of 3 to 5 for fielding (some are youths so this will improve) have an average of 0.11 catches a game

Can we assume then that if my worst fielder plays instead of my best they will take 0.2 catches less a game.?

More controversial is that the average catch is worth say 25 runs ? the average innings of any particular player in a batting line up - you can play with this (it's just an estimate but it is not far off).

Therefore the value of playing someone with 0.31 catches an innings instead of 0.11 is 25 runs x (0.31 - 0.11) = 5 runs per match

This is just one player though - assume you focus on your fielding and over time your team improved its fielding average from 0.15 to 0.25 (Excluding the keeper)

Then based on above your saving in dropped catches would be 25 x 0.1 x 10 = 25 runs per innings - I think that may not be too bad an estimate. It is a worthy amount but not so high that a poor fielding side which has good batters and bowlers cannot defeat a good fielding side - which is what I see day in day out

Of course my theories are averages over the long term. In reality , in individual matches no one takes 0.3 of a catch and that one drop can be worth 100 runs if the batter is an attacking skilled opener or 0 if it is a swishing tailender .....

But I have never seen anyone try to numerically evaluate the importance of fielding on the site down to runs - so there is my stab

What do you think?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The fielding question also becomes part of the captaincy question, since it dictates player positioning. I also believe its effected by bowler type and pitch conditions, but stand to correction on that.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
The fielding question also becomes part of the captaincy question, since it dictates player positioning. I also believe its effected by bowler type and pitch conditions, but stand to correction on that.
I agree- better captaincy, then fielders are put in the right places at the right time to the right bowlers so the potential to improve your catches per game improves (also influenced by the strength of opposition of course- if you play a BOT you are likely to take 10 wickets and say 5 catches - if you play a 80k team you will be lucky with 1 catch in the game at best)

However all these variables would change the overall catching rates of your players but not the relative ratio of one player to another - (well unless you were Yorktshire CC of course and your captain had it in for certain players :) )

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I agree- better captaincy, then fielders are put in the right places at the right time to the right bowlers so the potential to improve your catches per game improves (also influenced by the strength of opposition of course- if you play a BOT you are likely to take 10 wickets and say 5 catches - if you play a 80k team you will be lucky with 1 catch in the game at best)

However all these variables would change the overall catching rates of your players but not the relative ratio of one player to another - (well unless you were Yorktshire CC of course and your captain had it in for certain players :) )
It would if your captain is consistently putting in the better fielder in the correct catching positions... meaning that one player never has to take catches.

The point being that good fielding across the team can possibly help poorer captaincy, or on the reverse having some few poor fielders is compensated by good captaincy hiding them.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
It would if your captain is consistently putting in the better fielder in the correct catching positions... meaning that one player never has to take catches.

The point being that good fielding across the team can possibly help poorer captaincy, or on the reverse having some few poor fielders is compensated by good captaincy hiding them.
That would mean the captain is displaying better captaincy skills for one fielder than he does for another - I am not sure the ME would be that skilful. More likely a captain of x skill make xx% of mistakes and one of y skill only y% of mistakes but across all fielders not just the best or worst ones- e.g they are random and therefore over the longer period even out to the same detriment of all fielders

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That would mean the captain is displaying better captaincy skills for one fielder than he does for another - I am not sure the ME would be that skilful. More likely a captain of x skill make xx% of mistakes and one of y skill only y% of mistakes but across all fielders not just the best or worst ones- e.g they are random and therefore over the longer period even out to the same detriment of all fielders
They explain the captaincy skill as the ability to place the best players in the best positions for their abilities... including traits like close catcher etc. Poor captaincy is more likely to put the 9 skilled fielder in a catching position, whereas a high skilled captain will put the 16 skilled fielder in close. (How this works exactly in the the program is a... who knows!)

Field Placement: The captain places the fielders based on the fielding setup you chose for that over. A better captain positions the fielders better (eg where the ball is more likely to go, and doesn't place outfielders directly behind infielders, for example). A better captain will also put the best fielders where the ball is more likely to go.
Your captain will use his ability to set the field to your orders, placing fielders within the close catching, infield and outfield areas based on his assessment of their ability.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
w
Going back to the above ..... some musings on the importance of fielding

My best fielder has a bullet arm and averages 0.41 catches a match. Let's remove him and then my best fielder who has an actual of 10 for fielding averages 0.31 catches a game - my worst fielders who have an actual of 3 to 5 for fielding (some are youths so this will improve) have an average of 0.11 catches a game

Can we assume then that if my worst fielder plays instead of my best they will take 0.2 catches less a game.?

More controversial is that the average catch is worth say 25 runs ? the average innings of any particular player in a batting line up - you can play with this (it's just an estimate but it is not far off).

Therefore the value of playing someone with 0.31 catches an innings instead of 0.11 is 25 runs x (0.31 - 0.11) = 5 runs per match

This is just one player though - assume you focus on your fielding and over time your team improved its fielding average from 0.15 to 0.25 (Excluding the keeper)

Then based on above your saving in dropped catches would be 25 x 0.1 x 10 = 25 runs per innings - I think that may not be too bad an estimate. It is a worthy amount but not so high that a poor fielding side which has good batters and bowlers cannot defeat a good fielding side - which is what I see day in day out

Of course my theories are averages over the long term. In reality , in individual matches no one takes 0.3 of a catch and that one drop can be worth 100 runs if the batter is an attacking skilled opener or 0 if it is a swishing tailender .....

But I have never seen anyone try to numerically evaluate the importance of fielding on the site down to runs - so there is my stab

What do you think?
wut.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
They explain the captaincy skill as the ability to place the best players in the best positions for their abilities... including traits like close catcher etc. Poor captaincy is more likely to put the 9 skilled fielder in a catching position, whereas a high skilled captain will put the 16 skilled fielder in close. (How this works exactly in the the program is a... who knows!)
i have to think that over!

ataraxia

International Coach
Felt like I was carrying Gert in T20s and wasn't happy with his performances. Have decided to give Azam a crack at the top of the order - not necessarily paying dividends.
My T20 strategy is a bit all over the place, but one thing that I have done my best to consistently follow, is that one needs to make use of the powerplay. You get those first overs at fielding setting 6, whereas for the rest of the innings it's mostly 1, and 1, and 1. So Kamal Azam opening. Eh... Would genuinely far rather him at #7 (with Hlengwa opening obvs). Simmonds of AXI did surprisingly well down there.