• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Tonderai Mhlabandlovu with a 22.2 batting average in DEV Friendly games. 16.23 in all Friendly games. Was looking at my squad and thinking he might survive end of season restructure - but an early dismissal today and apart from one great innings v GG CC in CWC5 not had all that much impact. At 33 batting and at 17years, 10weeks he'd make the next CWC Dev tournament most likely but really not putting up the runs.

cnerd123

likes this
FHK batting imploded in a must-win Dev game. With 6 wins and 7 losses we might be facing relegation to Dev Div 3 unless we beat The Wild Geese in our final match. And even then, we need Moooo to win their game too.

This is the problem with Golden Generations. In about 5 season's time FHK will be struggling.

ataraxia

International Coach
ZCC chugging along in the AXI sod. Samra opening didn't work; he blocked and he pushed until Winton got one through him. Ahsan and de Melho (he of 7fa fame :ph34r:) rebuilt, fifties each. Now, entering the back third of the innings, with Raun settling in, they'll attempt to hit off the finger-spinners in batting-friendly conditions.

ataraxia

International Coach
249/7. In the end what must be a disappointing effort, even with handy cameos from Younis and Ghani. Ahsan played out 15 consecutive dots from the 45th to the 49th - got to tired to capitalise; 80* (138).

With the addition of Smith, we head into the second innings as favourites.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea Raun and Samra not firing cost us. Shafi Ibrahim also getting nosebleeds up at number 5.

We've taken an early wicket, but a below par score will be tough to defend. Especially with Younis and Jayetileke as my support spinners. This is my 'in case we get relegated to Div 3' SOD lineup - two active Dev players in the XI. 60k ratings still decent considering.

ataraxia

International Coach
Great (and for me reassuring) Murdoch knock, but potentially match-losing stuff from Dee at the other end.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Time for some player advice again? I have two finger spinners, Watts and Sean, I`m training up for the TMOs, unlikely both will make the team long term.

But I`m struggling to get them to improve skills at this stage as quickly as I would like. Now Watts has a bowling potential of 49 but is older by 18 months and also struggles in both stamina and fielding. Sean provides better stamina and fielding, and has a trait that works with his bowling.

I don't see the value of keeping both but maybe I should and also if I do sell one should it be Sean or Watts? I`m thinking of getting rid of Watts at this stage.

cnerd123

likes this
Young Chamath Jayetileke was holding his own, and even had two hard catches put down off his bowling, but then Kiwi Nat slogger took him for 22 runs in 5 balls. Scarring.

ataraxia

International Coach
@StephenZA: I don't really see the point of having a spinner if your home pitch is green. I do think Watts is definitely salvageable, but he'll have to play more than Dev matches I reckon. He should bowl decently in seniors on dry / high wear pitches even rn. re Sean low ACC puts me off lol

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
@StephenZA: I don't really see the point of having a spinner if your home pitch is green. I do think Watts is definitely salvageable, but he'll have to play more than Dev matches I reckon. He should bowl decently in seniors on dry / high wear pitches even rn. re Sean low ACC puts me off lol
BQ is irrelevant...

On a serious note. What I have found is that the lack of bowling variation may be affecting my overall wicket taking ability. I also want to have a spinner available for when I do play away from home. I had hoped that the Fast men would compensate on the dryer surfaces but it does not seem to be working. I may just hold off on the sale for now and see if I drop down to div 3 again (frustratingly!) but might give me an option with regards salvaging them and using them in more than the dev games.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
Time for some player advice again? I have two finger spinners, Watts and Sean, I`m training up for the TMOs, unlikely both will make the team long term.

But I`m struggling to get them to improve skills at this stage as quickly as I would like. Now Watts has a bowling potential of 49 but is older by 18 months and also struggles in both stamina and fielding. Sean provides better stamina and fielding, and has a trait that works with his bowling.

I don't see the value of keeping both but maybe I should and also if I do sell one should it be Sean or Watts? I`m thinking of getting rid of Watts at this stage.
Why do you train players not to keep them for the long term is my Tom Hanks 'BIG' question! (have not looked at them just read the post only)

I don't see DEV as a stand-alone end in itself merely a journey by which one 'develops' players for your senior team - sure some players will not last the journey or when they get their find the parameters for entrance to it have changed... but i never start training a player with the thought he is just for the short termm in DEV - that seems like dead training- unless you are wheeling and dealing for TM profit?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Why do you train players not to keep them for the long term is my Tom Hanks 'BIG' question! (have not looked at them just read the post only)
Because I don't know for sure which will be the better bowler when I got them (at about the same time) and I got them both for a decent price. Of course the teams needs changes and I find I`m not necessarily able to give both the game time required to get them where I would like, and the training does seem to vary between players. So after a while rather than keep going I make a decision (even if this may take awhile) and sell one rather than keep investing in both and neither become good enough.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
I think it is better you just make a decision at the time and go with it . IF you don't you are paying two wages and using up IGT and nets on both which is stunting the development of the one you keep - you will end up with two mediocre players after 1 season of 'half rations' and then sell one anyway when you could just have one good player after 1 season. IF the two players you are dicding upon are so close that you cannot really tell then it is far more important you just choose 1 of them and give them 50% more netting and IGT than worry if one is a tiny bit better than the other as that will quickly be overtaken by the better IGT and Net attention you give just 1 player

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think it is better you just make a decision at the time and go with it . IF you don't you are paying two wages and using up IGT and nets on both which is stunting the development of the one you keep - you will end up with two mediocre players after 1 season of 'half rations' and then sell one anyway when you could just have one good player after 1 season. IF the two players you are deciding upon are so close that you cannot really tell then it is far more important you just choose 1 of them and give them 50% more netting and IGT than worry if one is a tiny bit better than the other as that will quickly be overtaken by the better IGT and Net attention you give just 1 player
They both getting the same net and training right now, at development level, its more senior level training (i.e. an occasional T20 or SOD) stuff that I will not be able to fit both into... but I might be able to fit one in later. So i`m just contemplating whether I need both. Long term I do not think that both the spinners will make it into the senior side; so right now I could sell one (hopefully get some monies in) and replace him with something that fits the squad better. Right now having both does not cause issues because I have nothing yet to replace them with on the development track... but I am looking at what might be better for the team future. So I will keep an eye out to bring in another player and likely sell one of the spinners. But there is no rush.

As an aside I do find myself making quite a decent profit on many of these players I train up for a season or two then sell. Its not a strategy but not often I lose monies on them.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
They both getting the same net and training right now, at development level, its more senior level training (i.e. an occasional T20 or SOD) stuff that I will not be able to fit both into... but I might be able to fit one in later. So i`m just contemplating whether I need both. Long term I do not think that both the spinners will make it into the senior side; so right now I could sell one (hopefully get some monies in) and replace him with something that fits the squad better. Right now having both does not cause issues because I have nothing yet to replace them with on the development track... but I am looking at what might be better for the team future. So I will keep an eye out to bring in another player and likely sell one of the spinners. But there is no rush.

As an aside I do find myself making quite a decent profit on many of these players I train up for a season or two then sell. Its not a strategy but not often I lose monies on them.
You have a squad of 18 and 12 of them are under 22 so do you not have 9 players who have the opportunity to net with at least 2 stars for something- - ideally u have 9 players always who need a lot of netting and as 2 or 3 drop off from the top each season as they near or reach 22 they are replaced at the bottom by 16 year olds so maximising the stars you can coach on 9 nets. However I would rather even use up a net on a 21 year old who is going to be part of the future than on a 17 year old i am going to sell - because the objective is to create the best team possible as i see it - not use your coaching spaces as a money farm which a player with no future is (if he even makes money) but i totally get that sometimes YP, revenues, TM opportunities do not provide that smooth conveyor belt - i see Toddii is a late bloomer - if he is not netting maybe you are missign a chance to get 1 more out of his SS ? (difficult to know without seeing the coaching stars)

One relevant point to this is the impact of coaching stars which I have never had a definitive answer from anybody on Stumped about- So you might assume that 5 stars gives 100% of total coachin speed possible for any specific player based on his age and gap to POT. And then 4 stars 80% , 3 60% down to 1 star 20% but maybe 1 star is 0% 2 is 75 3 is 87 4 is 95 and 5 100 - we don't know and that impacts greatly how u decide who is worth bothering to coach or not I feel - if anyone does know about coaching stars then i am all ears :laugh:

Last edited: