• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

ataraxia

International Coach
AXW and AXI are having a double-header. In the SOD, despite a mere 4K separating the sides, it was a trouncing. Ibrahim Zahid followed his mate Benji Butler's example, scoring 76 (84). What really helped in AXI compiling up 376-7 was Branning's 97 (53). AX-W did decently to get 182.

They're having better luck in the T20, AXI are right now 115-8 (14).

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
The Net Theorists (TNT) will be joining soon...
Well done Stephen - I see they are already active on the TM - it's lovely when you forst begin and can spend $1k on a player and improve your squad! Doesn't last long!

Apologies to ***** for nabbing a player you had bid on - I haven't been able to be on much recently and just logged in and he (well to me anyhow seemed a bargain with 40 actual and only 24)

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
GG are chasing 288 against TMO.

It’s gonna be a tough task against their bowlers.

I am once again impressed with my young Nyawo…he picked up four wickets and was excellent in the death. He’s surely one for the future, if not for his precocious attribute.

cnerd123

likes this
Nailbiting win for BD to end the season!

We finish 2nd from last, but were just 3 points away from qualifying for the semi finals! Zimbabwe had just as many wins as us but made it through by virtue of bonus points. Loads of teams with 4 wins and 5 losses, so we did well in context.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So how do you guys feel about line-and-length bowling in stumped... it is portrayed as high quality bowling (at least in numbers, through quality) but I find that overall it gives away more runs than it takes wickets. Particularly against aggressive batsmen. I would expect that while you get hit more you should be taking wickets, but variation seems to account for more wickets and means more, than 'high' quality.

cnerd123

likes this
Low accuracy players give away plenty of wides and boundary balls in my experience. Hard to set them up with attacking fields. When I look at the career numbers of my players, I see a definite correlation between accuracy and economy rate. I think movement and variation are needed to get wickets, and that a high accuracy guy who doesn't have those skills would only be useful in building dots.

A big factor in getting wickets is having the right bowlers bowl at the right time. The same bowler can veer between lethal and ineffective almost entirely based on when you have them bowling.

ataraxia

International Coach
AX-W played both StephenZA teams overnight.

In a Dev vs the TMOs, we were thrashed. They made 240, with help from Badenhorst (66 off 97) and moreover Davidson (95 off 58). We collapsed to 137, Passmore 4-17.

In a T20 vs TNT, they made 170-5. Chiradeep Nizami (56 off 38), Daley Powell (37 off 28), Curtis Robinson (25* off 21), Joost van Wyk (31* off 15). They were a bit fortunate their 3K tail wasn't exposed though! We chased it down despite a wobble, thanks to the T20 trio of O'Callaghan / Ward / Warwick. 2-14 for Nizami, what a game for him.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
In a T20 vs TNT, they made 170-5. Chiradeep Nizami (56 off 38), Daley Powell (37 off 28), Curtis Robinson (25* off 21), Joost van Wyk (31* off 15). They were a bit fortunate their 3K tail wasn't exposed though! We chased it down despite a wobble, thanks to the T20 trio of O'Callaghan / Ward / Warwick. 2-14 for Nizami, what a game for him.
Nizami is gonna be a nice batting allrounder for me to start the club. Have had a fun couple of games with TNT now... scoring runs I did not think they would score. Thanks for the game.

Still getting a feel of the squad but its gonna drop down to very few before the end of the week. Not sure I timed the creation of TNT ideally, what with the coming break. Gives me a chance to maybe acquire a few coaches, which is my priority right now. And just keep an eye on the market.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Low accuracy players give away plenty of wides and boundary balls in my experience. Hard to set them up with attacking fields. When I look at the career numbers of my players, I see a definite correlation between accuracy and economy rate. I think movement and variation are needed to get wickets, and that a high accuracy guy who doesn't have those skills would only be useful in building dots.
I don't disagree with this, I just find that overall accuracy does not provide any extra chance of wickets. Reduced runs maybe over an extended time period but no guarantee in a match. And wickets feel very purely down to variation and movement, and a bit of luck. I would think you need decent accuracy to maximise the effect of that movement and variation. And it currently feels that this is not the case. Practically I find that I have as good a chance to take a wicket with a 2 quality ball as a 9 quality ball. Even if the bowler who bowls more 2 quality balls goes for 4-5 runs rather than just 3-4 runs an over. And I suppose that is what is getting to me, I am finding the overall quality of ball appears not to correlate to best bowling even on a long term basis.

A big factor in getting wickets is having the right bowlers bowl at the right time. The same bowler can veer between lethal and ineffective almost entirely based on when you have them bowling.
This is part of it, along with pitch conditions. But I`m also finding that the bowlers who always do a specific job can go from ineffective to highly effective without any change whatsoever.

On another note? Does the server (or game manager) change the way friendly matches vs stumped games are calculated? I find that their appears to be many more 'upsets' in 50 over friendlies than in the 50 over stumped games?

ataraxia

International Coach
The overall quality of one's attack gets wickets. So I just select on BQ, and all but disregard (non-terrible) performances by individual bowlers.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just to be clear 'quality' here is the number they show in the commentary that you can read off at the end of the game. But it appears that is more to do with the line and length of the bowler than the other skill metrics. Whereas the overall combined 'high skill' of the bowler and thus overall attack is more important when taking wickets.