• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Struggling to play through the offside- videos attached

mhslp

Cricket Spectator
Hi,

I'm struggling to play fluently through the covers. I can access shots through the leg side or "The V" with ease. But, when it comes to playing shots like the back cut, square drive or cover drive I struggle a lot. Similarly I struggle to pull fast bowlers when the ball is up around my chest- I'm not sure if the underlying issue also impacts this.

I've attached a few clips as a reference point for anyone who might know what my technical faults are. On the shot I play through the offside it's quite clear my hands want to end up near mid on which I know is incorrect, but I'm not sure why it's happening. Am I too bottom handed?

Shot 1 (off side)-
Shot 2 (down ground)-
Shot 3 (through leg side)-
Shot 4 (drive, onside)-

Any help appreciated!

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
That said, to answer the OP, you are clearly well ahead of me in ability to play through the off side, so I can be of only limited help.

My first suggestion is to try get the front shoulder a bit further towards off when stepping out to the ball. Your swing ought to be directed more toward off then.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Your bat’s coming down a bit too straight and possibly from the legside even. Try first slip maybe? I’m not sure if that’s the reason your hands end up where they do but it could be.

I don’t think this is related either but watch where your back leg ends up in that first video as well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
First thing you can try is to alter your trigger movement slightly. Seems like you are moving both your feet across as the ball is coming down and its helping to reach the ball that is up but your balance is off if the ball is short. See if you can only move your back leg across. Try standing a bit further down the pitch, maybe even outside the crease and have your backfoot go back as well as across as your trigger movement. See if that opens up a chance for you to play the cuts and pulls. You can still move forward if you feel the ball is going to be pitched up and not short.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Your bat’s coming down a bit too straight and possibly from the legside even. Try first slip maybe? I’m not sure if that’s the reason your hands end up where they do but it could be.

I don’t think this is related either but watch where your back leg ends up in that first video as well.
Yeah I thought the back lift is a little bit too straight as well tbh.

mhslp

Cricket Spectator
Cheers, sorted back lift out a little. Think I was lifting the bat back with my bottom hand rather than top, when I used my top hand more the bat pointed to first slip a bit more, so should be a bit better. Also I've noticed that my back foot comes out slightly too, probably a balance thing if I'm trying to shape up to play through leg side too much

Kai Yaq

Cricket Spectator
The first thing I noticed was you move your back foot backwards when playing the shot. Because of this your front leg does not move as far forward as it should.