• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Waugh

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
"I know I'm still one of the best eleven players."

kinda arrogant isnt he!!!!

anyways i want other peoples opinions of him, should he retire??? should he be dropped???

what i think is that he should have been dropped long ago as there are many better batsmen in Australia at the moment and there have been for a while e.g. Bevan, Love, Maher, Katich, Hussey, and of late, Clarke

Andre

International Regular
On form he is not one of the best 11 but on his day he is yes. Take a look at my feature on the front page.

anzac

International Debutant
"on his day" or anyone's day no longer meets the high standards of this Aussie team that he has been responsible for setting in part!!!!!! Yes on his day he is the best 'fighter' in world cricket, yet he has lost consistency and is now only producing one noteworthy innings per series, or so it seems. I'm afraid that it's a case of 'live by the sword, die by the sword'!!!!!!

I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the reasons the selectors haven't made any moves b4 now, has to do with looking for a 5th bowling option in the Test & OD teams - a role that Tugger used to play - hence the comments made by the selectors re his bowling re WC selection prospects! Another reason would have been to see how Ponting shaped up as OD Captain b4 handing him the full reins re Test Captaincy. Finally they would also like what they have seen from Martyn in his ability to moderate his innings around his partners & situation - again something that Steve was very good at.

We also have to remember that the Aussie selectors are very reluctant to oust established batsmen with a proven record on the basis of one or even two poor tours (see how many chances were given to Tubby, Slats & even Mark), let alone their current Captain!!!!

To do so they must be certain that the replacement prospects have consistantly bettered their 'target's production, comparing International stats to Domestic stats in the toughest domestic comp in the game. Furthermore those prospects must now also be able to fit into the prescribed game plan / role for the team/s, i.e. no use selecting 4 opening / top order bats just because they can score, same as not selecting 4 fast med seamers - not enough variety & balance to the side.

:)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Steve: Retire after the 5th Test.

Go out on a high, don't drag on and on.

Not ending things when they should be ended is one of the causes of England's failures over the last 7 Ashes series.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
what are you talking about, slater had a bad run for like 5 or 6 tests and he averaged 35 for his last 15 tests, not his best but still descant, its far better than 22 which waugh is averaging

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
There are many other players who are better at a lower level than Waugh but it is still to be proved weather they can stand up to international cricket.

In any other team in the world waugh would still be one of the first picked but Australias level is much high on and off the feild.

I personally think they sould look to the future after this Ashes series and bring a younger player in.

wahindiawah

Banned
He will have to either 1,retire OR 2, face the axe OR 3, come up with a ton thereby prolonging his career.

1 is most likely, 3 is a possibility too, 2 is unlikely!

Choora

State Regular
age_master said:
yeah but he could produce runs though, i mean after all it is england :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah man, if Ajit can come up with a ton, then a determined Waugh can certainly score some runs against them!

anzac

International Debutant
yeah he certainly appears to be on track for that ton at the moment.....

unfortunately I believe that if he does well he will not retire after Sydney, and will either face the ax or end up announcing his retirement b4 the next tour.

:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
If he scores heavily in the last 2 tests, how can they just kick him out like that? He still won't make the one day team specifically, the WC team, but he can extend his tenure in tests by doing well against Eng.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
If...

Who's to say we don't knock the Aussies over for 390 and knock up a quick 400-3 by close?
What a beautiful, impossible dream!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Neil Pickup said:
If...

Who's to say we don't knock the Aussies over for 390 and knock up a quick 400-3 by close?

Good joke :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .Right now Aus are 540-4 with Langer on 239 and LOVE on 54! Of all the English bowlers, only Snow White was of some use, others are just rubbish!

shaka

International Regular
Scoring a hundred against the injury stricken England Cricket team is easy, however getting a century against a better team (at present) would be a lot harder. Just look at the series against South Africa, where he barely looked like scored more than 50 let alone a century!

RETIRE ON HOME GROUND STEVE!!!!!

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
If...

haha u think they can get australia out twice anyway
hehehehehehehe i mean if they were in the Australian line up none of them would have balls next to there names to signify the fact they can bowl. I don't think they have one bowler who'd make a state side in Aus