• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

State cricket?

SeamUp

International Coach
It took me two minutes ffs. It’s not my fault I don’t have to consult Cricket archives to list great players from nsw. They’re as easy to find as grains of sand on a beach.

If Qld insist on taking TOTAB then we’ll have Keith Miller. I went for state of origin, because it’s the fact they’re from nsw which makes them great. Compare with a Victorian all time XI:

W Woodfull
W Ponsford
D Jones
J Ryder
B Hodge
K Miller
D Berry
S Warne
T Dodemaide
M Hughes
P Siddle

It’s embarrassing to put that XI on the park against the NSW side.
Not so bad Burgey considering the VICS who didn't make the New South Welshman's squad. :p

Bill Lawry
Lindsey Hassett
Graham Yallop
Matthew Elliott
David Hussey
Cameron White

Damien Fleming
Paul Reiffel
Alan Connolly
Bert Ironmonger
Max Walker

Jim Higgs

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Hahaha I love this thread already. But yeah, NSW are the most successful state that everyone else hates.

Us Vics also have a deep hatred for all things South Australian. It runs hand in hand with AFL rivalries, much like NSW/Qld with rugby.

Last edited:

England06

Cricket Spectator
Victoria=Yorkshire (the most successful and that everyone else hates a bit).
New South Wales=Probably Surrey, second most successful and disliked a bit also
S. Australia=Somebody like Kent or Hampshire even; lot of history; not much modern success.
Tasmania=Durham, the whippersnappers from some geographically distant place who have Boon and Di Venuto.
Queensland=Probably Sussex in that it took them a million years to win the thing
W. Australia=haven't a clue. They had Lillee and Alderman? Might have been Notts of the '70s when they had Hadlee and Rice and therefore had 'lively' wickets.
Great explanation. Cheers

Victor Ian

International Coach
Victoria=Yorkshire (the most successful and that everyone else hates a bit).
New South Wales=Probably Surrey, second most successful and disliked a bit also
S. Australia=Somebody like Kent or Hampshire even; lot of history; not much modern success.
Tasmania=Durham, the whippersnappers from some geographically distant place who have Boon and Di Venuto.
Queensland=Probably Sussex in that it took them a million years to win the thing
W. Australia=haven't a clue. They had Lillee and Alderman? Might have been Notts of the '70s when they had Hadlee and Rice and therefore had 'lively' wickets.
I missed this. Bloody marvellous. So True :)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah S. Kennedy's post was pretty bang on. Although I'd say that WA are probably Durham, the whippersnappers from some geographically distant place.

Tasmania are probably more equivalent to one of the minor counties, along with the CA XI & Canberra Comets.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Durham were in the minor counties until 1992 though. Look at the analogies,

- Durham join the county championship in 1992 (first team to join since 1921). Tasmania joined the Shield in 1977-78 (first since 1947-8).

- Both teams are rubbish for their first 27/13 years, permanent wooden spoonists.

- Tasmania is basically New Zealand. Durham is practically Scotland. I bet Tasmania even has a Chester-le style wicket? Swinging round corners? Unpredictable bounce?

- David Boon improves Tasmania then also joins Durham and improves them.

- Then both teams suddenly become excellent somewhere at the mid-00 point with Di Venuto batting in both teams. Tasmania win the Shield 2007, 2011 and 2013. Durham win the Championship 2008, 2009 and 2013. Tasmania win the Matador Cup 2005, 2008, 2010. Durham win England's one-day cups 2007 and 2014. The trophies all begin rolling in during the exact same time period: 2005-14. They they stop.

Tasmania is basically Durham. The only difference is Tasmania had a longer period as a struggling first-class team, and a lone one-day cup success in 1979. Durham went from rubbish to excellent in a smaller time frame.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not so bad Burgey considering the VICS who didn't make the New South Welshman's squad. :p

Bill Lawry
Lindsey Hassett
Graham Yallop
Matthew Elliott
David Hussey
Cameron White

Damien Fleming
Paul Reiffel
Alan Connolly
Bert Ironmonger
Max Walker

Jim Higgs