• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spinners

Who in your opinion is the best spinner of all time

• Shane Warne

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Clarrance Grimmet

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Richie Benaud

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lance Gibbs

• Bill O'Reilly

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Arthur Mailey

• Stuart MacGill

• Jim Laker

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Bishen Bedi

• Abdul Qadir

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Anil Kumble

• Wilfred Rhodes

• Hugh Tayfeild

• other

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Eclipse

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:

As such, Richard 'assumed the extreme' (as he was entitled to do) and had a little dig (no surprise there).

Personally, I think that there is very little between Pollock, McGrath and Gillespie when all of them are bowling at their best with respect to extracting life from an otherwise unhelpful pitch, although as you correctly pointed out Gillespie does it a bit quicker (which, of course, he will cease to do in about 5 years as he slows down)
Were all entitaled to our own opinion but judgeding by what Richard said thats is that Gillespie is a swing bowler witch he quite clearly is not I said somthing about it. An honest opinion and be it correct or incorect I do have more ground's to comment on him and stand the chance of being correct given I have not missed a test match he has bowled in since about 1999.

I may be slightly biased mind you because he is my favorite bowler but if that is true it's unintentional I do beleve what I have said.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
Were all entitaled to our own opinion but judgeding by what Richard said thats is that Gillespie is a swing bowler witch he quite clearly is not
Neither is he a spinner.

Back on topic

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
were the hell did I say that?? what i said is that even on flat pitches he gets life out of them better than any bowler I have seen.

Somone has to do it the best and in my opinion that is gillespie.
You see, therein lies the problem. "Someone has to do it best". No, they don't. Different pitches have different amounts of life in them for different bowlers. Chaminda Vaas at his best can extract something out of any surface. So can Warne and Muralitharan.
In my opinion Gillespie and McGrath can exploit green or uneven conditions better and more consistently than anyone else, but neither are especially good at exploiting conditions where there is no seam, swing or uneven bounce. However, I am prepared to concede that they are better than I was before I spoke to Corey.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If Vaas was good in all conditions, he would have an average of below 25, like Gillespie and co., but he infact averages above 30

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Sorry to start this up (again), but some people say Murali has a better record than Warne, which is true.

But consider that he plays about 60% of his games in the subcontinent.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmmm...

Muttiah Muralitharan

in Australia (2 Tests)
3 wickets @ 116

in England (3 Tests)
24 wickets @ 21.54

in New Zealand (4 Tests)
13 wickets @ 29.38

in South Africa (6 Tests)
35 wickets @ 26.02

in the West Indies (4 Tests)
25 wickets @ 18.24

in Zimbabwe (5 Tests)
12 wickets @ 41.41

That's 24 Tests, meaning that Murali plays about 71-71% of his Tests on the subcontinent.

His record at home is:

49 Tests
309 wickets @ 20.17

It seems to me that it's very much a case of him not having to face the best. It's a bit like McGrath and Gillespie not having to bowl to Australia. Warne doesn't have a good record on the subcontinent because he has to bowl to the best players of spin in the world. Muralitharan doesn't have to bowl to the Sri Lankans.

That said, he does have to face the Indians and the Pakistanis...

in India (5 Tests)
15 wickets @ 48.73

in Pakistan (7 Tests)
49 wickets @ 21.48

Shane Warne in India (6 Tests)
20 wickets @ 52.25

in Pakistan (3 Tests)
18 wickets @ 28.00

Interesting stats. Make of them what you will.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
except that one chucked his way to 491 wickets while the other didnt
Lord give us strength.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
there isnt that much to separate them is there
Exactly - so why anyone bothers trying I don't know.
They're both fantastic bowlers who enjoy many of the same virtues (big spinning wrists, accuracy incredible for the amount of spin they impart, superbly disguised variations) and IMO there is no significant difference between their ability.

iamdavid said:
I just read a very good article in the latest Inside Edge by Ashley Mallet & Richie Benaud , it was comparing Warne & MacGill & asking who was better.

So it just kind of rekindled this question in my mind , who , is the best spinner of All Time.
Did Benaud & Mallet give any opinions on the question? if so, what were they?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr. Warne, I'm flattered that you chose to quote me in your sig., but I'd appreciate if you do it in context.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
appaling

its very shocking and sad to see that shane "momma's boy" Warne is winning this poll and not murali. Probably becoz one eyed aussie fans make up the majority of this forum :rolleyes: O well ur entitled to have ur opinion.

IMO Murali is the best bowler EVER.

Re: appaling

ReallyCrazy said:
its very pleasing & good to see that shane "the greatest" Warne is winning this poll and not murali. Probably becoz he is the best spinner ever :rolleyes: I`m glad we are entitled to have our opinions.

IMO Warne is the best bowler EVER.
Agreed.