• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spin - If you Bowled it would it be Flat or tossed up

chris.hinton

International Captain
Terry Jenner (Who Coached Shane Warne) always says "Leggies" are Attacking Bowlers which infact they are. One Player at the county gets Barrercated by Coaches becasue they tell him to bowl flat when in fact his Career average per wicket per county is 18.

Some Coaches and English Cricket in general dont like Flighted spin of Couse you should have you Flat Bowlers now and again but they are throw Darts.

Terry Jenner knows the best and i suggest every leg spinner does what he says

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
I was never a bowler but was a keeper. Wouldn't the type of ball you bowled be depended on the pitch?? :undecided:

Kimbo

International Debutant
nope, not really.
the point of flighting the ball is to decieve the batsman in the air (so it doesn't involve the surface).

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
nope, not really.
the point of flighting the ball is to decieve the batsman in the air (so it doesn't involve the surface).
Fair enough...Thanks for clearing that up!!

Can you see why I was never a bowler!! ;) :P

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think that it would depend on the pitch. If it turns lots then u would more likely put the ball up there
and give it a chance to turn and the batter miss it or edge it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whether to toss-up or bolw a flatter length is dependent upon more than just the pitch or batsman etc. It's a combination of these and many other things. I mean, if a pitch is turning and you're leg-spinner, but there was a particularly small boundary on the leg-side, would you toss it up on leg-stump or avoid being carted and bowl an off-stump line? It depends on your attitude. Personally, I'd toss it up because if pitch is turning, the batsman MAY hit you for a couple of boundaries but it's a risky shot and you might eventually get them. If they keep pumelling you, you just have to shrug your shoulders, say "Well batted, mate." and try something else.

For spinners there are so many factors at play, you can't be so simplistic and ssay "I only bowl flat/flight the ball." It depends. I never understood why spinners were defrensive about this aspect of play. So many spinners are too proud to bowl a flatter length and so toss it up and get pummelled and moan when they're removed from the attack after conceding 10 an over saying, "Hey!! I'll get him/her eventually!"

Fast bowlers like myself have to adjust our length depending on the pitch and conditions (as well as the batsmen) all the time; why are spinners so defensive about it? :D

Kimbo

International Debutant
well... not quite sure.
many spinners get put off bowling flighted deliveries at all because their captain doesn't understand the art, then they bowl flat deliveries forever and end up a nobody in cricket.
it does depend on the situation and to be effective you have to be adaptable, as with anything really. it is tough though especially for young spinners, there is a lot of pressure that comes from captains and coaches that dont understand the art. you have to be strong in your head.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually that's a very good point. Most spinners don't get much support early on, especially at junior levels. It's only later on when you develop loop more are spinners used as an attacking weapon, rather than to either give the pacers a rest or slow the runs.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Can you see why I was never a bowler!!
yep... i was gonna mention it before but decided against it. what with my controversial record and all... :P
I wasn't going to say a word Sunil!! :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :X :X :X :X

chris.hinton

International Captain
Whether to toss-up or bolw a flatter length is dependent upon more than just the pitch or batsman etc. It's a combination of these and many other things. I mean, if a pitch is turning and you're leg-spinner, but there was a particularly small boundary on the leg-side, would you toss it up on leg-stump or avoid being carted and bowl an off-stump line? It depends on your attitude. Personally, I'd toss it up because if pitch is turning, the batsman MAY hit you for a couple of boundaries but it's a risky shot and you might eventually get them. If they keep pumelling you, you just have to shrug your shoulders, say "Well batted, mate." and try something else.

For spinners there are so many factors at play, you can't be so simplistic and ssay "I only bowl flat/flight the ball." It depends. I never understood why spinners were defrensive about this aspect of play. So many spinners are too proud to bowl a flatter length and so toss it up and get pummelled and moan when they're removed from the attack after conceding 10 an over saying, "Hey!! I'll get him/her eventually!"

Fast bowlers like myself have to adjust our length depending on the pitch and conditions (as well as the batsmen) all the time; why are spinners so defensive about it? :D
Spinners should be encourged

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Yes, they should....

Spinners are giving the hard and pointy end of the stick. I was our teams second spinner and I got 9 overs for a season. Our worst quick (slow medium) got over 30.

That aint fair.

Although a poor bowling spinner can easily be hit and hit hard. And against a slogger they might be a bit pasted, for example I was hit for two overs in a row for 22runs (2-0-0-44).

So maybe the good one should be encouraged the bad ones shot.. :)

Andre

International Regular
Its kind of a silly topic this in the sense that the toss of the ball etc depends on many things. The main elemnt is mechanics, with the taller spinners like Kumble, Giles flatter and quicker through the air than the smaller ones, such as Warne. Trust me on this, ive bowled spin for 10 years...

tenchi

Banned
Mr Andre and Mr Lucky Eddie have said it all.

You have to be able to do both. A ball tossed up causes the batsman to lose 'perspective', in other words, he is unable to see anything other than the ball and so will be unsure of the length.

The spin imparted on a slower, flighted delivery can cause the ball to 'dip', thus confusing the batsman still further.

What you are then doing is making the batsman delay his decision as to whether to play forward or back until he is sure of the trajectory.

Now!

Quicker ball!

Out!

Easy.

Is it?

Of course not. That's why no-one ever paid me to play cricket.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Its kind of a silly topic this in the sense that the toss of the ball etc depends on many things. The main elemnt is mechanics, with the taller spinners like Kumble, Giles flatter and quicker through the air than the smaller ones, such as Warne. Trust me on this, ive bowled spin for 10 years...
Rubbish i seen tall spinners toss it up