• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2016/17

SeamUp

International Coach
What are your thoughts on Dwaine Pretorius SeamUp? His first class form has been quite impressive and we are in desperate need for an all-rounder.....
I think he is at the peak of his powers but won't improve much more. But in saying that - he certainly looks to have taken on board his time with SA because I didn't expect him to have the consistency he is showing the bat since he joined up with the Lions, especially in 4-day cricket.

My fear is that with his pace he will get hit off his length easily at international level and if we being honest we already have Philander/Abbott as the 'work-horses' in the international set-up.

With TT Boy in that Morris, Parnell, Phehlukwayo are our better bets as the bowling all-rounders.

SeamUp

International Coach
David Miller and Aiden Markram are piling it on in their 3 innings in the Sunfoil Series.

Miller reckons the move to Bloem was for more focus to his game and he is only learning how important patience is and he is dreaming of a test cap with the Proteas.

SeamUp

International Coach
He's got to be the next bowler on the plane.....when/if needed. He can hold a bat as well?
I would to but can see them going to de Lang/Viljoen who I think will be bowlers who can dominate domestic but pace unaccurate pace doesn't scare international batsman.

Olivier certainly isn't too shabby with the bat.

In this SA u19 game in England - he scored a clutch 22* under pressure chasing over 300 : The Home of CricketArchive

SeamUp

International Coach
Oh and I note Hamza has been dropped from the Cobras team...
I'm struggling to read him. His pedigree is very mixed. He never once scored a 100 for his school first XI (Rondebosch) while Dayyaan Galiem (2 years his junior scored plenty). Hamza sort of did well under-age provincially but not well enough to get picked for SA u19s. For me the way he dominated WP amateur was a surprise then after what I mentioned. Obviously he isn't a power player so tough to say whether he can impose himself on stronger attacks and he will have to prove himself again.

Wiaan Mulder has exams so missed this round. :laugh: I hope he plays in the T20 stuff. He can absolutely cane it eventhough he is a proper batsman technically.

Phehlukwayo disappointing since going back to the Dolphins. Hope it hasn't gone to his head. :unsure:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I would to but can see them going to de Lang/Viljoen who I think will be bowlers who can dominate domestic but pace unaccurate pace doesn't scare international batsman.

Olivier certainly isn't too shabby with the bat.

In this SA u19 game in England - he scored a clutch 22* under pressure chasing over 300 : The Home of CricketArchive
This is my biggest concern with them as well... pace but lacking some skills for international level.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I'm struggling to read him. His pedigree is very mixed. He never once scored a 100 for his school first XI (Rondebosch) while Dayyaan Galiem (2 years his junior scored plenty). Hamza sort of did well under-age provincially but not well enough to get picked for SA u19s. For me the way he dominated WP amateur was a surprise then after what I mentioned. Obviously he isn't a power player so tough to say whether he can impose himself on stronger attacks and he will have to prove himself again.
Don't know much about his school days. I just love the way he scores runs... not a power player but think he has the right mental attitude. I thought he had a good technique but I`m not expert enough to be sure if he does not have some deficiency.

SeamUp

International Coach
Don't know much about his school days. I just love the way he scores runs... not a power player but think he has the right mental attitude. I thought he had a good technique but I`m not expert enough to be sure if he does not have some deficiency.
Agree. Think we need to see more of him. Still young at 21 but don't think he will get into the Cobras 50-over team.

Duck for WP

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/1024749.html

Last edited:

sonnench

U19 12th Man
I think he is at the peak of his powers but won't improve much more. But in saying that - he certainly looks to have taken on board his time with SA because I didn't expect him to have the consistency he is showing the bat since he joined up with the Lions, especially in 4-day cricket.

My fear is that with his pace he will get hit off his length easily at international level and if we being honest we already have Philander/Abbott as the 'work-horses' in the international set-up.

With TT Boy in that Morris, Parnell, Phehlukwayo are our better bets as the bowling all-rounders.
Fair enough. I do hope Phelukwayo develops into a test match all-rounder. I've never been a Parnell fan, and Morris has still yet to prove he is capable. Because if this is currently all we have, Mulder's inclusion can't come soon enough. And with Rabada being fast tracked because of such obvious potential, I don't see any reason Mulder shouldn't be either. Especially as it is a huge area of concern and has been for a while.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
What's your opinion of Cook SeamUp? Worth persisting with til Markram is included? (another player i feel should be fast tracked).

From what I've seen of Cook, I actually really like. I just enjoy watching and having that type of player/opener. However, results do matter and he hasn't got off to the greatest of starts in Aus.

SeamUp

International Coach
Fair enough. I do hope Phelukwayo develops into a test match all-rounder. I've never been a Parnell fan, and Morris has still yet to prove he is capable. Because if this is currently all we have, Mulder's inclusion can't come soon enough. And with Rabada being fast tracked because of such obvious potential, I don't see any reason Mulder shouldn't be either. Especially as it is a huge area of concern and has been for a while.
Agree. Think Phehlukwayo needs to play quite a bit of red-ball cricket for Dolphins still to prove he can do it in that format consistently. I genuinely think he has the raw tools to do it but needs more runs and wickets. That innings v Aus and his death bowling shows he is quite a clutch players which is exciting for us. Morris sort of proving he can be as well.
If Morris can continue his upward curve he was showing in the last 12-18 months it will be great news. I honestly think he is a better longer version player because he gets the red-ball to swing at 145 which is pretty handy. It's also effortless speed when he bowls. You don't really believe it when you see the speed gun.
I've been against Parnell with you on here as well. I just can't stand erratic play and then still no improvement - years after being proven erratic or not good enough. I think this latest come back has been slightly encouraging but still has lots to improve. Probably the only thing giving him one last chance is that he is left-arm for variety.

Wouldn't surprise me if he goes to England with the SA 'A' squad at 19 years of age. Why wait ? Smith went on tour with SA 'A' at 19 to West Indies with so many old pro's like Bruyns, Ackerman, MVJ, Dougie Watson and just catapulted him into the SA team after his dominance for WP every game and Markram's start is reminding me of him. So on Mulder, I see no reason why not.

SeamUp

International Coach
What's your opinion of Cook SeamUp? Worth persisting with til Markram is included? (another player i feel should be fast tracked).

From what I've seen of Cook, I actually really like. I just enjoy watching and having that type of player/opener. However, results do matter and he hasn't got off to the greatest of starts in Aus.
I feel for him because with 38 first class hundreds, he has worked so hard to be where is now & he has started off quite well. He may look ugly but runs, runs, runs is what he has put down with that technique for years. He always been that fidgety - nervous looking type so that probably plays a role in setting a negative tone for 3,4,5 etc so that is my biggest gripe.
Then there was the warm-up games. You can say it doesn't count but I think a player like him needed some runs there.
He probably deserves the Hobart test. If nothing there. Rossouw deserves the chance to debut with form he is in and his peak years are starting now and he scored runs under lights in the warm-up game at Adelaide.

SeamUp

International Coach
Can't stop being excited. 7 uncapped future Protea Stars ?

AIDEN MARKRAM (22 years of age)

THEUNIS DE BRUYN (24 years of age)

JASON SMITH (22 years of age)

WIAAN MULDER (18 years of age)

DUANNE OLIVIER (24 years of age)

DARYN DUPAVILLON (22 years of age)

LUNGI NGIDI (20 years of age)