• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Off-Season 2015

SeamUp

International Coach
Puttick - one of the real nice guys

Puttick’s love of the game and pride in performance will keep him going despite SA snub
CAPE TOWN. – “I really feel I should be opening the batting for South Africa in tests, as I have the best numbers for opening in the country. It is frustrating, but what can one do,” said Andrew Puttick, 35-year old Cape Cobras batsman.

Puttick slammed 650 runs in the Momentum One Day Cup competition in the 2014/2015-season, and also blasted two Sunfoil Series-centuries in a match against the Chevrolet Warriors.

The stylish left-hander has struck 24 first-class centuries in his 149 games at an average of 41.44.

“I have also averaged more than 50 while playing for South Africa A,” he added.

Yet, despite the fact that Puttick feels his performances have not attracted enough attention from the South African selectors, he does not intend to slow down and announce his retirement soon.
“I take personal pride in my performances and want to do as well as I can. I love the game,” Puttick said.

Longevity has been a hallmark of Puttick’s career, as he started his first-class career for Western Province in 2000/2001 as an opening partner of Graeme Smith, who only had to wait until 2002 before he made his test debut.

Puttick said his beloved surfing has had to take a proverbial back seat in the off-season.

His marriage, and his fulltime involvement with the company Sun Armour as business partner of Dane Vilas and the former Cobras opening batsman Alistair Gray has become more important to the popular Puttick.

“But I still go out when I get an opportunity,” Puttick added.

Asked about possible selection for the Proteas, Puttick said: “It is difficult to keep the hope up, but I would still love to open the batting for South Africa.”

Stiaan van Zyl will possibly open the batting for the national team in the first test at Chittagong. Van Zyl, usually a number-three batsman, slammed a test century in his maiden game for South Africa.

Last edited:

Chrish

International Debutant
Who are the batting/ bowling prospects SA domestic currently has? Especially interested in pace talent considering Steyn won't be around forever..

SeamUp

International Coach
Who are the batting/ bowling prospects SA domestic currently has? Especially interested in pace talent considering Steyn won't be around forever..
A lot of the next generation batsman are in and around the senior set-up now like Elgar, van Zyl, R. Hendricks, Rossouw, Miller, Bavuma

Looking at 2010 u19 WC onwards -

2010 : David White (opening batsman/longer version)
2012: Quinton de Kock, Gihahn Cloete (top order longer version), Theunis de Bruyn (attacking 3/4 in both forms)
2014: Aiden Markram (opening batsman but think a number would suit)
2016 to come : Liam Smith (opening batsman), Matthew Breetzke (opening bastman/ #3)

All-rounders : Calvin Savage [can bat as high as 6/good line/bounce bowler] & Andile Phehlukwayo [very aggressive batsman (more of a 7) with a nice smooth action/can get quicker] + in the 2016 u19 WC to come should see 2 very decent one's in Wiaan Mulder & Dayaan Galiem. Mulder & Galiem are definitely top 6 batsman & Galiem is more of the strike bowler with his beautiful action and he swings/seams the ball whereas Mulder is more of a keeps it simple but there is potential growth to this side of his game.

Quicks:

I think our situation is where they've gone to Rabada quickly so he competes with Steyn, Philander, Morkel, Abbott.

The 'A' side bowlers are decent but I question if they can be good to great international bowlers like Marchant de Lange, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Dane Paterson, Hardus Viljoen, Mthokozisi Shezi, Beuran Hednricks. There is pace here but that means nothing without the right control and whether you can execute plans to get the best batsman out in the world. My greatest hope is for Beuran Hednricks to find his best but that has always been in the longer version and would provide a good left-arm option. Paterson had a good last season but I have doubts. Need to see how he does for the 'A' side.

From the younger bowlers. I genuinely think our all-rounders above will contribute to that. The youngsters you have been around the academy 2 seasons back were Corne Dry, Duanne Olivier & Daryn Dupavillon. Out of the 3 I like Dupavillon. He is at you all the time. Good Yorker. Good bouncer. High 130's but will get into 140's. Very wirey bowler. Can bowl long spells and will bowl his last spell as quick as his first spell in the longer form. There is also Craig Kirsten but he needs to get over his injury issues.

Last edited:

Chapungu

Cricket Spectator
It looks like Gihahn Cloete, may have moved to the Warriors. He is listed in the Eastern Province squad for the African T20 Cup. It is a good pick-up if he has moved. :)

SeamUp

International Coach
It looks like Gihahn Cloete, may have moved to the Warriors. He is listed in the Eastern Province squad for the African T20 Cup. It is a good pick-up if he has moved. :)
Noticed that. Interesting move considering he became the regular opener in the longer version at the nights. Could be a good opening partnership in 4-day cricket for the Warriors with David White.

SeamUp

International Coach
Quite a few Saffers getting chances in the 2nd XI's & even debuting in the County Championship.

See Sean Dickson is debuting for Kent.
Graeme van Buuren has played for Sussex & Gloucestershire 2nd XI's & scored a double for the latter I think.
Matthew Pillans has played for Glamorgan 2nds
Greg Oldfield for Derbyshire 2nds
Bradley Dial for Kent 2nds & Gloucs 2nds

The last 2 were part of u19 world cup winning side.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Also good to see Craig Kirsten in the KZN squad for the Africa T20 Cup. Been in England this winter & was used as a net bowler for England and Australia quite often.

Telemachus, the KZN coach :

“Craig Kirsten has had a good season in England and I am hoping that he has finally put behind him the injuries that have plagued him over the last three seasons. He is a big man and, when he is fully fit, he can bowl as quickly as anybody in the country and get good bounce as well.”

Chapungu

Cricket Spectator
Noticed that. Interesting move considering he became the regular opener in the longer version at the nights. Could be a good opening partnership in 4-day cricket for the Warriors with David White.
They have Michael Price as well, so someone will have to move down to three. I hope Ingram is coming back for the Warriors this season?

Quite a few Saffers getting chances in the 2nd XI's & even debuting in the County Championship.

See Sean Dickson is debuting for Kent.
Graeme van Buuren has played for Sussex & Gloucestershire 2nd XI's & scored a double for the latter I think.
Matthew Pillans has played for Glamorgan 2nds
Greg Oldfield for Derbyshire 2nds
Bradley Dial for Kent 2nds & Gloucs 2nds

The last 2 were part of u19 world cup winning side.
Bradley Wheal has been playing for Hampshire & Scotland A. I don't know if he will come back to play for KwaZulu-Natal this season though. :)

SeamUp

International Coach
They have Michael Price as well, so someone will have to move down to three. I hope Ingram is coming back for the Warriors this season?

Bradley Wheal has been playing for Hampshire & Scotland A. I don't know if he will come back to play for KwaZulu-Natal this season though. :)

Warriors haven't officially released their contracted squad for 15/16 like the Dolphins & Knights but my thinking is that if they've signed Cloete, it wouldn't surprise me if they haven't kept M.Price. Could have given the excuse they looking to the future & with the new quota rule , the older white players who are solid pro's may get pushed sooner. They also got Vallie & Fortuin from the Cobras.

Ingram is captain now. No doubt he will be back. JJ Smuts becoming bit of a senior figure now so they got to lead the likes of White, Ackermann, Vallie, Cloete, Fortuin, Seyibokwe, Mnyanda., J.Price, E.Moore, K.Smuts etc

Think Wheal has moved their full time. Joined the Hampshire academy but was way down the pecking order in KZN [Dupavillon,Kirsten,Savage,Phehlukwayo,Engelbrecht,Scullard,Alexander, Frylinck,Pillans,Hume etc] Dale Benkenstein clearly liked him though. Another like Kieswetter to use his Scottish roots.

Noticed Andrea Agathagelou is with Leicestershire after being released by Lancashire too.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
29-man SA u19 preliminary squad for the u19 world cup

WESTERN PROVINCE

Gavin KAPLAN (17)
Murray COMMINS (18)
Kyle VERREYNNE (18)
Dayyaan GALIEM (18)
Aaqil EBRAHIM (18)
Junaid DAWOOD (19)
Ziyaad ABRAHAMS (18)

EASTERN PROVINCE

Matthew BREETZKE (17)
Jonathan DRAAI (18)
Lutho SIPAMLA (17)

NATAL

Nduduzo MFOZA (18)
Okuhle CELE (18)

FREE STATE

Marno VAN GREUNING (18)
Sean WHITEHEAD (18)

GAUTENG

Liam SMITH (18)
Ricardo VASCONCELOS (18)
Tony DE ZORZI (18)
Wiaan MULDER (17)
Farhaan SAYANVALA (18)
Wandile MAKWETU (16)
Brandon GLOVER (18)
Conor MCKERR (17)
Chad CLAASEN (18)

NORTHERNS

Rivaldo MOONSAMY (19)
Dean FOXCROFT (17)
Willie LUDICK (18)

BOLAND

Luke PHILANDER (18)

NORTH WEST

Lesego SENOKWANE (18)

EASTERNS

Kebelo SEKHUKHUNE (18)

SeamUp

International Coach
Africa T20 Cup squads : Each team can play 4 professional franchise players and two u21 players.

BORDER

Border have high hopes that they can repeat their successes of the past few seasons in the CSA Provincial One-Day Challenge when the inaugural Africa T20 Cup competition gets underway next month.

Border have been drawn in Pool B to be played at Senwes Park alongside hosts North West, Boland and KwaZulu-Natal Inland.

“I am very happy that we have been drawn to play our pool matches in Potchefstroom,” commented Border coach, Frank Plaatjes. “It has proved to be an excellent pitch for limited overs cricket in the past and with our recent successes in the CSA Province Challenge – they beat Free State by 5 wickets in last season’s Final – I believe we have as good a chance as any of getting through to the knock-out stages.

“We have a very well balanced side with plenty of allrounders and some good power hitters who will come into their own in this format.”

Baatjes added that he was delighted to have gained the services of former SA under-19 wicketkeeper/batsman, Clyde Fortuin, who has joined the Warriors franchise from Western Province. “It says a lot about the reputation that Border cricket has established that he asked to play his provincial cricket out of our affiliate.

“I will probably bat him at No 3 behind our opening pair of Somila Seyibokwe and Gionne Koopman. We have a number of other players who have established themselves at franchise level such as Christiaan Jonker, Aya Gqamane and Lundi Mbane.”

The squad will be captained by Jerry Nqolo who is one of several squad members to have come through the Fort Hare Academy.

SQUAD: Jerry Nqolo (capt), Somila Seyibokwe, Gionne Koopman, Clyde Fortuin, Christiaan Jonker, Aya Gqamane, Darryl Brown, Marco Marais, Jongile Kilani, Papama Fojela, Loyiso Mdashe, Clayton Bosch, Lundi Mbane.

Support staff: Frank Plaatjes (coach), Shannon Musto (conditioning trainer), Deon Muller (manager)
FREE STATE

Free State new coach, Edward Mokoenanyana, is undaunted by the prospect of facing the likes of Gauteng and Kenya when they start their Pool D campaign in the inaugural Africa T20 Cup next month.

“There are tough opponents in all the pools and I believe we have as good a chance as any of progressing to the next stage,” he commented. “We will be playing all our pool matches at home which gives us an advantage and we have a settled squad, most of whom I have been working with for quite a long time.

“This applies particularly to our captain, Patrick Botha, whom I have worked with since he was my under-15 captain at Grey College.”

Mokoenanyana is also hoping that the experience and particularly the flair that Rilee Rossouw brings to the T20 game will rub off on some of his less experienced colleagues.

“We have a very experienced bowling line-up,” continued Mokoenanyana, “with the likes of Dillon du Preez, Shadley van Schalkwyk and Malusi Siboto, who have all got very good records in T20 franchise cricket. But it is not only about experience. One of the things that excites me about this competition is that our younger players get the chance to rub shoulders with both franchise and international players and there may be quite a few surprise packets coming out of this competition who will further their ambitions to play at a higher level.”

Free State are grouped in Pool D with Gauteng, Kenya and South Western Districts. All pool matches will be centralised at Bloemfontein’s Mangaung Oval.

SQUAD: Patrick Botha (capt), Andries Gous, Rilee Rossouw, Romano Terblanche, Bokang Mosena, Michael Erlank, Leus du Plooy, Shadley van Schalkwyk, Dillon du Preez, Lwandiswa Zuma, Malusi Siboto, Driaan Bruwer, Thabo Masheshemane
KZN COASTAL

Roger Telemachus is backing his young charges to come good when KwaZulu-Natal Coastal open their Pool C campaign at the Diamond Oval in Kimberley in the inaugural Africa T20 Cup competition.

The former Proteas fast bowler has been coach of the provincial side for some time and he is liking what he is seeing coming through the amateur ranks and the development pipeline. “In the four-and-a-half years I have been here we have struggled in the three-day competition,” Telemachus commented, “but we have done really well in the limited overs competition and I believe this new T20 Cup will suit us very nicely.

“Some of our youngsters have already proven their worth at franchise level. Andile Phehlukwayo is a case in point and another is Sibonelo Makhanya who has captained South Africa at under-19 level. I gave a first outing to Jason Oakes as a wicketkeeper-batsman at the end of last season and I was impressed with what he contributed.

“Craig Kirsten has had a good season in England and I am hoping that he has finally put behind him the injuries that have plagued him over the last three seasons. He is a big man and, when he is fully fit, he can bowl as quickly as anybody in the country and get good bounce as well.”

Telemachus feels that this competition provides the ideal platform for younger players to make their mark and establish their careers. “I have been looking at some of the other squads where you have Hashim Amla playing for Boland and Vernon Philander for SWD. Can you imagine what it means to young players to get the opportunity to play against some of our great legends of the game?” he asked.

KZN will not be short of experience either. “David Miller and Craig Delport have proven themselves to be among the best game changers in this format anywhere in the world. They can change the course of a game in a matter of balls,” he added.

KZN are grouped with Eastern Province, Griquas and Namibia and Telemachus is weary of all of them. “Our obvious initial aim is to get through to the next stage. The game against Griquas could be particularly difficult. They will be playing on their home turf and you never know quite what you are going to get there.”

SQUAD: Cameron Delport, Khalipha Cele, David Miller, Senuran Muthusamy, Keshav Maharaj, Daniel Sincuba, Sibonelo Makhanya, Andile Phehlukwayo, Craig Kirsten, Brandon Scullard, Jason Oakes, Rabian Engelbrecht, Mishkal Ramsaroop
NORTHERNS

Northerns are not letting the prospect of being in one of the toughest groups affect them as they prepare for their pool A matches to be centralised at Benoni’s Sahara Willowmoore Park in the inaugural Africa T20 Cup competition next month.

“There is no doubt we will be up against some tough opposition,” commented coach, Mark Charlton. “Western Province are always strong, Zimbabwe have international players and Easterns were the only team to beat us in two formats last season.

“But, if you want to be the best you have got to beat the best. It is as simple as that. If we can qualify from this pool then we will at least have taken out a few powerful teams that we won’t have to meet in a later round.”

Charlton is pleased with the preparation the players have gone through even though a lot of them have been scattered around the world. “Theunis de Bruyn is with the South Africa A side in India and we have four youngsters with the SA Academy team in Sri Lanka. In addition, there are a number of other players who have been active in club cricket in Britain and those guys have had a lot of cricket.

“The important thing is that they have been playing good quality, competitive cricket. By next week we should have just about everybody back and I will concentrate in our last week on team bonding.”

Albie Morkel will captain the Northerns team which has another experienced Protea in Dean Elgar. “Our batting looks very strong and our bowling attack, although including quite a few youngsters, will not let us down. Overall I like the balance of our side and I believe we will give a good account of ourselves.”

SQUAD: Albie Morkel (capt), Heinrich Klaasen, Rivaldo Moonsamy, Corbin Bosch, Rowan Richards, Ruben Claassen, Aiden Markram, Dean Elgar, Alfred Mothoa, Lungi Ngidi, Lerato Kgoatle, Qaasim Adams, Theunis de Bruyn
EASTERNS

Quinton de Kock, arguably the most in-form South African cricketer at the moment, will provide a huge boost to Easterns’ prospects in Pool A of the Africa T20 Cup when he plays his first game for his new affiliate in the first weekend of September.

De Kock is currently in India with the South Africa A squad and has scored centuries in all three his innings to date in the List A and four-day formats.

Easterns will be hosting Pool A at their Sahara Park Willowmoore headquarters where they will play against Northerns, Western Province and Zimbabwe from Friday, September 4, to Sunday, September 6.

The Pool winners will go through to the knock-out phase.

Easterns head coach, Andre Nel, said he was delighted by and looking forward to the challenge as he kicks off his semi-professional coaching career. “We have three big teams in our group and this is a great opportunity for us to show where we are and what we wish to achieve this season. We can actually just go out and enjoy ourselves as we have nothing to lose,” commented Nel.

Nel added that the conditions might be slightly slow at this stage of the season. However, he is happy that Easterns will have had enough pre-tournament practice as they play 4 warm-up matches at the venue before the tournament. “We are privileged to have a player of the caliber of Quinton de Kock as well as other experienced franchise players in our squad who will bring along a wealth of experience and expertise to guide and assist our youngsters. “This augurs well for our preparations and we are extremely motivated, “concluded Nel.

Easterns President, Mr. Andy O’Connor, praised Cricket South Africa for the initiative they had taken to spread cricket throughout the African continent. “With substantial live television coverage going out across Africa this showcase will, in my opinion, being a benchmark for good things to come for African cricket.

“This event will make a good start for the new cricket season in South Africa as well,” continued Mr. O’Connor. “I am confident that all the teams will perform at their best and that we will see top quality cricket been displayed. To the participating teams I say a big welcome, may you play the game in good sprit and leave behind fond memories as well as building friendship. Good luck to all.”

Easterns squad: Ernest Kemm (captain), Thando Bula, Mangaliso Mosehle, Johan Fourie, Grant Thomson, Siphamandla Dapo, Wesley Coulentianos, Vincent Moore, Tabraiz Shamsi, Junior Dala, Ethy Mbhalati, Clayton August, Quinton De Kock

Support Staff: Andre Nel (Head Coach), Ephrahim Nyawo (Assistant Coach), Thato Moagi (Manager)
WESTERN PROVINCE

Faiek Davids has found the perfect solution for his Western Province team not being able to practise outdoors in the Western Cape winter in preparation for the inaugural edition of the Africa T20 Cup.

“Most of the players are on the sub-continent at the moment,” commented the Western Province coach, “either with South Africa A in India or with the SA Emerging Squad in Sri Lanka. “I have spoken to all of them to make sure that they are sharpening their skills but it is far better for them to be involved in competitive international cricket than being back here at the moment.

“You can’t practise outdoors here until mid-September and, as luck would have it, our pool is the first in action in the first week of the month.

“Dane Vilas and Omphile Ramela are both coming off excellent innings for South Africa in their four-day test matches while Zubayr Hamza and Lesiba Ngoepe were the leading runs scorers for the Emerging team in their first ODI.

“These players will return home on Monday week and should be at perfect pitch for our Pool A matches at Sahara Park Willowmoore which start four days later. As it is we only have one practice session when we get to Benoni.

“I only have three players in Cape Town at the moment and they are practising at the Bishops Indoor Centre to keep them ticking over.”

Davids acknowledged that Western Province were in a tough pool with Northerns, Zimbabwe and hosts Easterns.

“Fortunately we have a good contingent of senior players such as Vilas and Wayne Parnell and they have been round the block a few times and know exactly what to expect and the standard of play that will be required to keep winning.”

SQUAD: Pieter Malan (capt), Dane Vilas, Omphile Ramela, Lesiba Ngoepe, Zubayr Hamza, Aviwe Mgijima, Wayne Parnell, George Linde, Dayyaan Galiem, Emmanuel Seberame, Dane Paterson, Travis Muller, Jack Newby
EASTERN PROVINCE

The Africa T20 Cup Tournament gets underway in early September and the Eastern Province team to participate in the tournament has been announced. This inaugural tournament will see thirteen provincial teams plus Kenya, Zimbabwe and Namibia contest the cup. There will be four pools with 4 teams with the winners of each pool going through to a semi final. The matches will be played at Sahara Willowmore Park, Senwes Park, Diamond Oval and Mangaung Oval.

EP are in pool C with Griqualand West, Kwa Zulu Natal and Namibia and will play their first match against Griqualand West in Kimberley on 18 September. Each provincial team may play 4 professional franchise players and must also field two under 21 players.

EP Coach Piet Botha “The tournament is an added highlight to the season and have a strong team participating. The players have been hard at work with some of our players playing overseas as well as a number of them being at the EP Academy over the past few months. The balance of the team have been with the Warriors during their pre-season build up. All in all everyone will be well prepared and are looking forward to measure themselves against some top international and franchise players.”

The team is as follows:
•Jon-Jon Smuts
•Gihahn Cloete
•Sisanda Magala
•Kelly Smuts
•Tladi Bokako
•Basheer Walters
•Onke Nyaku
•James Price
•Ethan O’Reilly
•Ngazi Sigwili
•Brad Dolley
•Matthew Christensen
•Eddie Moore
SWD

The inclusion of the Protea strike bowler, Vernon Philander, in the SWD team for the inaugural Africa Twenty20 Cup will boost SWD’s aspirations for this this event. The 30 year old Philander who represented South Africa in 31 test, 28 ODI’s and 7 Twenty 20 matches will add immense value to the SWD line-up that will also include the likes of Andrew Puttick, Sybrand Engelbrecht and Mthokozise Shezi – all players from the Cape Cobra’s franchise.

Local hero, Waldo Lategan, who made his debut for SWD as an 18 year old in 2007 will captain the Oudtshoorn based team that include experience SWD heroes such as Marcello Piedt, Pieter Stuurman, Luthando Mnyanda and Brendon Louw. The competition rulings stipulated that two u/21 players must be in the starting eleven and the selectors included Hanno Kotze and Christ Marrow for this purpose. Kotze already represented SWD at first class level and also represented the SA u/23 colts earlier this year whilst Marrow made huge impression as a SWD schools player.

According to SWD Cricket CEO, Albertus Kennedy, CSA introduced the Africa Twenty20 Cup that will take place in September and October 2015. “It was agreed on the proviso that a “World Cup” T20 style competition (i.e. preliminary pool stage and a knock-out stage) be introduced which competition would present Affiliates (the 12 Affiliate Members + KZN Inland) with an opportunity to generate additional revenue from such content. Namibia, Kenya and Zimbabwe will be adding international flavour to the event. “We are looking forward to this event since it will be SWD Cricket’s first exposure to live broadcasted matches on television” he said.

SWD was drawn in a pool together with Gauteng, Free State and Kenya which will be contested at the Mangaung Oval in Bloemfontein from 26-28 September 2015. The pool winner will advance to the semi-final knock out stages which will be contested the next weekend. Deon Smith, the SWD coach, expressed his excitement about the team selected. “Considering at the balance and potential of the team I is very confident that this SWD team has the potential to go all the way and bring a trophy to the Southern Cape” he said. The SWD High Performance coach, André du Plessis, will assist Smith as technical advisor for the tournament.

The squad of 13 players are: Waldo Lategan (captain), Andrew Puttick, Luthando Mnyanda, Hanno Kotze, Brendon Louw, Sybrand Engelbrecht, Vernon Philander, Marcello Piedt, Mthokozise Shezi, Lonwabo Rodolo, Siya Simetu, Pieter Stuurman and Chris Marrow.
Just BOLAND, GRIQUAS, KZN INLAND, NORTH WEST & GAUTENG to announce squads still.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
29-man SA u19 preliminary squad for the u19 world cup

WESTERN PROVINCE

Gavin KAPLAN (17)
Murray COMMINS (18)
Kyle VERREYNNE (18)
Dayyaan GALIEM (18)
Aaqil EBRAHIM (18)
Junaid DAWOOD (19)
Ziyaad ABRAHAMS (18)

EASTERN PROVINCE

Matthew BREETZKE (17)
Jonathan DRAAI (18)
Lutho SIPAMLA (17)

NATAL

Nduduzo MFOZA (18)
Okuhle CELE (18)

FREE STATE

Marno VAN GREUNING (18)
Sean WHITEHEAD (18)

GAUTENG

Liam SMITH (18)
Ricardo VASCONCELOS (18)
Tony DE ZORZI (18)
Wiaan MULDER (17)
Farhaan SAYANVALA (18)
Wandile MAKWETU (16)
Brandon GLOVER (18)
Conor MCKERR (17)
Chad CLAASEN (18)

NORTHERNS

Rivaldo MOONSAMY (19)
Dean FOXCROFT (17)
Willie LUDICK (18)

BOLAND

Luke PHILANDER (18)

NORTH WEST

Lesego SENOKWANE (18)

EASTERNS

Kebelo SEKHUKHUNE (18)
Who are the talent out of those guys?

Is Luke related to Vernon?

SeamUp

International Coach
Who are the talent out of those guys?

Is Luke related to Vernon?
Don't believe he is related to Vernon.

On our two Bangladesh series our best players have been Dayyaan Galiem, Wiaan Mulder & Sean Whitehead. Galiem bats 5 or 6 & opens the bowling or 1st change while Mulder bats 4 or 5 and comes on 2nd change I would say. Whitehead is a spinning all-rounder who was invited to a CSA spin-bowling camp already.

Believe Brandon Glover would be too but suffered from injuries as the strike bowler. Shukri Conrad , the coach of the SA academy, mentioned him in a commentary stint talking about the Highveld Lions future in fast bowling so they obviously aware of him.

We were weak at the top of the order & we brought in Liam Smith in the home series who improved that with him being leading run scorer in the home series + he scored a hundred in a warm-up game so possibly someone to watch.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA Emerging Tour to Sri Lanka

Aiden Markram, David White & Zubayr Hamza the stand-out batsmen.
Heinrch Klaasen & Clyde Fortuin both scored runs as keepers.
George Linde did well as the spinner.
Tshepo Moreki that stand-out seamer.

SeamUp

International Coach
Was just thinking going forward if we were without the senior core players & looking into the future. Especially limited overs cricket where we drastically need to improve to how we once were. We used to win almost all series and a lot were convincing.

We could throw in our young all-rounders into the same team.

Not including the following players :

Senior core: Amla, Faf, AB, JP, Philander, Steyn, Morkel
ODI oldies: Behardien, Tahir

Test squad only players say in 4 years : Elgar, van Zyl, Bavuma, Harmer, Abbott

Therefore ODI side could look like

Reeza Hendricks/Aiden Markram
Quinton de Kock
Rilee Rossouw/Theunis de Bruyn
Dave Miller/Zubayr Hamza
Wiaan Mulder
Dayyaan Galiem
Calvin Savage
Andile Phehlukwayo
Kagiso Rabada
Eddie Leie/Dane Piedt/George Linde
Craig Kirsten/Daryn Dupavillon

Gone purposefully for guys who can clear the boundary and can bowl seam-up from 5 to 9. Two opening strike-bowlers & a spinner who gets wickets. Pure batsman at 3/4 but offer something in the field.

SeamUp

International Coach
Carmi Le Roux !! Watched him for the first time now. Where has he come from ? Left-arm 142-145kmph ! Pretty decent. Good areas & a repeatable action. The action isn't the worst but probably could quicker with a bit of work. Tall as well.

Transvaal/Gauteng/Highveld Lions always been great producers of cricketers. Obviously were the powerhouses in the 80s but they did lose Graeme Smith, Vaughan van Jaarsveld, Dane Vilas, even Neil McKenzie left as a youngster but came back in the last 25 years. Now they've lost Quinny de Kock and even though Chris Morris is a Pretoria boy & gone back to the other side of the river they can feel they played a huge role in his development.

As usual they will have a few more young players like Le Roux to watch this season for Gauteng and potentially the Lions.

Producing players like de Kock, D. Hendricks, Pillay, Conway & Rabada in recent years for the Highveld Lions. Sean Jamison & Nono Pongolo recently contracted to the Highveld Lions from Gauteng amateur team.

Young Gauteng players to watch

Yassar Cook
Ryan Rickelton
Yaseen Valli
Grant Roelofsen
Karabo Mogtosi
Bradley Dial
Brian Barnard
Dale Deeb
Matthew McGillivray
Carmi Le Roux
Matt Arnold
Keith Dudgeon

As ever they produce the most for the SA u19 or always up there at least due to schools like KES, St Stithians, St Johns, St Davids, Jeppe, Parktown etc Guys like Liam Smith, Wiaan Mulder, Brandon Glover & Conor McKerr are key players for the SA u19 side. Even Ricardo Vasconcelos who is the enlarged SA u19 group has done well at club level as wk/batsman. Lot of talk about the youngest member of that 29-man SA u19 group with Wandile Makwetu as well. So it looks they won't stop producing players anytime soon.

Last edited: