• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa facing ICC ban?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

South African cricket was plunged back into crisis on Sunday when the country’s sports minister said he had “no option” other than to become directly involved in Cricket South Africa’s (CSA) affairs.
This could result in the withdrawing of government recognition of CSA and jeopardise South Africa’s standing in the International Cricket Council.

The ICC have the power to ban South Africa.

Cricket’s governing body forbid the interference of governments and the punishment has been an international ban until the national cricket body is independent.
Needless to say, terrible news for all concerned.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just some updates for those that are interested.
‘Before doing so‚ I call upon the MC to show cause by no later than 17h00 on Tuesday 20 April 2021‚ why I should not invoke my powers in terms s13(5)(c) of the act by inter alia (a) directing SRSA to refrain from funding CSA‚ (b) notifying CSA in writing that it would no longer be recognised by SRSA‚ (c) publishing my decision as contemplated above in the Government Gazette at the earliest opportunity,’ the letter from Mthethwa read.

So I can understand why the council had cold feet based on some of the points they made. My issue though is that this members council has run SA cricket into the ground (through CSA). They have consistently used delay tactics to prevent intervention and now we are meant to believe that they are working in the interest of SA cricket? I mean why would they indicate that they would be happy to vote for the changes 10 days earlier when they had not actually seen the final changes? It does feel like a concerted political move, to try delay enough so that they can continue on in a manner that they have always done. I don't like the government intervention, but honestly the government is one that has the power to intervene at this stage because of the way cricket administration has been setup in the first place.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Just some updates for those that are interested.

So I can understand why the council had cold feet based on some of the points they made. My issue though is that this members council has run SA cricket into the ground (through CSA). They have consistently used delay tactics to prevent intervention and now we are meant to believe that they are working in the interest of SA cricket? I mean why would they indicate that they would be happy to vote for the changes 10 days earlier when they had not actually seen the final changes? It does feel like a concerted political move, to try delay enough so that they can continue on in a manner that they have always done. I don't like the government intervention, but honestly the government is one that has the power to intervene at this stage because of the way cricket administration has been setup in the first place.
From the Kenya experience, ICC isn't as anal about government intervention as FIFA's don't you dare touch our cronies approach.

Cricket Kenya had been lurching from one 6 month suspension notice to another, without finding the impetus to get its act together, so our Sports Cabinet Secretary first had a quiet word with the ICC and in essence got a green light to appoint a 'normalisation' committee of judges and other old wise ones to fix things by July.

Power dynamics might be different for a full member of the ICC though.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Feel sorry for van Neikerk and the womens team more generally. They have been performing well and frankly don't deserve to be dragged into this whole general cluster**** of a situation

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Feel sorry for van Neikerk and the womens team more generally. They have been performing well and frankly don't deserve to be dragged into this whole general cluster**** of a situation
Pardon my ignorance but why would the womens team be less involved in the situation than the mens team?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah looks like I misread said statement in the first place.

Note to self: don't post on CW early in the morning before coffee

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Minister of Sport Nathi Mthethwa has officially informed Cricket South Africa’s interim board and members’ council that he will invoke section 13(5) of the National Sports Act.

After threatening the organisation with his interference since last weekend’s Special General Meeting, Mthethwa indicated to CSA on Thursday evening that he will do so by removing its recognition as the ruling authority of cricket in South Africa.

Mthethwa also made it clear that he will write to the ICC to inform them of his plan of action, which could lead to the suspension of the Proteas from international cricket by the governing body.

‘I have decided to invoke my powers under the Act and I hereby notify you that I have done so in accordance with s13 (5)(i)-(iii) by defunding CSA and derecognising CSA and I will cause this to be published in the Government Gazette in due course at the earliest opportunity,’ Mthethwa wrote in the letter.

This could now be gazetted within 48 hours.
48 h to sort out their crap, else SA no longer have an official cricketing authority...

And while this has been going on for a good 9-10 years, this all really came to a head when CSA revoked some journalists accreditations.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Until Sunday the Members' Council were resistant to a majority independent board, but under threat of the game ceasing to exist in the country, changed their minds.
Amusing. Its almost like having you job pulled out from under you focuses the mind?