• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic Season 2011/12

Rasimione

U19 Captain
The reason they find it difficult to get games this season is they are in matric, and there is mid-year exams, prelims and final exams during the first half of summer. Then all the u19 cricket takes place when school is finished like the Coke Week, Cubs week and SA u19 international season.

You've got to be at a provincial team that gives school boys games which is a pity. WP, Free State and Northerns don't give schoolboys opportunities. So a player like Corne' Dry would have got his debut at another union by now.

But luckily Subrayen, Savage, Pillay and Rosier play at unions that will give schoolboys games. Other schoolboys have got games but mainly last season like the Boland foursome of Frylinck, Bredenkamp, Williams and Englebrecht. Hopefully Craig Kirsten will get his debut soon.

The reason this SA u19 side could be very good is that through pedigree the more successful players do well and get into the SA colts or schools team before their final year. De Kock, Pillay, Rosier, Savage, Frylinck, Kirsten and Dry have all done it. Understandable for a spinner to maybe not make it but Subrayen was Schools captain this year.
Its a real shame when youn players don't get opportunities. Btw it looks like fast bowlers are falling off trees at u19 level.The way things are going, being good with the bat will count alot in future.@SeamUp do you by chance know what happend to Matthew Arnold? He looked good enough to make it at domestic level. Im just hoping our spin bowling talents don't give up spin and concentrate on batting only.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Collin Ingram is finally maturing. Hope he now cashes in. So sad for Cook and Puttick, but they are inconsistent.

SeamUp

International Coach
Its a real shame when youn players don't get opportunities. Btw it looks like fast bowlers are falling off trees at u19 level.The way things are going, being good with the bat will count alot in future.@SeamUp do you by chance know what happend to Matthew Arnold? He looked good enough to make it at domestic level. Im just hoping our spin bowling talents don't give up spin and concentrate on batting only.
Arnold did have a lot of pace. Tbh I think injuries got to him and he has ended up playing club cricket as a batsman. The last I saw he was playing club cricket under the Gauteng union, don't know for which club.

A strength of South Africa's past was all-rounders, we've had them from Faulkner, Goddard, Barlow, Procter, Rice, McMillan, S. Pollock, Kallis and Klusener. Others as well.

So we need to start developing that area as well. Good to see Parnell batting in the top 6 and Duminy is more than handy with the ball.

The u19 ranks have a few like Pillay, Rosier, Subrayen, Savage and Frylinck as well so we need to keep that going.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
so the talent is there at domestic level, we just have to find it. Funny thing is that fast bowlers are coming from unheard of places. A fast bowler fron tzaneen? Hardus viljoen is from witbank.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Harmer looks (purely from looking at those pics) fairly attacking. Good news!

I'd like to see a county-like system implemented in South Africa - the more teams, the more youngsters get a chance.

I'm thinking that I should work on my batting - anyone with technique will probably get a game! :D

Rasimione

U19 Captain
The Titans have always had such problems to find balance with 4 players of colour having to be selected for every game and one should be 'black' scenario.

It will take a lot to get the gloves off Kuhn as thats his hope to get international recognition but I would rather play Mosehle than this Bodibe they are playing in the 4-day staff currently.

But that to me won't help Mosehle playing for South Africa because Quinton De Kock is the real deal and should be South Africa's next keeper. But I wouldn't be disappointed if Kuhn or Smit got a chance first. Smit is easily the best glovesman in the country with Bouch and has worked hard on his batting.

In the Titans set-up I feel for someone like Pieter Malan who has so much talent but yet cannot get near a Titans team regularly enough and there others in the Northerns amateur team as well like Francois Le Clus, Josh Richards, David Bunn, Douglas Hewitt and Christiaan Schoeman that would be closer to franchise cricket of there were at other franchises.
After checking some of the stats of the guys you mentioned, i now realise the titans have a problem. The guys mentioned there are good enough to play at franchise level but cant cause of quotas. Sad really because it seems the titans are the ones hardest hit by this. Having said that, something that i have realised is that most of this black guys are opening the batting for their provinces, so could it be that they are being set up to fail?

MrPrez

International Debutant
Can I ask a quick question:

Is Boucher a good keeper? Ignore his batting and attitude, look purely to his keeping skills.

I won't say which side I am for, I'm having an argument with a guy on another forum, interested to see what you guys think :)

SeamUp

International Coach
Can I ask a quick question:

Is Boucher a good keeper? Ignore his batting and attitude, look purely to his keeping skills.

I won't say which side I am for, I'm having an argument with a guy on another forum, interested to see what you guys think :)
Without doubt. He is a legend and one of the games best gloveman. He is on the fall without doubt as he is 35 but I still think he is the best available. Only have to ask one of his fellow great keepers Ian Healy about Bouchers ability.

I don't particularly have much faith for any of our domestic keepers to keep anywhere near consistently as him and score enough runs to keep the vultures off their backs.

Personally think De Kock must be the next keeper so ideally Boucher can keep until then. Especially with tours to New Zealand and England coming up. Probably two of the toughest places to keep.

AB can keep in the one day game but should never come in for test cricket with his back problem and part of our batting strength.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Thank you, you're the most knowledgable person regarding SA cricket I know, and you agree with my opinion :D

The other guy accused him of being a useless keeper...

SeamUp

International Coach
After checking some of the stats of the guys you mentioned, i now realise the titans have a problem. The guys mentioned there are good enough to play at franchise level but cant cause of quotas. Sad really because it seems the titans are the ones hardest hit by this. Having said that, something that i have realised is that most of this black guys are opening the batting for their provinces, so could it be that they are being set up to fail?
Haven't noticed that. Tough to answer the reasoning behind that, if thats the case. If they are opening then they have to be openers and perform like all openers I guess.

SeamUp

International Coach
Thank you, you're the most knowledgable person regarding SA cricket I know, and you agree with my opinion :D

The other guy accused him of being a useless keeper...
Cheers mate.

:unsure: WOW

There is always someone to blame in sport when things aren't going well for your team. This has probably been our most inconsistent period since re-admission so the vultures will start with the exaggerations.

I personally do believe there needs to be a few changes though to wake a few up. Boucher in the test squad isn't one but Boucher left out of ODI squad is definitely one. I also would have loved Levi for instance to also be in the ODI squad.

Our future T20 teams also need to be youth and those pushing for ODI places.

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Haven't noticed that. Tough to answer the reasoning behind that, if thats the case. If they are opening then they have to be openers and perform like all openers I guess.
Rudi Seconds has good stats as a wicket keeper batsmen, know anythin about him? Averages 48 with the bat. Playing for Free State this days.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Cheers mate.

:unsure: WOW

There is always someone to blame in sport when things aren't going well for your team. This has probably been our most inconsistent period since re-admission so the vultures will start with the exaggerations.

I personally do believe there needs to be a few changes though to wake a few up. Boucher in the test squad isn't one but Boucher left out of ODI squad is definitely one. I also would have loved Levi for instance to also be in the ODI squad.

Our future T20 teams also need to be youth and those pushing for ODI places.
Do we really need to have a lance klusener kinda guy in the team? I remember the 99 world cup, we picked the best batsmen and the best bowlers. If i remember correctly boucher was batting at 9. Gee that was a great team. I think in the ODI set up, Parnell should bat alot higher. Maybe 7? He has the technique from what i have seen.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rudi Seconds has good stats as a wicket keeper batsmen, know anythin about him? Averages 48 with the bat. Playing for Free State this days.
Not too much.

He played for Border in the Coke Week of 2006 and got into the SA colts team. Went to Queens College.

Probably make the academy in-take at the end of the season.

SeamUp

International Coach
Do we really need to have a lance klusener kinda guy in the team? I remember the 99 world cup, we picked the best batsmen and the best bowlers. If i remember correctly boucher was batting at 9. Gee that was a great team. I think in the ODI set up, Parnell should bat alot higher. Maybe 7? He has the technique from what i have seen.
Definitely should be the the idea with Parnell to bat higher but AD still needs to work with him with his action and so on because he used to have a lot going for him as a bowler ...being left-arm, could swing it into the RHB, decent pace and could bowl a good yorker.

Of course that 1999 team was up there with the best imo, Would be great to have a Lance Klusener but preferably would like him to bowl a bit.

Interesting to see what they do with power hitters in the next year or two but would love to see more agression from a Levi up front given a go somewhere along the line. Probably in T20 first.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Cheers.
Have you ever considering blogging or something of the sort? With your knowledge, I would definitely read your articles!

SeamUp

International Coach
Golden opportunity knocks at Cubs Week

This year’s Cricket South Africa (CSA) Franchise Cubs Week will give the future stars of South Africa a final chance to get the national selectors to sit up and take notice of them. The Week starts on Tuesday, 3 January in Stellenbosch where all six of South Africa’s franchises will play each other for national under-19 squad placement as well as getting their names out for potential semi-professional and professional contracts.

CSA Schools Cricket Manager Niels Momberg said; “The 2012 chapter of Cubs Week will be different because we will only have six sides participating as opposed to the usual eight sides which usually include Zimbabwe and an invitational squad. We are expecting a very high standard of cricket this year what with all that is at stake.”

Momberg refers to the fact that the national under-19 squad due to play a triangular series against neighbour Zimbabwe and Pakistan as well as a three-match ODI against Pakistan will be announced at the culmination of the Week, making this year’s competition one of the toughest with every participant playing for this golden opportunity.

If that is not enough, the squad set to compete in this year’s ICC Under-19 World Cup will also be announced, with the same group forming this year’s CSA National Academy in preparation for the World Cup taking place in Australia in August. South Africa has been drawn in Group D along with Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and neighbours Namibia.

Cubs Week, as it more popularly known, is the culmination of a long process for all of the players participating. Most of these players have been monitored closely for approximately three years, excluding the current South Africa under-19 group, who will now be going into the senior amateur and provincial ranks.

The Week will give players a real taste of professional cricket, staying in hotels and the most exciting part of all, playing in coloured clothing.

“As much as this Week is important for the selection of the national team, it is also important for those players who will not be selected as semi-pro and professional contracts are at stake. This is also the last opportunity for these young men to play in a controlled environment before going out in the big world,” Momberg concluded.

FIXTURES:

3 January
Nashua Titans v Bizhub Highveld Lions at Coetzenburg Oval
Chevrolet Knights v Chevrolet Warriors at Tassies Oval
Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras v Sunfoil Dolphins at Van der Stel

4 January
Nashua Titans v Sunfoil Dolphins at Bridgehouse
Bizhub Highveld Lions v Chevrolet Warriors at Distell
Nashua Cape Cobras v Chevrolet Knights at Somerset College

5 January
Sunfoil Dolphins v Chevrolet Knights at Coetzenburg Oval
Bizhub Highveld Lions v Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras at Tassies Oval