• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sobers vs Viv vs Lara

The Best WI Batsman

• Sobers

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Richards

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Lara

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Headley

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont get it, why Viv should be anything less than top 5 batsmen of all time. For me, I only put Sachin and maybe Sobers above him.
Never said he wasn't top 5.

Sobers
Lara
Tendulkar
Richards
Smith

For me are in a league of their own after Bradman (not including openers, if I were then would add Hutton)

Because of when I started watching cricket, I was witness to the extended downside to Viv's batting, it was a struggle at times.
Inclusive of everyone one since, Lara was the best batsman I've seen and as such I rate him higher than Viv, Smith or Sachin and accordingly, Viv along with Smith, brought up the rear of that too tier. That's all I meant.

Just for reference, similar top tier for bowlers

Marshall

McGrath
Hadlee
Steyn
Ambrose

(Quicker men only, Murali and Warne tacked on if spinners included)

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Never said he wasn't top 5.

Sobers
Lara
Tendulkar
Richards
Smith

For me are in a league of their own after Bradman (not including openers, if I were then would add Hutton)

Because of when I started watching cricket, I was witness to the extended downside to Viv's batting, it was a struggle at times.
Inclusive of everyone one since, Lara was the best batsman I've seen and as such I rate him higher than Viv, Smith or Sachin and accordingly, Viv along with Smith, brought up the rear of that too tier. That's all I meant.

Just for reference, similar top tier for bowlers

Marshall

McGrath
Hadlee
Steyn
Ambrose
Yes, I was agreeing you about how Viv is being overlooked now.

Is that list for all bowlers or just pacers?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, I was agreeing you about how Viv is being overlooked now.

Is that list for all bowlers or just pacers?
Just the pacers (should have included the same bit I did about openers)
But thinking about it, not sure if that would change the order tbh)

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Viv Richards. Close with Sobers, but Viv ahead. Points in favour of Sobers are a better long term peak, averages much higher, more monster series. But in the case of Viv, Points in Viv’s favour are he batted for his entire career in tougher batting conditions, a better short team peak(than anyone bar Bradman), and for atleast a series dominated the best bowlers of his time(and some of all time) like even Sachin or Lara couldn’t(and he overall also has favourable matchups against them) and his faster rate of scoring which meant he could change the game is the matter of a session, and his unprecedented psychological impact on the bowlers, like ending Rodney Hogg’s career in matter of 8-9 overs( this is one point that shows that stats can’t always measure of a player, especially like Viv). Also Viv has a clearly more rounded home/away record, even if you don’t consider Sober’s struggles in NZ(less or no minnow bashing).

shortpitched713

International Captain
Lara, just over Sobers. Probably a bit of my modern bias showing through, but for me Lara is the BSB (best since Bradman), along with Sobers and most probably Smith if he doesn't overtake them both. Viv I also rate highly, but I think his record is such that he has to be on a rung below them.

Even when I watch Smith, and I know he's performing better than Lara, a part of me has just crystallized the image of Lara, and everything about the way he bats as "perfect". I guess that's what happens with all our childhood stars, in a way.