• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith v Kohli (test match batting)

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith vs Kohli thread will always become off-topic because one is definitely the better test batsman and other the better limited overs batsman. There is really no comparison.
And Daemon is really trying too hard to become a moderator. :ph34r:
Ha ha ha

Flem274*

123/5
smiths patience is just on another level, and that's ultimately what separates him from kohli and kane. you can bowl perfectly to him and keep him scoreless for 40 balls and he'll still grind a 40-80 score if you continue to bowl on the money to him.

kohli, kane and root would and do get out to that pressure.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
How do you sum up the Fab 4 highlighting biggest strength of each? Mine below.

Smith: Temperament
Kohli: Stroke-play
Williamson: Aesthetic
Root: Consistent

TNT

Banned

Can I ask how you arrived at Root being more consistent. I'm not going to argue the point, its your call but I'm just interested in what makes Root more consistent.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Can I ask how you arrived at Root being more consistent. I'm not going to argue the point, its your call but I'm just interested in what makes Root more consistent.
Yes, what mr mister said. To say the truth, all of the 4 adjectives apply to all 4 of them. So, I was going one for each without repeating. Root has been quite consistent in hitting the fifties though his hundred conversion has been terrible. And hence, assigned that to him.

TNT

Banned
Looking at the stats of Kohli and Smith one thing that stands out is that Kohli has been dismissed for a duck 10 times to pace bowling and not once to spin. Smith has two ducks to spin and two to pace too. (couldent resist that).

Smith has passed 50 runs in 41.98% of his innings and Kohli has passed 50 in 34.75% of his innings.

The stat that blew my mind was Smith (42) has hit nearly twice as many sixes as Kohl(22) in test matches.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
if Root’s biggest strength is his consistency it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s more consistent than anyone else.

TNT

Banned
if Root’s biggest strength is his consistency it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s more consistent than anyone else.
Thats why I asked the question, Root is not the most consistent batsmen mentioned so I thought there would have to be filters applied and I wanted to understand the statement in the correct context.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Smith : Cheat
Kohli : Knob
Williamson : Irrelevant
Root : makes a lot of 50s

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats why I asked the question, Root is not the most consistent batsmen mentioned so I thought there would have to be filters applied and I wanted to understand the statement in the correct context.
Being more serious, Root did used to be the most dependable to make a score......not a big one, but a contribution. Don't think that's the case now though. He really has fallen away from this group in every way.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could we be seeing the start of a drop off for Kane as well? He made 1 century a few Tests ago against a poor England side but other than that not done a whole lot with the bat recently.

Even Smith who seems to be in his worst form in 5 years was still spamming 60s and 80s against NZ and dominating white-ball cricket

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could we be seeing the start of a drop off for Kane as well? He made 1 century a few Tests ago against a poor England side but other than that not done a whole lot with the bat recently.

Even Smith who seems to be in his worst form in 5 years was still spamming 60s and 80s against NZ and dominating white-ball cricket
You mean the same English side who is in the process of walloping South Africa in South Africa?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2019 wasn't a great year for Williamson in Tests if you dig deeper into the stats a bit. Averaged 51 over the year, but made 200* against a toothless Bangladesh team, and an unbeaten hundred against England where Denly put down the easiest catch of all time when Williamson was in his teens. 2018, he played some outstanding, series defining knocks.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
See, this is why I'm convinced you don't watch cricket outside of Aus.
What do you disagree with? The English side hasn't changed *That much* between the two series, particularly in the bowling (which without Archer is arguably worse in the SA series).