• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Garfield Sobers vs Sir Ravindra Jadeja

Sobers vs Jadeja- better A/R

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

shortpitched713

International Captain
I'm part of the "all-rounder rating is highly dependent on being a frontline bowler" crew. At the very least it makes it a much more impressive feat to have an all-round record that includes being one of the top 1-3 options of a bowling attack. However, Sobers is just a goliath and has bowling volume.

I think this is actually a very close comparison though, because I really rate Jadeja's bowling. But I'll go Sobers, just. Though I think Jadeja beats Kallis, by a somewhat bigger margin, as an all-rounder.

ataraxia

International Coach
I'm part of the "all-rounder rating is highly dependent on being a frontline bowler" crew. At the very least it makes it a much more impressive feat to have an all-round record that includes being one of the top 1-3 options of a bowling attack. However, Sobers is just a goliath and has bowling volume.

I think this is actually a very close comparison though, because I really rate Jadeja's bowling. But I'll go Sobers, just. Though I think Jadeja beats Kallis, by a somewhat bigger margin, as an all-rounder.
Yeah I think it's actually pretty simple to construct a good rating system that also happens to rate Jadeja over Sobers, hilariously.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Jadeja is a quality front line bowler. Don't think that it's hilarious that he could be rated over Sobers. The downgrade away from home is the only reason I have Sobers barely eeking over him. Otherwise even with a lesser but more balanced home/away performance I'd take Jadeja over him as an all-rounder, but that's hypothetical.

Obviously Sobers is the greater cricketer. But that's not the same question as greater all-rounder, for mine.