• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Wales have their own national team?

cnerd123

likes this
Yes

Every country and special administrative region should have their own teams

The ECB should disband and the ICC should encourage the formation of a independent Wales cricket team

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Glamorgan often market themselves as Wales’ national team.
Glamorgan's team from their last FC match:

Hamish Rutherford - From NZ, developed in Otago
David Lloyd - From Wales! Developed in Wales!
Joe Cooke - From Hertfordshire, developed in Hertfordshire and Durham MCCU
Eddie Byrom - From Zimbabwe, developed in Somerset
Kiran Carlson - From Wales! Developed in Wales!
Chris Cooke - From South Africa. Developed in Gauteng.
Dan Douthwaite - From Surrey. Developed in Surrey, also played for Warks, Cardiff MCCU and MCC.
Callum Taylor - From Wales! Developed in Wales!
Andrew Salter - From Wales! Developed in Wales!
Jamie McIlroy - From Hereford. That's near enough. Wales!
Michael Hogan - Australian. Not from Wales

So, they'd need to find at least another 6 players to qualify as a Wales team. Not convinced of the quality of the majority of those Welsh players either.

HeathDavisSpeed

I was just curious...just was an honest question.
I think its a Principality, but really one of the component parts (Sovereign States?) of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - same (or similar) status to Scotland. Jersey, Bermuda, Isle of Man etc. are Crown Dependencies and not technically part of the UK.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Glamorgan's team from their last FC match:

Hamish Rutherford - From NZ, developed in Otago
David Lloyd - From Wales! Developed in Wales!
Joe Cooke - From Hertfordshire, developed in Hertfordshire and Durham MCCU
Eddie Byrom - From Zimbabwe, developed in Somerset
Kiran Carlson - From Wales! Developed in Wales!
Chris Cooke - From South Africa. Developed in Gauteng.
Dan Douthwaite - From Surrey. Developed in Surrey, also played for Warks, Cardiff MCCU and MCC.
Callum Taylor - From Wales! Developed in Wales!
Andrew Salter - From Wales! Developed in Wales!
Jamie McIlroy - From Hereford. That's near enough. Wales!
Michael Hogan - Australian. Not from Wales

So, they'd need to find at least another 6 players to qualify as a Wales team. Not convinced of the quality of the majority of those Welsh players either.
Probably enough players with Welsh parents/grandparents to make a decent associate level cricket team, but the real question is "why", I suppose.

HeathDavisSpeed

Probably enough players with Welsh parents/grandparents to make a decent associate level cricket team, but the real question is "why", I suppose.
If there were a host of good Welsh cricketers missing out on international selection because they have to compete with England players then that'd be why. I would assume that there should be a Welsh team out there good enough to compete with Scotland, in which case T20 World Cup qualification, or even an outside bet at ODI World Cup qualification could be plausible. It's not as if the England team market themselves as representing Wales, so I can definitely see reasons why it could be appealing.

EDIT: Who would be these Welshmen that should have played some international cricket? James Harris is possibly the only one I can think of who at some point a few years back was touted as potentially playing for England. Otherwise, in the last 25 years, you're looking at Simon Jones, Geraint Jones, Robert Croft and Matthew Maynard. Steve Watkin and Hugh Morris if you go back a little further.