• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Super 8 be divided into two groups?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree, they are all about the money...
However.. is there anything wrong with that? Whats so bad about making lots of money and pumping 100% of it back into the game? If they wernt making money the game would basically become an amateur sport and test matches would very quickly disapear as they are basically subsidised by this money.
Err... I$C$C don't cover the costs of every game of cricket. The large majority of money which flows into I$C$C's coffers goes into black-holes - either being wasted on the "development" (which has seen countless millions of dollars thrown into what has so far produced one thoroughly dubious case, Kenya) or just lining the pockets of executives, lawyers, etc.

It's the National Boards that need to make money to stage cricket. And in the vast majority of cases, they do. But not with I$C$C events - only a tiny proportion gets passed-down from World Cups, Champions Trophies, etc.

And all this meantime, one of I$C$C's supposed Full Member countries, Zimbabwe, continues to have something like 90% on the edge of starvation...
I say make as much money as they can!
Ok there has been the whole player burnout issue, but its a small price to pay for a healthy state of the international game.
Eh? If burn-out really does take hold, there is no healthy state. The game will crumble to ruins. Burn-out is a massive danger at the current time.
As i say, the whole point of the professional game should be to make loads of money to better improve and spread the game as much as possible. It is the only way for it to survive.
It certainly isn't the only way for it to survive - were cricket to retain the same 8 countries playing that it currently has, I'm absolutely certain it'd survive in perfectly rude health for the next 100 years. Yes, it'd be nice, if possible, to spread the Gospel to as many Churches as possible, but if it happens it happens, if not, not.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
you need to get your facts straight. i wasn't taking about odi or test status. and yeah champions trophy and the super series is crap but world XI isn't a member of the ICC are they? no so you have to a nation not combined nation to be a icc member. second what you call the world cricket league and intercontinental cup? the icc needs money to support these sorts of things plus the full members do get a share of the profit thats why zimbabwe and west indies are so eager about it because if you read articles about it zim now has 4 yearly election so the newly elect board have money right after the world cup and west indies is trying to get out of it$$ crisis through the money they going to get on the world cup. tell me one organization that doesn't do stuff for money? plus its not like they are keeping the money so to me they don't care about money

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Eh? If burn-out really does take hold, there is no healthy state. The game will crumble to ruins. Burn-out is a massive danger at the current time.
All Sports get burnout issues. Name one mainstream sport that doesnt.. Its just something the boards have to deal with. Dont schedule 7 odi series where 3 would satisfy icc. Same goes for test series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the problem is not dealt with, the game is in big, big trouble.

No other sport suffers as badly as cricket at the current time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
you need to get your facts straight. i wasn't taking about odi or test status. and yeah champions trophy and the super series is crap but world XI isn't a member of the ICC are they?
Err - the World XI were I$C$C's idea. Therefore they are entirely to blame for the whole thing.
no so you have to a nation not combined nation to be a icc member. second what you call the world cricket league and intercontinental cup? the icc needs money to support these sorts of things
Throwing money at projects which have to date yielded precisely nothing...
plus the full members do get a share of the profit thats why zimbabwe and west indies are so eager about it because if you read articles about it zim now has 4 yearly election so the newly elect board have money right after the world cup and west indies is trying to get out of it$$ crisis through the money they going to get on the world cup.
Well, if I$C$C were really concerned about The WICB's problems you'd think they might just do more to help them out, wouldn't you...? The WICB has been in serious trouble for ages now, and I$C$C have done next to nothing to help - despite being rich beyond dreams.

As for The ZCU, it's a complete disgrace that anyone would want to help them in any way, they're completely corrupt and giving money to them is the same as throwing it into the street. The ZCU should have been chucked off the top table long ago, and I$C$C can't, because to do such a thing would jeapordise their own income.
tell me one organization that doesn't do stuff for money? plus its not like they are keeping the money so to me they don't care about money
Err, what? They are keeping countless amounts of it - where it could be spent on helping-out organizations like The WICB.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
err err err....lol listen guy world ix was icc idea and they are at fault but that wasnt my point, my point was you cant have comibed teams to be member of icc(exception west indies). ah yes they have, some projects failed and some didn't china project is working currently while usa project failed due to usaca; not all projects are going be to successes. ah they cant just give money to west indies thats not fair for the other members but they do give money to them fairly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
err err err....lol listen guy world ix was icc idea and they are at fault but that wasnt my point, my point was you cant have comibed teams to be member of icc(exception west indies). ah yes they have, some projects failed and some didn't china project is working currently while usa project failed due to usaca; not all projects are going be to successes. ah they cant just give money to west indies thats not fair for the other members but they do give money to them fairly.
It is fair - West Indies are far more important to international cricket than anyone else who is cash-strapped and if I$C$C are serious about a global game they need to think very seriously about whether a weak West Indies is something that can be afforded. Sorting-out The WICB should be I$C$C's main priority with all this supposedly spare cash, not laying-on nonsense tournaments like some of those we've seen recently.

China project, incidentally, is doing nothing of the sorts. Are the kids playing with tapeballs on the streets of Shanghai? Are they heck!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
uh their womens team just played a sixes tournament and yes their kids are playing cricket there...go get some facts...2 WICB is a board isn't it? its like any other board. if they f*ck up they pay for it. their momy doesn't come and save them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
uh their womens team just played a sixes tournament
You need to learn the difference between Sixes and cricket.
and yes their kids are playing cricket there...go get some facts...
So where's the evidence to back that up?
2 WICB is a board isn't it? its like any other board. if they f*ck up they pay for it. their momy doesn't come and save them.
Someone else will doubtless tell you that the filter is there for a reason... and no, if they ****-up, someone should be there to pick-up the pieces, because believe it or not a healthy state of cricket in West Indies is just a tad on the important side... especially if we have ambitions to globalise the game.

James

Cricket Web Owner
uh their womens team just played a sixes tournament and yes their kids are playing cricket there...go get some facts...2 WICB is a board isn't it? its like any other board. if they f*ck up they pay for it. their momy doesn't come and save them.
The filter is there for a reason!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
You need to learn the difference between Sixes and cricket.
uh i do....at the end of the day its still cricket! so odi and twenty20 isn't cricket? thats like saying that no matter if you like them or not at the end of the day its still cricket!

Someone else will doubtless tell you that the filter is there for a reason... and no, if they ****-up, someone should be there to pick-up the pieces, because believe it or not a healthy state of cricket in West Indies is just a tad on the important side... especially if we have ambitions to globalise the game.
and guess what some else is there...the ICC and the WI are going to get back on track from the money they are going to get from the world cup; atleast thats what WI are hopping for. at this point ther are not broken and they can still walk on their own, just needs the money from the world cup...as they are making friends with india and dealing their own bussiness.... the ICC isn't anyone's mommy:laugh: ... they are more of a boss who gives them chances, and they are giving Wi chances to pick up their own pieces up...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
uh i do....at the end of the day its still cricket! so odi and twenty20 isn't cricket? thats like saying that no matter if you like them or not at the end of the day its still cricket!
Sixes patently is not cricket - it's a game loosely based on cricket.

I personally struggle to credit Twenty20 as cricket, too.
and guess what some else is there...the ICC and the WI are going to get back on track from the money they are going to get from the world cup; atleast thats what WI are hopping for. at this point ther are not broken and they can still walk on their own, just needs the money from the world cup...as they are making friends with india and dealing their own bussiness.... the ICC isn't anyone's mommy:laugh: ... they are more of a boss who gives them chances, and they are giving Wi chances to pick up their own pieces up...
So it was a good idea to wait for 8 years, when people were saying ICC should be using it's money to sort-out West Indies in 1999?

ICC are certainly not in a position to "give West Indies chances to pick-up their own pieces" - they can either stand by and watch the walls crumble or they can help-out.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
they are what don't you get! that's why after this world cup WI is going to be ok. the icc can't just give money to WI like that thats not professionalism. there have to be a reason and saying we can't afford to stand by and watch isn't professionalism / its more like mothering the board. and yes it takes time to get something up again

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err, "professionalism" does not come into anything whatsoever. I$C$C's brief is to keep the cricket World in the best state it can. To be accused of "mothering" is not something anyone is going to give a flying **** about, given that they've willingly refused to get involved in the Zimbabwe nonsense and rightly copped a ****load of flak for it.

The World Cup will be of no use to West Indies if the money is not used wisely - which past experience suggests is perfectly conceivable. To suggest that the Cup will solve everything is stupid. And it's also utterly belated - such money would have been far more useful 10 years ago. As would some sort of decent means of investing it.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
thats up to the the WI board so blame their board not ICC...its the board that deals with the money

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's The WICB's fault (to an extent - not all debt can be blamed exclusively on the indebted) for them getting into trouble ITFP.

It's I$C$C's fault for not getting them out of it when they had plenty the resources to do so.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
whats the point of giving fines if the board isn't going to suffer for it? its like saying ok you do this then your punishment if you will pay us x amount of $$$s but then when you pay them you mom gives you the money back? how will that be a punishment? you get a ticket for driving, you should pay for it not you mommy or your just a spoiled brat. so icc isn't going to get them out of it WI will get them selves out of it cause they aint a spoiled board. icc is just helping them out little bit. hope the mommy examples helps you get it to prospective lol