• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Saqlain Play for Surrey this coming sesion?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
His performances have waned in the last few seasons and he really looks burnt out. A break would do him good.

Swervy

International Captain
thats sounds like a good enough reason for me (a lancashire supporter) that he does play for 'the scum':D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Swervy said:
thats sounds like a good enough reason for me (a lancashire supporter) that he does play for 'the scum':D
As a Lancashire supporter I'm pretty sure your the (scouse) Scum :)

:saint: :saint:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Swervy said:
dont associate me with scousers.....Im an Aussie who grew up in Blackpool:D
Excuse me, but isn't that worse? Aussie AND Blackpool? I'd be ashamed to be either ;)

Swervy

International Captain
its a struggle......i do only live 15 mins drive from the Yorks/lancs border so i can almost smell civilization when the wind blows from the west..otherwise all i can smell is cow dung, or the abatoir in Bradford or the horrible chavs in keighley

Swervy

International Captain
although its strange coz I have almost developed a soft spot for Yorkshire CCC...i want them to do well-ish so they can get hammered by Lancs in the Championship

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I think that if Saqlain can really prove himself in this coming series against India he should carry on for Surrey, but if he has a bad series then he should perhaps have a break from county cricket.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Armadillo said:
I think that if Saqlain can really prove himself in this coming series against India he should carry on for Surrey.
About as likely to happen as you start bowling well.

Has been worked out recently.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Come on Hals you just can't admit that I have the skill of Warney and you have about that of Khaled Mahmud. Don't even get me started on batting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the Saqlain subject I think that he is due a good performance and this series might just be it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the series is played on spin-friendly wickets Saqlain has a great chance to impress and if he bowls as he can he will do so.
If it's not, I expect his Test career to be over. Hopefully he'll end with an average of over 30. But still, whenever Pakistan play on spin-friendly wickets, he's a must. And he should be playing every ODI.
He's effectively a Surrey lad now, and it'd be a shame to change that.

Beleg

International Regular
Saqlain's test record is not bad at all. Over 4 wickets per test in about 50 tests is a good average. It is in ODI's that his form has waned and he has steadily become ineffectively. Perhaps it is because he has lost his innovative quality, has been worked out or perhaps he's just burnt out. But I personally think a break from Surrey will do him good; so that he could focus his full attention and energy on the Internation circuit and concentrate upon playing for his country and performing there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO playing for Surrey has been a huge part in Saqlain's success in Pakistan. He has been able to keep up the running; it's not really possible for a spinner to suffer physical burn-out, and if he's getting good figures I'm sure he'd prefer be playing than sitting around.
Personally, though, I've never thought Saqlain offers much in terms of penetration into good batting ranks on pitches that don't turn much. He's sure effective on a turner, but not otherwise.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
If the series is played on spin-friendly wickets Saqlain has a great chance to impress and if he bowls as he can he will do so.
If it's not, I expect his Test career to be over. Hopefully he'll end with an average of over 30. But still, whenever Pakistan play on spin-friendly wickets, he's a must. And he should be playing every ODI.
He's effectively a Surrey lad now, and it'd be a shame to change that.
Including on non spinning wickets?