• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs Rashid Kahn

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still think it's Shakib Al Hasan. Shakib early on in his career has single-handedly carried his team...many defeats along the way, but there were some special wins.

Kraken

International 12th Man
Shakib for mine, not by much though. Still think Rashid bowls far too quickly for the longer format

cnerd123

likes this
Which player do you feel is the greater asset?
ATM Rashid Khan is clearly more valuable to Afghanistan than Shakib is to BD

Not to mention Shakib is banned right now, but it looks like he'll barely miss any cricket due to this anyways

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
Rashid Khan is ****e so I’m going to go with Shakib al Hasan. Not very useful when banned though, so I’ll have to go back to the ****ing **** Rashid Khan as he is available to play. It’s a difficult one, on one hand you have a player who’s rubbish and on the other you have a disgusting gambler. Interesting discussion.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually an interesting question. On the topic of who's the better international cricketer it's Shakib by a fair way by virtue of having a far larger body of work. But Afghanistan without Rashid would be more adversely affected than Bangladesh without Shakib imo

Writing off Rashid as a FC cricketer solely based off that India test is jumping the gun somewhat

TheJediBrah

tbf I'd probably take Rashid Khan in a T20. Even his batting has been exceptional in the Big Bash lately

SillyCowCorner1

Captaincy at a young age...both had to do it. I believe Shakib was 22 when he took over Bangladesh...and Rashid was still in his never-ending teenage years when he took the reigns over from Afghan.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
tbf I'd probably take Rashid Khan in a T20. Even his batting has been exceptional in the Big Bash lately
You can say that again. Doesn't always come off but when he does the runs come at a very good clip, always an entertaining sight.

Definitely fair to say Rashid has become somewhat of a fan favourite here in Adelaide

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shakib has earned the right to be in the mix with the ATG all-rounders of cricket. So Shakib easily for me. As great as Rashid has been, a long way to go for him to be anywhere near Shakib's level.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Shakib for mine, not by much though. Still think Rashid bowls far too quickly for the longer format
Interestingly I don't think Rashid's action would work without his pace. Since he holds the ball with the top of his fingers & doesn't really use his wrist to spin the ball, I imagine the thrust he gets from his action helps him spin the ball immensely.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently Rashid started out as an opening batsman and then went on to focus solely on his bowling, as of late it seems he's been working on his batting once again.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Interestingly I don't think Rashid's action would work without his pace. Since he holds the ball with the top of his fingers & doesn't really use his wrist to spin the ball, I imagine the thrust he gets from his action helps him spin the ball immensely.

His bowling is very much built for T20 and ODIs in that its difficult to line him up and hit coz of his variations but if you decide to play defensive, his variations are not that huge that it can defeat ur last minute defence. His variations are so subtle that it really only matters when you have pre-decided he has to be tonked. Also, he struggles against lefties even in the LO formats. He is a like budget Kumble IMO.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
His bowling is very much built for T20 and ODIs in that its difficult to line him up and hit coz of his variations but if you decide to play defensive, his variations are not that huge that it can defeat ur last minute defence. His variations are so subtle that it really only matters when you have pre-decided he has to be tonked. Also, he struggles against lefties even in the LO formats. He is a like budget Kumble IMO.
This is true of many spinners in our day & age, particularly because they can look like a million dollars when bowling in T20 for the reasons you mentioned, and look rather toothless in Tests comparatively. Rashid is arguably the finest bowler of the googly in the world at the moment, & I'm sure he has more tricks up his sleeve than that, hopefully over the next few years he will continue to evolve his game in both the white & red ball formats.