• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Safest Records

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Robertinho said:
Yeah I'm sure many people have got close
Actually, I think Slater and Bannerman are the only 2 to have scored more than two thirds of the team total. The closest after Slater is Laxman (167 out of 261).

Of course there have been some more dominating performances in FC cricket...one that comes to mind is Hazare's 309 out of a team score of 387.

Dasa

irfan said:
Didnt Hayden get 4 in a row twice and woud have equalled Weekes if windies made more runs
Hayden scored 4 centuries in consecutive Tests, not consecutive innings.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Gavaskar's 36 off an over :p
You could have added a couple of words and it would have been true.
Gavaskar's unbeaten 36 off 60 overs !!!!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
  1. Lakers 19 wickets in a test match
  2. Bradman's average of 99.9 after 50 plus tests
  3. Bradman's 29 hundreds in 52 tests including twelve scores above two hundred
  4. Hobbs's 100 FC centuries after his 40th birthday
  5. England's 30 players played in one series - 1921 5 tests against Australia
  6. Bradmans 22,33,48,56 and 68 innings to reach 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 and 6000 test runs (innings mind you not matches)
  7. Bradman's 974 in one series (7 innings)
  8. Hobbs age of 46 yrs and 82 days when scoring a test hundred in 1929
  9. Bradman's triple century in a day in a test match
  10. Kapils 100 test wickets in 1 year and 105 days (we are not likely to play so much test cricket again)
  11. Lohmann's average of 5.88 per wicket for the 35 wickets he took against S Africa in 1895-96
  12. Barnes' 49 wickets in four tests in one series - SAF 1913-14
  13. Barnes' 7 runs a wicket over a prolonged career (189 in 27)
  14. Barnes 83 wickets in 7 tests in a triangular test championship between Australia England and SAfrica
  15. Johnny Briggs 15 wickets in a test in one day !!
  16. Woolley's age of 47 yrs and 87 days when keeping in a test (and maybe also his record of 37 byes conceded)
  17. Solkar's average of 1.96 catches per test for a non - keeper (minimum 50 catches)
  18. Southerton's record age at debut - he was in his 50th year
  19. Rhodes' age of 52 plus in his last test
  20. Grace's 50 plus age as captain of a test side
  21. Billy Midwinters record of playing tests for one country, then another and then again for the first !

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SJS said:
Bradman's triple century in a day in a test match
That's the only record I disagree with, I can see that being broken by some Afridi-like nutter in the future

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Personally I think one that'll stand for a long time is Wasim Akram's 12 sixes in a Test innings. It takes a ridiculously aggressive outlook to hit 12 big ones in an innings, and even when you consider the kind of batsmen around in today's game (Gilly, Freddie, Afridi, KP, Razzaq, Symonds, Kemp) and the fact that none of them have got close so far.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
andyc said:
That's the only record I disagree with, I can see that being broken by some Afridi-like nutter in the future
Gibbs made 228 in a day against Pakistan a few years ago - and got out 12 overs before the close of play.

Dasa

Barney Rubble said:
Personally I think one that'll stand for a long time is Wasim Akram's 12 sixes in a Test innings. It takes a ridiculously aggressive outlook to hit 12 big ones in an innings, and even when you consider the kind of batsmen around in today's game (Gilly, Freddie, Afridi, KP, Razzaq, Symonds, Kemp) and the fact that none of them have got close so far.
That's one that has a chance to be broken against a minnow team I think. Hayden got 11 in his 380 I think.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
  1. Kapils 100 test wickets in 1 year and 105 days (we are not likely to play so much test cricket again)
Well, Warne is on 80 something in under a year, and I think he'll definitely break that.

Btw Andy, 300 runs in one day? Scoring 300 at a normal pace requires enough concentration and patience, let alone in a day! It'll stand for a long time IMO.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
I doubt it with the number of overs bowled today. They bowled 110 120 in those days.

Yes, maybe if Bangladesh/Zimbabwe keep playing Sehwag (more likely) or Hayden or Gilchrist might do it but doubtful. It needs to start and end in the same day mind you. Hammond scored a triple century much faster than Bradman (288 minutes in NZLand 1933) but it covered two days.

But you are right, it can happen. Astle 222 in 168 deliveries (and against England - and in a match in whicj Thorpe had already scored a 231 ball double century) has made that very clear. And he did it in less than four hours of batting !!! (231 minutes) :p

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Robertinho said:
Well, Warne is on 80 something in under a year, and I think he'll definitely break that.

Btw Andy, 300 runs in one day? Scoring 300 at a normal pace requires enough concentration and patience, let alone in a day! It'll stand for a long time IMO.
Oh I should ammend that. It is his FIRST 100 wickets in tests !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Astle hit 11 in his 168 ball 222. With another 28 fours besides that makes 178 runs out of 222 in 4's and 6's !!!!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Akram's 257 - for someone batting at number 8 in a test match- is unlikely to be broken.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
To a lesser extent, Ian Smith's 173 batting at number nine.

Also Brian Lara's feat of twice breaking the highest test innings record is unlikely to be repeated. (the only person who has any chance is Hayden since he has done it once and needs only one innings of 401 !! :p

After him - highly unlikely. Cant think of someone scoring 400 plus twice in a test match

:-O

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
I doubt that Akram's 12 sixes will last long. In fact with someone like Symonds or Dhoni in good form against a minnow, it could easily be broken in the next few years.

But here is a Pakistani record that I don't expect will be broken for a very long time: Inzamam and Mushtaq Ahmed put on 57 for the last wicket to win against Australia in 94: the largest 10th wicket stand to win a game.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Brett Lee and Michael Kasprowicz almost beat that a few months ago, so it could be done in the near future.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adamc said:
Brett Lee and Michael Kasprowicz almost beat that a few months ago, so it could be done in the near future.
Yeah, especially with the batting quality of today's tailenders.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
andyc said:
I doubt it. If anyone was going to do it, it would've been Sehwag. Afridi and anyone like him can't last that long.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here are some more
  1. Lohmann's career average of 10.7 for 112 wickets
  2. Lohmann's career strike rate of 34.12
  3. Nadkarni's proportion of career maidens (665 from 1503 over bowled) !
  4. FC bowling analysis to beat Hedley Verity's 10 for 10 in 19.4 overs in 1932
  5. Freeman's 304 wickets in one FC season 1928
  6. Freeman's 200 wkts or more in a season for 8 consecutive years
  7. Freeman's 331 runs conced in \a single innings in a FC match - 1934
  8. Sonny Ramadhins 774 balls bowled in a test match (588 in an innings) England 1957
  9. Rhodes record of 100 wickets in a season on 23 different years between 1898 and 1929 !!
  10. Most balls bowled in a season _ Freeman 12,234 - 1933
  11. 200 wickets in an English summer by 27th July
  12. The only instance of a bail flying to the boundary after the batsman was bowled - Robert Burrows (Worcestershire) bowled by Huddleston(Lancashire) 1911. Total distance the bail flew 67 yards, 6 inches
  13. Two players from the same team (Rhodes and Hirst of Yorkshire) doing the double of 100 wkts and 1000 runs on a combined total of 30 different years !!!
  14. The double of 200 wkts and 2000 runs in a single English season - Hirst 1906 (2385 runs and 208 wkts in 35 matches)
  15. Hobb's 197 first class centuries
  16. Highest number of runs scored of a single hit - ten scored by Hornby at the Oval 1873 and equalled by Samuel Wood at Lords May 1900 - both first class matches
  17. Lord Harris at 60 years and 151 days the oldest man to play first class cricket in 1911

Last edited: