• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar vs Malcolm Marshall

Who is the greater test cricketer?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Perhaps you can also call Sachin ATG in SA. But if Sachin is an ATG in NZ and Eng, then Marshall is one in Australia. By an ATG in a country, I mean one of the best performers there ever. Marshall is that at home, in Eng and Asia. Sachin in Australia, perhaps SA.
I think I care more about the overall picture of record across all countries, including ATG and general worldclass performance, and Tendulkar simply has a wider palette, against generally tougher opposition and over a longer period.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
I think we have come to agreement somewhat.
Yep it’s Marshall’s somewhat more concentrated greatness(high level of greatness across diverse but less diverse than Tendulkar’s opposition) and better peak vs Tendulkar’s longevity as well performance vs an incredibly wide array of opponents

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
So for me, 2007 is tough to categorise as an out and out ATG series, cause of the flatter tracks and lack of an ATG bowler in the Aus side

subshakerz

International Coach
So for me, 2007 is tough to categorise as an out and out ATG series, cause of the flatter tracks and lack of an ATG bowler in the Aus side
Brett Lee wasn't an ATG but that was during his brief worldclass phase. Clark was also a class bowler.

I consider this and his 97-98 series against Aus at home and 2010 SA series to all be great series.

So while it is true he doesn't have many high yield series, these still can enter the conversation.

Slifer

International Captain
While some have argued that Marshall faced generally less great/trying batting than Sachin did in bowling, I think we can all agree that he never bowled to any batting who was equivalent to the Bangladesh and Zimbabwes that Sachin feasted on.

subshakerz

International Coach
While some have argued that Marshall faced generally less great/trying batting than Sachin did in bowling, I think we can all agree that he never bowled to any batting who was equivalent to the Bangladesh and Zimbabwes that Sachin feasted on.
And? We all consider his Zimbabwe and Bangladesh records irrelevant.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great tours agreed, but ATG to me is like Marshall in Ind 1983
Then even Marshall’s tour of Pak in 86 is ATG.
What's your justification for considering these performances ATG but not something like Tendulkar in Australia in 07/08 or his early tours to England? You cited flat pitches, but those two Marshall series (especially 86 in Pakistan) had several bowlers from both teams doing as well as him or better.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He played 8% of all his matches against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe combined.....
Yes, he didn't really get to bash on them that much. It's a minuscule proportion of his career.

Also, the late 90s/early 2000s Zimbabwe team is often wrongly classified as a minnow. There was a short window where they were competitive and won a few tests. They literally won 2 of the 9 tests Tendulkar played against them. Apart from that tiny window, it's fair to call them a minnow.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Yes, he didn't really get to bash on them that much. It's a minuscule proportion of his career.

Also, the late 90s/early 2000s Zimbabwe team is often wrongly classified as a minnow. There was a short window where they were competitive and won a few tests. They literally won 2 of the 9 tests Tendulkar played against them. Apart from that tiny window, it's fair to call them a minnow.
I mean, they won a Test series in Pakistan right after winning a one match series against India for what it counts.....

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
What's your justification for considering these performances ATG but not something like Tendulkar in Australia in 07/08 or his early tours to England? You cited flat pitches, but those two Marshall series (especially 86 in Pakistan) had several bowlers from both teams doing as well as him or better.
Nah I said if Tendulkar in 2007 in Aus is ATG, then Marshall in 1986 Pak is ATG. Early tours to England, I believe they were a very weak especially during his big series in 97. A very good/great series for sure.