• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar, the passage of time, where are my tablets.

cnerd123

likes this
Really? Guy is a personality vacuum ffs. Never heard him say anything even remotely off the beaten path. Great batsman though.
The fact that someone of his stature can remain more or less controversy free for such a long and distinguish career, and has not attempted to hog the limelight by attempting to launch a new career in media/politics after it, speaks volumes already IMO. Personality vacuum he may be, but that's far better than what we're used to.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly, devotes all his media appearances fo UNICEF ffs. He’s no Dravid and he’s no saint, but you’ve gotta be pretty happy that the greatest cricketing icon of our lives is also great human.

ma1978

International 12th Man
The thing that makes Tendulkar for me is the longevity. He bridged the Viv Richards / Imran Khan era with the Kohli / Smith era, and that's amazing to me. For someone my age (41), you can tie life milestones with Tendulkar moments. He started his career when I was a ten year old and we had just moved to India finished right after my first kid was born. I think that's why he means so much to Indians of a certain age.

Also the consistency of excellence. It was only the last 18 months of his career when he wasn't excellent. Many brilliant athletes burn out when their period of brilliance comes to an end. Tendulkar had 10 years after his elbow injuries where he reinvented himself as a a fine cricketer, and willed his way to being the best in the world again in 2010.

Also, he was the first Indian match winner in sport and one of the first Indians to be the best in the world at something (I realize this is grossly unfair to the great field hockey teams). I realize Gavaskar was outstanding, but he was a batsman of the era where a draw was a great result for India. Tendulkar won matches. I think he was a big part of India's growing confidence as a nation.