• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar, the passage of time, where are my tablets.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently 47 today. Jeepers, where have the years gone since I saw the just turned 17 year old boy at Old Trafford? Where are my mogadons?

Anyway, Happy Birthday to the third greatest batsman I've ever seen.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That Sharjah ton was one of the greatest things I've watched (do not @ me, Burgey)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
oh so you're only a bit older than Sachin really. You were talking as if he was young enough to be your son, calling him 'boy' and stuff

you're still in your prime mate

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's the phases of evolution. You start watching cricket as a kid. Then suddenly someone is in the team who's younger than you are. Then the captain is younger. Then the whole team is younger. Then you're old enough to be their father. Then you die.

But anyway, Sachin was only just turned 17 and looked about 12.

mr_mister

I just turned 29 so basically the age of all the big stars right now (KW, Root, Smith and Kohli are around here) so yeah I kinda get what you mean but it seems i'm right on the threshold. in a few years when Labuschagne is captain or something i'll start to feel old i'm sure

trundler

It's crazy to think that Sachin made it to Bradman's all time XI and was also the best batsman in the world when I started watching cricket around 2010. Around 2001-ish guys like Benaud already thought he was one of the top handful they'd seen and then he had a second peak after that.

mr_mister

Murali was named by Wisden to be the best bowler ever in 2002 too

Warne had an insane reputation already by like 1999(especially after the WC) and was probably considered the GOAT leggie by many and he went on to play all the way to 2006

Some cricketers really make a huge name for themselves early on and I guess people maybe could safely predict/map that they weren't gonna deteriorate too much in the back half of their career and a lot were proven right

It wouldn't have been unreasonable to suggest Bradman was going to be the best batsman ever til that point as early as 1931 I reckon. And then by 1938 you could have definitely made a reasonable claim he was going to be the best of all time

and that's why I already think it's fair to make bold claims about Smith and Kohli. They'd have to really go to **** to not end up the number 2 test bat ever and number 1 ODI bat ever

Last edited:

trundler

Tendulkar already had been going for over a decade and was the best batsman in a bowling dominated era. Smith has a decent claim but he's been at it for less long. Certainly in the same ballpark as guys like Sobers but he hasn't been that far ahead of those guys at their best. Like other guys have scored 700 in 4 tests and Hammond and Sobers weren't far slower in getting to the 7k mark.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its a really sad thing for Smith and Warner especially as they already lost an year in their prime and now it looks like they are losing another few months. Its very unfortunate, but then again, given modern fitness and this forced break, maybe they can all play till they are 40.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Tendulkar had left deep footprints on the cricketing conscience of uncountable number of fans during his playing days. A much delayed retirement and the quest for those milestones had irreversibly dented the fanboyism as far as I am concerned, but such an amazing player.

Happy birthday Sachin !

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He has also been an excellent role model in an era and age (his age, I mean) when it would have been very easy to go down another path. I think I am a bigger fan of the person than the player as far as Sachin goes. Happy Birthday, Sachin!!!

mr_mister

Tendulkar already had been going for over a decade and was the best batsman in a bowling dominated era. Smith has a decent claim but he's been at it for less long. Certainly in the same ballpark as guys like Sobers but he hasn't been that far ahead of those guys at their best. Like other guys have scored 700 in 4 tests and Hammond and Sobers weren't far slower in getting to the 7k mark.
it seems really doable though that Smith could end up with Pollock/Headley average but with a Hammond length career (in terms of tests)

or even a Hammond average but a Ponting length career(if he keeps playing til his late 30s) would be enough to make him number 2 in the eyes of many and it also seems doable

Arachnodouche

International Captain
He has also been an excellent role model in an era and age (his age, I mean) when it would have been very easy to go down another path. I think I am a bigger fan of the person than the player as far as Sachin goes. Happy Birthday, Sachin!!!
Really? Guy is a personality vacuum ffs. Never heard him say anything even remotely off the beaten path. Great batsman though.