• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA t20 tournament

Stefan9

International Debutant
Sisanda Magala. I feel he was the one who profited from the auction’s mind games this time around. Lizaad Williams is going to earn only a fraction of what Magala will for instance and Williams is arguably the better option

So many surprising unsold players, this league could have benefitted from an extra team or two to have them in if they don’t get picked up soon
Not in t20. Magala is a much better hitter then lizaad who is a 10 at best.

Pretty sure they will add teams going forward if the league is successful.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
Not in t20. Magala is a much better hitter then lizaad who is a 10 at best.

Pretty sure they will add teams going forward if the league is successful.
I agree that there is no contest with the bat but I prefer Williams with the ball, he edges ahead slightly with the ball at the least. Not sure if that batting ability is worth paying all that extra money for even if some of the skills he has are valuable in T20 cricket

Stefan9

International Debutant
Bavuma and andile remain unsold. A bit embarrassing for csa selectors. Likely to do with the base price they set.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
if a washed up Eoin can be sold for 2 mill rand surely Bavuma is worth whatever base price he is? man was the leading run scorer in Ram Slam just a year or two ago wasn’t he

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harsh on Bavuma though it's pretty funny but Phelukwayo rivals Stoinis as the most pointless cricketer in the world.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Bavuma not being sold is not sensible, don’t understand that. Andile over priced most definitely.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he's a very good accumulator. These auctions make no sense sometimes and you see nobodies like Sams cause bidding frenzies then a guy like Stirling or Root goes unsold.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Yeah he's a very good accumulator. These auctions make no sense sometimes and you see nobodies like Sams cause bidding frenzies then a guy like Stirling or Root goes unsold.
I guess there is the problem, hardly any accumulator style batsmen were picked.

Final squads:

Durban Super Giants: Quinton de Kock, Prenelan Subrayen, Jason Holder, Kyle Mayers, Reece Topley, Dwaine Pretorius, Heinrich Klaasen, Keemo Paul, Keshav Maharaj, Kyle Abbott, Junior Dala, Dilshan Madushanka, Johnson Charles, Matthew Breetzke, Christiaan Jonker, Wiaan Mulder, Simon Harmer.

Joburg Super Kings: Faf du Plessis, Gerald Coetzee, Maheesh Theekshana, Romario Shepherd, Harry Brook, Janneman Malan, Reeza Hendricks, Kyle Verreynne, George Garton, Alzarri Joseph, Leus du Plooy, Lewis Gregory, Lizaad Williams, Donavon Ferreira, Nandre Burger, Malusi Siboto, Caleb Seleka.

MI Cape Town: Kagiso Rabada, Dewald Brevis, Rashid Khan, Liam Livingstone, Sam Curran, Rassie van der Dussen, Ryan Rickelton, George Linde, Beuran Hendricks, Duan Jansen, Delano Potgieter, Grant Roelofsen, Wesley Marshall, Olly Stone, Waqar Salamkheil, Zuyaad Abharams, Odean Smith.

Paarl Royals: David Miller, Corbin Bosch, Jos Buttler, Obed McCoy, Lungi Ngidi, Tabraiz Shamsi, Jason Roy, Dane Vilas, Bjorn Fortuin, Wihan Lubbe, Ferisco Adams, Imraan Manack, Evan Jones, Ramon Simmonds, Mitchell van Buuren, Eoin Morgan, Codi Yusuf.

Pretoria Capitals: Anrich Nortje, Miguel Pretorius, Rilee Rossouw, Phil Salt, Wayne Parnell, Josh Little, Shaun von Berg, Cameron Delport, Will Jacks, Theunis de Bruyn, Marco Marais, Will Jacks, Jimmy Neesham, Kusal Mendis, Daryn Dupavillon, Shane Dadswell, Eathan Bosch.

Sunrisers Eastern Cape: Aiden Markram, Ottniel Baartman, Marco Jansen, Tristan Stubbs, Sisanda Magala, Junaid Dawood, Mason Crane, Jon-Jon Smuts, Jordan Cox, Adam Rossington, Roelof van der Merwe, Marques Ackerman, James Fuller, Tom Abell, Aya Gqamane, Sarel Erwee, Brydon Carse.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Bavuma not being sold is not sensible, don’t understand that. Andile over priced most definitely.
Only two guys who were sold have lower T20 SRs than Bavuma. Not that surprising that he wasn't picked, should have had a lower reserve price in my opinion.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Only two guys who were sold have lower T20 SRs than Bavuma. Not that surprising that he wasn't picked, should have had a lower reserve price in my opinion.
There was a lot of international guys they have picked because those guys are T20 int jobbers that play lots T20 around the world, because they have the time and are not selected for country. I rate many of them lower than Bavuma as somebody who can give clear international experience and understanding of local conditions, while still providing solid batting contributions. I think similar of Elgar not being sold.

Watching the thing did feel like I was watching a classics example of glitz and glamour over substance... combined with an underlying SA cricket elitism that doggs SA cricket.

Heboric

International Debutant
Thinking back to PT / PE class at school being last picked :mad: for teams (not always though :laugh: )

Stefan9

International Debutant
Both those guys were priced at R175k not R875k. I really don't get why temba had the idea he should stay in the highest SA bracket.

Marius

International Debutant
There was a lot of international guys they have picked because those guys are T20 int jobbers that play lots T20 around the world, because they have the time and are not selected for country. I rate many of them lower than Bavuma as somebody who can give clear international experience and understanding of local conditions, while still providing solid batting contributions. I think similar of Elgar not being sold.

Watching the thing did feel like I was watching a classics example of glitz and glamour over substance... combined with an underlying SA cricket elitism that doggs SA cricket.
Elgar has a T20 SR rate of 110. You could make an argument that TB should have been picked but Elgar was never going to get picked by any of the sides. And if you want okes who know local conditions all the teams have either SA coaches, SA players, or Saffas in senior assistant coaching or advisory roles. I'm not sure what insight TB can give that they wouldn't find elsewhere.

Also, how was the auction elitist?

Marius

International Debutant
Both those guys were priced at R175k not R875k. I really don't get why temba had the idea he should stay in the highest SA bracket.
Seen different claims on Twitter that SA centrally contracted players couldn't change their reserve price, so not sure. If AP and TB had had lower reserve prices I think they both would have been bought.

Bahseph

State Captain
Yeah I'm looking forward to some elaboration on the elitist comment. I feel for Temba and Andile,but with all the foreign interest,I'm sure a big part is that they just aren't rated by the big wigs of the teams.