• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rohit Sharma and Suresh Raina - test class ?

adharcric

International Coach
Rohit is more likely to be test class than Raina imo.

I think Subramaniam Badrinath should be in the India test team instead of Yuvraj for the immediate future but Ajinkya Rahane, Cheteshwar Pujara and Rohit Sharma are the long-term replacements for Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman IMO.

I don't see Rohit as a test opener, even in the mould of Sehwag since Sehwag is a bit of a freak as a middle order player who can pwn opening batsmen with the new ball as easy as he did bowlers with an older ball.

Suresh Raina would, more than others, benefit from a county stint. He has some real issues which will hinder his success at test level. No doubt he can destroy attacks when the boundary is in but he has to learn how to play 4-day games outside of India where he will get short balls and the ball will swing.

He could, long-term, be the No.6. A blaster who also chips in with some useful spin but I don't see him any higher than that IAH plus Ravinder Jadeja, Kedar Jadhav, Sunny Sohal, Virat Kohli, Ameya Shrikhande and Manish Pandey will feel they can make the No.6 spot their own too in the future though some of those are too early into their FC career to even think about being an India test player..

As it stands, I see the XI as:

Gautam
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Badrinath
Laxman
Dhoni

for now and long-term (ca 2012 onwards, no earlier and based on adapting to non-Indian conditions):

Mukund
Srivastava
Rahane
Pujara
Rohit
Raina (if he works on his short ball batting)
Karthik
Mostly agree but Murali Vijay should be ahead of Mukund and Srivastava in the pecking order.