• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richards, Smith, Lara, Hammond

Who's No. 5

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Who's the best of the 2nd tier of batsmen
3rd tier. Bradman's is in a tier of himself. Also, they can be the 5th Best only if we restrict the judgement strictly to Test cricket and not all FC games, or else Grace comes into the Top 5 (if not 2)....

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
3rd tier. Bradman's is in a tier of himself. Also, they can be the 5th Best only if we restrict the judgement strictly to Test cricket and not all FC games, or else Grace comes into the Top 5 (if not 2)....
Yes , it's Test cricket

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously @Prince EWS? I thought I’d be the only Hammond vote, probably the most niche option here.

I kind hope some won’t vote for Viv cos they think he’s even higher so he’ll lose the poll :p

In terms of personal ranking, I’d probably have it Hammond/Smith/Lara (very small gaps) then Richards below them. I do agree though that these three have a small but definite seperation of themselves from the next group (which for me is the other openers and Chappell)

Then Viv is for me in a tier with Kallis/Sanga/Kenny/Ricky. Then I move on into the Headley/Pollock/Border/Waugh tier.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously @Prince EWS? I thought I’d be the only Hammond vote, probably the most niche option here.

I kind hope some won’t vote for Viv cos they think he’s even higher so he’ll lose the poll :p

In terms of personal ranking, I’d probably have it Hammond/Smith/Lara (very small gaps) then Richards below them. I do agree though that these three have a small but definite seperation of themselves from the next group (which for me is the other openers and Chappell)

Then Viv is for me in a tier with Kallis/Sanga/Kenny/Ricky. Then I move on into the Headley/Pollock/Border/Waugh tier.
He was included literally just for you and @Prince EWS

The Viv disrespect with you two continues to be real though ....

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I go Viv because of who he did it against, Lara is only slightly behind him from that regard and remains the best batsman I've ever seen. Smith's record is better than the others, but he didn't quite face the level of bowlers. Hammond for me is well behind them all, was suspect vs pace and in the tier below.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
I go Viv because of who he did it against, Lara is only slightly behind him from that regard and remains the best batsman I've ever seen. Smith's record is better than the others, but he didn't quite face the level of bowlers. Hammond for me is well behind them all, was suspect vs pace and in the tier below.
Agreed.

BazBall21

International Regular
Still think Richards is the best. Any of the other three can be 2nd. Smith can definitely finish as the best. He would need to have a bad decline to finish below 2nd in the 10k club rankings.

Slifer

International Captain
It's also who it was against. Who did Hammond score against? He was suspect and down right uncomfortable vs pace
Tbf BCL was pretty uncomfortable vs pace as well...but Lara did make runs vs the goat (worst 2nd greatest) pace bowler ie McGrath.

Tbf BCL was pretty uncomfortable vs pace as well...but Lara did make runs vs the goat (worst 2nd greatest) pace bowler ie McGrath.
Medium pace didn’t make Hammond struggle really. McGrath’s speed would definitely not be a problem to Hammond. As far as I know, Hammond did pretty well against Larwood. Though, he did have weaknesses against express pace especially considering top tier batsman.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Richards the best. First tier is only Bradman I presume? Would rank Tendulkar and Hobbs above all of these. And Sobers only below Richards amongst those mentioned.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Richards is in the 2nd tier after Bradman. So too are Lara and Smith. That makes Hammond the answer to this thread. I am voting here the batsman who I think is the worst of the options.