• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richard Sherlock

Craig

World Traveller
1/Re looking towards WC 2007, would you took to end Cairns career as he wont be around for 2007 (everybody knows that) as my feeling as he is playing until to England next year. His career started in England, so why not finsh there?

2/Also with Sherlock, what is his action like, does he get swing, a good seam position, accuracy, a good attitude, as really pace is nothing without these qualities.

3/I will say this again, my feeling is that McCullum is next line for the Test XI, and Robbie Hart is doing a good enough job for me.

4/Is Craig Cumming good enough for NZ?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Tamara told me that Sherlock has an extremely smooth action & is able to generate alot of pace as a result of that action.

Craig Cumming is definately a chance for the NZ team. Unlike most NZ batsmen, he uses the full face of the bat & makes sure the bad balls are put away..i'd definately rank him higher than Richard Jones.

NZ can't drop Hart at the moment, I think if he continues to do ok for NZ it'll be an age issue that costs him rather than anything else.

Craig

World Traveller
I looked up Craig Cumming's record, and I think it is 35 or 38, which is one of the highest FC averages by players in the NZ FC scene. He has a good record.

Michael Papps apprantly isnt bad either, but is like Richardson - slow and steady.

To have a bowling line-up with the resources of Vettori, Mason, Sherlock, Bond, Butler, Tuffey, Oram is pretty good and some people will be lucky to keep their places.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ Cricket have had their eye on Michael Papps for around 3 or 4 years now but unfortunately last season he started brilliantly but fell away badly after Butler got one to jag into his eye during an OD match.

Since then he's probably been overtaken by McIntosh, Cumming & Jones.

What Papps does have in his favour is that he can keep but thats something NZ aren't worrying about the moment with the likes of Nevin & Vincent who can easily take over stump duties.

I really think things are going to heat up this season, there is plenty to play for now & I think the standard is going to rise very quickly.

Craig

World Traveller
Certainly opening and in the number 3. I'm not to sure on the idea of Styris batting at 3.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with Styris is that when he looks as though he's done enough to be dropped he comes back with a century or a good bowling performance to keep his place for another few matches.

Although you can't really knock Styris's test record at this stage..after 7 tests he averages 42 with 2 centuries & 2 fifties.
In ODI's I think he's very vunerable for the first couple of overs he faces, but I think if he can somehow work around that then he'll do well.

At this stage I don't think Nevin & Harris will last till the Pakistan series in December, I think NZ are setting their sights on higher goals & they can't afford to have players constantly under-achieving in the team.

Craig

World Traveller
Well the selectors have made a predicent by dropping McMillan and left Harris out in the past.

Go back 3 years, and he was a vital cog in the side, even in the VB Series when NZ went to Aus. he was preforming, and now he is not.

He is 34, so once dropped, it is goodbye.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Harris used to play bloody well at 6, he played a similar role to Michael Bevan where if NZ were in trouble he'd guts it out with the tail & then score quickly at the end of the innings.

But for the last 2 years now he has been taking too long to rotate the strike, he clogs up about 40 balls & only scores around 15 runs & then throws his wicket away with some very poor shots. Not to mention that his bowling has gone west also.

I think Harris will make it to the Pakistan ODI's in a few weeks time, but if he doesn't play in those matches then no doubt that'll probably be the end of him.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Papps has had a poor start to the club season, but did score runs last week in a canterbury trial. He has gained the Canterbury Captaincy so I am hope that this will not effect his play.

He is not a Richardson like player. Ok he is not a Cairns either, but would score as quick as Fleming. Oh an by the way Papps is not keeping anymore I don't think. Will ask him this week but I haven't seen him keeping in matches or practise yet.

One player who has really impressed me in the last few weeks is Aaron Redmond. He is the most talented cricketer I have ever seen, came to my club this year so I train with him a bit, but it looks like he has finally got his drinking problem out of the way, and is scoreing runs, and taking very economical wickets. And this isn't just in club but in the warm up matches as well...(not a bad hair style either, just a red mowhawk.)

Cumming is a good player. But do we need another middle order batter??

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Cumming has been opening for Otago or batting at 3..so he's more top-order.

Yeah I think Redmond was one of the spinners NZ cricket targeted for the near future...if he keeps those kind of figures up in FC cricket then he'll definately be fast tracked into the NZ team because he can bowl leggies.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I just can't see Cumming getting a look in anytime soon. I think Ryder should get the nod ahead of him in the ODI team, and McIntosh in the Tests.. But then if any of them don't deliver early season then we could see him having a go.

Redmond is talent, he is a great player, but hasn't delivered in first class cricket in recent years. He has shown glimpses but not much more. I really hope to see him playing for the Black Caps soon.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I am someone that doesn't rate Nicol that highly. Don't know why, but him and Richard Jones don't seem to be my most highly rated players.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Well hopefully he continues to improve and get better cause we need that kind of ability in the future

So far Bond is still a great opening bowler and Tuffey is maturing really well.. he has shown capability of bowling on sub continent pitches , with his exploits in India.. And Butler could easily play the 3rd seamers role if we want when we tour Australia ..
But I reckon Cullum + Vincent should get the royal boot for ODI they really havent done anything to help their cause..
And Nevin has disappointed me a lot aswell..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
oh come on Tamara, how can you not at least give some hope to Nicol who has scored 3 centuries & 7 fifties in 20 FC matches at an average of 46.

There are very few players in NZ who can boast an average like that.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I know his stats are great etc, but I don't know why he isn't at the top of my list. I think they are quiet achivers and I don't have a lot to do with the Wellington or Auckland teams so they seem to be forgot from my view a little.. I am not saying they shouldn't be selected just saying I always seem to forget them, or under-rate them.

Lets hope the selectors are not like me aye.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think anyone should rate a player until they've at least seen them in action...i've seen Nicol play down at Colin Maiden Park & he's got a very good technique for the longer version of the game.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Yes that is quite true. Papps has a very good technique. Uses the whole face of the bat every shot and it looks bloody good to watch.