• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reward For Test Champions

chalky

International Debutant
Cricket wise it looks like the Super Series is going to be a failure (no fault of Aussies) I do however like the idea of rewarding the test champions. I was thinking every 5 years you take the top 4 test teams 1st V 4th, 2nd v 3rd and winners play each other in the final. !st place gets the 1 million. The top team gets the advantage, and honiour, of the series being in their home country. If the semifinals were drawn the higher ranked team would qualify. The final would be played as timeless test.

Any thoughts -improvemnts :D

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Do it like the Super League.

5th vs 4th (at 4th)
Winner vs 3rd (at 3rd)
Winner vs 2nd (at 2nd)
Winner vs 1st (at 1st)

:)

greg

International Debutant
chalky said:
Cricket wise it looks like the Super Series is going to be a failure (no fault of Aussies) I do however like the idea of rewarding the test champions. I was thinking every 5 years you take the top 4 test teams 1st V 4th, 2nd v 3rd and winners play each other in the final. !st place gets the 1 million. The top team gets the advantage, and honiour, of the series being in their home country. If the semifinals were drawn the higher ranked team would qualify. The final would be played as timeless test.

Any thoughts -improvemnts :D
The problem is that for the whole thing to worthwhile it would take too much time - as we saw with the Ashes (and arguably saw in this superseries) players need time to acclimatise in foreign countries. And even if that problem was sorted, as nobody would accept the idea of the world's best side (by the rankings based over a long period) being dethroned on the basis of one match, where toss, weather etc could be crucial it rather loses its point.

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
i concur! (sp?)

what an idea!

its like a mini-worldcup, but its test matches.

i swear, i was thinking about it, after reading something about a previous RoW series, where england also competed? Meh i dunno.

nevertheless its the best idea since....

open365

International Vice-Captain
an tournament like that would have to take up a part of the international calendar and with the icc regulations i don't see where they could fit it in.

still,its a lot better than the super series idea.

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
it wouldnt take that long :/

besides, you'd make sure everythings organised *well in advance* (not the team selection though; thatd be 'last minute')

chalky

International Debutant
greg said:
The problem is that for the whole thing to worthwhile it would take too much time - as we saw with the Ashes (and arguably saw in this superseries) players need time to acclimatise in foreign countries. And even if that problem was sorted, as nobody would accept the idea of the world's best side (by the rankings based over a long period) being dethroned on the basis of one match, where toss, weather etc could be crucial it rather loses its point.
This would have no bearing on test championship or rankings (like the superseries). I would see it more as an FA cup were the test rankings are the Premieship. Kenya made the semi final of the last one day world cup, no one considers them one of the top 4 teams in the world, yet that tournament still has credibility.

You will always have the chance of anomalies in any cricket match/series (inspirerd play from an individual player, crucial toss, dodgy umpiring decisions etc) yet that still doesn't detract from the event itself. If you look at the 1996 world cup were a brilliant hundred from Lara knocked out South Africa yet South Africa had been by far the best one day side for the previous 4 years.

chalky

International Debutant
open365 said:
an tournament like that would have to take up a part of the international calendar and with the icc regulations i don't see where they could fit it in.

still,its a lot better than the super series idea.
Could be done in 3 weeks (2 if you wanted back to back tests) 4 weeks would give the teams a chance of a warn up game. Also at least what ever teams made the final would have at least one full test under their belts to acclimatise (which is more than you get on most tours these days). The 2nd & 3rd teams would be under the same circumstances in the first match (coming in cold). The home team would have an advantage over the 4th team which thay have earned by finishing 1st in the test championship.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Let's use my idea for this post:

5th vs 4th (at 4th)
Winner vs 3rd (at 3rd)
Winner vs 2nd (at 2nd)
Winner vs 1st (at 1st)

And these ratings (made up)

1 Australia
2 England
3 South Africa
4 India
5 New Zealand

You could have (starting at 1 Jan for easy view)

Jan 1st - 5th India vs New Zealand at Mumbai (Say NZ win)
Jan 15th - 20th South Africa vs New Zealand at Cape Town (Say SA win)
Jan 29th - Feb 2nd England vs South Africa at Lords' (Say England win)
Feb 15th - 20th Australia vs England at SCG.

It's done in 1 and 2/3 months, and you could still have the other 5 countries playing matches.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Maison said:
i swear, i was thinking about it, after reading something about a previous RoW series, where england also competed?
In the early 1970s, where another tour got cancelled, so they organised a World XI team to tour, and they won 4-1, but the games were closer than the score suggested.