• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Retirements for Season 4

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
HOMESICK SAMARAWEERA TO QUIT

West Midlands Lightning all rounder Thilan Samaraweera today announced his retirement from World Club Cricket. A visably disappointed Samaraweera reportedly told team mates of his decision after the side exited this seasons Twenty20 Cup comeptition on Tuesday. He announced to a small media gathering at Lightning training this morning that being away from his native Sri Lanka for 11 months of the year was proving too much too handle. Despite being just 33 and assured of a place in the line up of all three forms of the game Samaraweera said there was nothing that could change his decision. He did have this to say; "I've enjoyed my time in the revamped WCC Competition, it's been tough moving to England but it was the deicision of the clubs involved and myself that it would be a good move." "Perhaps I feel the staff here have neglected my batting strength and have made me concentrate more on the bowling side of the game and it has impacted on my enjoyment, I hope to play out the season in the side and win some silverware."

Samarweera batting for Kandurata last season

Samaraweera was viewed as a key member of the batting line up in Kandurata's first season but it's little wonder hes been relegated to bowling mainly as he has generally failed to show his talents with the stick in hand, in 26 career first class matches he has scored just 1123 runs @ 28.79 without scoring a century. His eight fifties include a best of 96. He has been a lot more productive with ball in hand taking 64 wickets @ 25.38, one of the best averages going around. One day cricket has been mainly a disappointment for him though, 8 career matches have yielded him just 38 runs @ 19 and an even poorer 5 wickets @ 71.60. West Midlands officials would surely be considering his spot in the side now that he is retiring.

As part of World Club Cricket's promotion of youth cricket West Midlands will get a young rookie to add to their squad for season three, the first player they will be offered is 20 year old fast bowler C Biswas. Their manager now has the choice to either accept Biswas based on his stats below or they can pass on him and be offered a different player instead. If no decision is made in the next seven days then Biswas will join the West Midlands squad next season.

C Biswas - Fast Bowler (20 Years Old)
FC Matches: 15 Bat 24 OPM 23 Strike Rate 79 Eco 3.6
OD Matches: 15 Bat 18 OPM 5 Strike Rate 57 Eco 6.62

Simon

2nd player offered to West Midlands is

K Read - Wicketkeeper (18 Years Old)
FC Matches 10 Bat Average 30
OD Matches 10 Bat Average 25

Simon

Final player offered to West Midlands and will join the squad at the end of the season is
J Ferreira (Spin Bowler) 17 Years Old
FC Matches 5 Bat Av 39 OPM 1 Strike Rate 78 Eco 5.21
OD Matches 5 Bat Av 40 OPM 3 Strike Rate 38 Eco 4.42

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm it actually paid off a bit... Ferreira could be a candidate for next seasons academy

Simon

GAME IS UP FOR JONES

Auckland veteran Richard Jones today announced his retirement from World Club Cricket. The likeable batsman has decided at the age of 35 that he has other interests outside of cricket to persue while he is still young enough. Jones has been a vital team member for Auckland over the past three years, while maybe not neccesarily the first name on the team sheet he inspired the players around him to perhaps over achieve and see Auckland become one of the elite clubs of WCC. Jones had this to say this morning; "The club has copped a lot of critisisim over the years but we do our own thing, we are a bit isolated here in New zealand and we stick together and it's created a great atmosphere." "It will be sad to leave the team but it's time some of our talented youngsters got a chance to shine."

Despite boasting a very impressive career record in WCC Jones' oppourtunities have been limited, hes been restricted to just 9 first class appearances in which he has scored 869 runs @ 62.07. He has also featured in only 9 one day games where he has also impressed in scoring 384 runs @ 64. Perhaps the under use of Jones has prompted his retirement?

Richard Jones gets out hooking in a First Class match earlier this season

As part of World Club Cricket's promotion of youth cricket Auckland will get a young rookie to add to their squad for season three, the first player they will be offered is 18 year old batsman A Palmer. Their manager now has the choice to either accept Palmer based on his stats below or they can pass on him and be offered a different player instead. If no decision is made in the next seven days then Palmer will join the Auckland squad next season.

A Palmer - Spin Bowler (18 Years Old)
First Class Matches: 7 Bat 50 OPM 3 Strike Rate 79 Eco 4.24
One Day Matches: 7 Bat 41 OPM 1 Strike Rate 49 Eco 4.72

DCC_legend

International Regular
Sad to see him go. He's put in some nice performances during my reign. And I'll be taking Palmer! Looks decent enough.