• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the Test playing nations in order of historical greatness

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's a fine team Slifer. Let me add a few more players to turn into a full touring squad.

Clifford Roach, Learie Constantine, Collie Smith, Denis Atkinson, Courtney Walsh, George Francis, Alf Valentine

And I'll attempt to select an Aussie team minus players from their best three decades (from the 30's onwards, for the purposes of comparison to WI).

AUS w/o 90's, 00's, 40's

Simpson (60s)
Lawry (60s)
G Chappell (70s)
Border (80s)
Smith (2010s)
Benaud * (50s)
Marsh + (70s)
Lillee (70s)
O'Reilly (30s)
Thomson (70s)
Alderman (80s)

Subs: David Warner, Jack Fingleton, Ian Chappell, Dean Jones, Doug Walters, Bob Cowper, Mitchell Johnson, Graham McKenzie, Clarrie Grimmett

No Harvey, Bradman, Miller or Lindwall cause they played in the 1948 "Invincibles" team. I'm probably missing someone obvious here.
Davidson? Starc and Hazlewood might soon be up for consideration. Harris and Reid are both starters if fit (which is a big if for both of them). Trumper must be a shout for an opener. If we're ignoring the 40s but not the 30s then surely Stan McCabe must come in as a batsman.

Simpson
Trumper
McCabe
Chappell G
Border
Smith
Benaud *
Grout +
O'Reilly
Lillee
Davidson

12th Harris

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Davidson? Starc and Hazlewood might soon be up for consideration. Harris and Reid are both starters if fit (which is a big if for both of them). Trumper must be a shout for an opener. If we're ignoring the 40s but not the 30s then surely Stan McCabe must come in as a batsman.

Simpson
Trumper
McCabe
Chappell G
Border
Smith
Benaud *
Grout +
O'Reilly
Lillee
Davidson

12th Harris
Good call on McCabe, he along with Davidson are two blokes that I forgot who belong in the discussion without doubt.

Obviously Trumper is a force to be reckoned with but my team was from 1930 onwards.