• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid - Best ever Batsman from Subcontinent

Best ever

• Total voters

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
He beats Sachin in my books, but its tought to compete with Gavaskar

But I still feel is above them and other in Sub-Con

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wanted to vote 'I DON'T KNOW,' or possibly 'TOO EARLY TO TELL,' but they weren't there. Handy little player though.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Rajeev said:
He beats Sachin in my books, but its tought to compete with Gavaskar

But I still feel is above them and other in Sub-Con
Sub-Cont has also produced Javaid Miandad and Inzi.

I would agree with Andy that its too early too tell, if he can remain this consistent for the next 2-3 years then yes he might be.

FRAZ

International Captain
TBH right now he is i.e. Dravid. And he is all time best too .
And before him till the last year it was Inzamam and still Inzamam is better in the pressure cooker situations. There was a time when Tendular was THE best and before Tendulkar it was Javed Miandad and before Miandad it was Gavaskar and the time when Zaheer Abbas was playing then it was definately Zaheer who was the best in the Sub-continent and even better than Gavaskar at times.
I always think that the batting department of India has its ups and downs and Pakistan well and truely have had problems in the batting departments and if you will compare the two teams then the difference has always been bowling in which Pakistan was always better .
I mean the record b/w Pakistan and India i.e. almost 2:1 in favour of Pakistan .
check this over out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrWJ5WOwHmA&search=wasim akram

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
Sub-Cont has also produced Javaid Miandad and Inzi.

I would agree with Andy that its too early too tell, if he can remain this consistent for the next 2-3 years then yes he might be.
But they are Pakistani! Xuhaib.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid and Gavaskar the best of the bunch for mine. By a fair distance too, with all due respect to Tendulkar, Miandad and Inzy.

FRAZ

International Captain
Sub-Con
(all time greats of the recent era).
1. Dravid
2.Javed
3. Gavaskar/Inzamam
5. Tendulkar
6. Zaheer Abbas
7. Mahendra Singh Dhoni/Sehwag
9. Saeed Anwar
10. Yousaf Youhana
11. Sanath Jaysuriya
12. Arvinda De Silva
13. Vengsarkar
14. Sangakara
15. Ranatunga

andyc

FRAZ said:
Sub-Con
1. Dravid
2.Javed
3. Gavaskar/Inzamam
5. Tendulkar
6. Zaheer Abbas
9. Saeed Anwar
10. Yousaf Youhana
11. Sanath Jaysuriya
12. Arvinda De Silva
13. Vengsarkar
14. Sangakara
15. Ranatunga
He's played 13 tests, and averages in the low 30s.....

Xuhaib

International Coach
FRAZ said:
Sub-Con
1. Dravid
2.Javed
3. Gavaskar/Inzamam
5. Tendulkar
6. Zaheer Abbas
9. Saeed Anwar
10. Yousaf Youhana
11. Sanath Jaysuriya
12. Arvinda De Silva
13. Vengsarkar
14. Sangakara
15. Ranatunga
Lolz...Fraz you must be joking.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
FRAZ said:
Sub-Con
1. Dravid
2.Javed
3. Gavaskar/Inzamam
5. Tendulkar
6. Zaheer Abbas
9. Saeed Anwar
10. Yousaf Youhana
11. Sanath Jaysuriya
12. Arvinda De Silva
13. Vengsarkar
14. Sangakara
15. Ranatunga
tooo early to rate him, he hasn't even played much..

FRAZ

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
Lolz...Fraz you must be joking.
Nope I am serious . He is better than many others in that line up . I mean when he comes on to the crease then the panic in the other camp gives me an idea that he is something .

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
FRAZ said:
Nope I am serious . He is better than many others in that line up . I mean when he comes on to the crease then the panic in the other camp gives me an idea that he is something .
that doesn't mean that he is an all time great.. As andy said he has only played 13 tests.. so its just tooo early..

FRAZ

International Captain
I mean the list is of all time good batsmen .
The better batsmen right!!!
So I guess whatever Mahendra has done so far is enough for me to pick him up in my test side with that respective order that I mentioned above. He failed in a few tests too but it does not mean that he is not a good batsman . He has the fittest wrist in the world . He has the sharpest eye in the world and I know that he hasn't played much but he is good in my eyes.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Same could be said about Shahid Afridi but his no all-time great. How can Dhoni feature, when all he has accomplished/done in the test arena is bottle it when his team need him the most. Your list is beyond the realms of fantasy.

FRAZ

International Captain
My list is made up of what I see . And I see Dhoni being a better batsman than Saeed Anwar . And I guess Tendulkar's average is better than the others upstairs but still I have put him down because I know that the way Gavaskar played against Windies or the way Inzamam has saved Pakistan many times or the way Javed and Dravid had been reliable assets for their respective teams .
I guess records are just what they are . He has done enough to be considered in my list .

andyc

FRAZ said:
My list is made up of what I see . And I see Dhoni being a better batsman than Saeed Anwar . And I guess Tendulkar's average is better than the others upstairs but still I have put him down because I know that the way Gavaskar played against Windies or the way Inzamam has saved Pakistan many times or the way Javed and Dravid had been reliable assets for their respective teams .
I guess records are just what they are . He has done enough to be considered in my list .
All the same, I don't really see how you could rate him ahead of someone like Yousuf, who averages 52.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid is and will probably be the most accomplished sub-continental batsman by the end of his career (and vastly under-rated, especially by me for many years) but I think Sachin is the best. Dravid strikes me as somone who knows his game inside-out, what he can do/can't do, etc. and because he's had to work so hard to get to where he is, is better equipped to deal with altering his game as he gets older, less physically able, etc. Sachin is the naturally-talented one who is struggling to adjust his game as he gets older because he's never had to previously. But at their respective peaks, I'd take Sachin.