• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You’ve never given me any warnings on this site, I went straight to infractions and then a ban. I think I deserve an apology, I mean I never knew writing a cuss word on someone else’s profile was worthy of infractions, you should’ve warned me first. Think I deserve an apology from the moderators tbh, unjust af.
We gave out a few warnings to people we thought were making too many ***ual references, because the amount of them got us to a point where we were going to have to infract individual posts that we wouldn't have a few weeks ago.

That's what that post was about. None of your infractions for ***ual references at all and instead just straight up infractions like insults and filter avoidance. The post had nothing to do with your situation at all and I don't really appreciate you trying to use every discussion in here as an excuse to talk about your seven day ban. You're not going to get an apology so please stop asking.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I will never understand the people who pretend to be the kind of ignorant tools they would have to be to actually believe some of the things they post in the name of 'consistency' and 'communication' from the mods, When they're actually having a whinge about being infracted. Especially when they know full well the only thing they got into trouble for was deliberately going out of their way to give the mods a hard time.

There is no way a functioning human with the ability to operate a keyboard and gets infracted doesn't understand why. Just none. It has never once happened.

I'm fed up with reading that bull**** and I'm not even a mod. Why we have to dance around this complete bollocks is beyond me.

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
We gave out a few warnings to people we thought were making too many ***ual references, because the amount of them got us to a point where we were going to have to infract individual posts that we wouldn't have a few weeks ago.

That's what that post was about. None of your infractions for ***ual references at all and instead just straight up infractions like insults and filter avoidance. The post had nothing to do with your situation at all and I don't really appreciate you trying to use every discussion in here as an excuse to talk about your seven day ban. You're not going to get an apology so please stop asking.
The insults were jokey though. That poll I made was stupid but it was hardly trolling or insulting. So was the profile message I put. There’s a fine line between insults and having a joke. The inconsistency takes the piss. I appreciate you responding though.

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
I will never understand the people who pretend to be the kind of ignorant tools they would have to be to actually believe some of the things they post in the name of 'consistency' and 'communication' from the mods, When they're actually having a whinge about being infracted. Especially when they know full well the only thing they got into trouble for was deliberately going out of their way to give the mods a hard time.

There is no way a functioning human with the ability to operate a keyboard and gets infracted doesn't understand why. Just none. It has never once happened.

I'm fed up with reading that bull**** and I'm not even a mod. Why we have to dance around this complete bollocks is beyond me.
Wrong. I had just joined the forum, I was getting bull**** from every angle. I didn’t purposely go out of my way to get infracted or to wind up the mods, I was trying to fit in with the gaggle of bellends in Off topic (just a joke before I get an infraction). I called Sledger a **** before, as I was pissed off, nothing, no infractions or warnings or anything (if I was infraction for that I would understand). But I write ‘twatt‘ on his profile as a joke, when I started to realise he wasn’t as much of a bellend, an I’m infracted. It just doesn’t make sense. Anyway, thank you for your input, white knight.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wrong. I had just joined the forum, I was getting bull**** from every angle. I didn’t purposely go out of my way to get infracted or to wind up the mods, I was trying to fit in with the gaggle of bellends in Off topic (just a joke before I get an infraction). I called Sledger a **** before, as I was pissed off, nothing, no infractions or warnings or anything (if I was infraction for that I would understand). But I write ‘twatt‘ on his profile as a joke, when I started to realise he wasn’t as much of a bellend, an I’m infracted. It just doesn’t make sense. Anyway, thank you for your input, white knight.
I think that's because you avoided the swear filter, if you'd just written "****" without the added 't', it would have probably been fine.

trundler

Ah - CricketWeb's 2 greatest woes i.e bullying unsuspecting newbies and mindless modhuning coming together in an unholy union of cringe.

vcs

As an aside, why is the swear filter not consistent? It does substring matching for "****", but not for "****" or "****".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think that's because you avoided the swear filter, if you'd just written "****" without the added 't', it would have probably been fine.
Nah that one was actually just for the insult. He copped swear filter avoidance for a later post.

cpr

International Coach
You've been a member for less than a year and have a handful of posts, a mod isn't going to intuitively know when you're making a jokey remark or not. Chances are they hardly remember a handful of your posts amongst the thousands of members and millions of posts. Hell theres posters now I didn't realise had been here for years because i didn't really notice them until recently, and I don't go in OT so there's far less going on for me to follow.

I think we need to bring back the phases of CW members post from long ago.... I always see it as people having two opening phases - The first being new and not getting the in jokes/comments etc and feeling the butt of the jokes (theres definitely a Uranus joke in there somewhere, especially as that name matches that era for you). Many go off the rails, get banned, annoy everyone etc in that period...... However when they get out into phase 2, the bit where they get the humour, feel less on edge etc, they want to fit in and make connections, but go hell for leather about it - making jokey posts, constantly referencing old in jokes etc. Problem is most people still dont really know you, and mods will infract stuff that others might get away with... The truth is many posters get away with far more purely due to the years of posting and building up that connection with everyone else, and new members really do try and rush that.

So yeah, just chill about things, it takes time to settle into a forum thats been going 20 years, and just remember if you're getting hit for infractions others aren't, its because the system was built around them, not before them. You just can't rush becoming part of the furniture (give it 6 months and it'll be totally different)

This post was brought to you by the patronising old **** committee

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
You've been a member for less than a year and have a handful of posts, a mod isn't going to intuitively know when you're making a jokey remark or not. Chances are they hardly remember a handful of your posts amongst the thousands of members and millions of posts. Hell theres posters now I didn't realise had been here for years because i didn't really notice them until recently, and I don't go in OT so there's far less going on for me to follow.

I think we need to bring back the phases of CW members post from long ago.... I always see it as people having two opening phases - The first being new and not getting the in jokes/comments etc and feeling the butt of the jokes (theres definitely a Uranus joke in there somewhere, especially as that name matches that era for you). Many go off the rails, get banned, annoy everyone etc in that period...... However when they get out into phase 2, the bit where they get the humour, feel less on edge etc, they want to fit in and make connections, but go hell for leather about it - making jokey posts, constantly referencing old in jokes etc. Problem is most people still dont really know you, and mods will infract stuff that others might get away with... The truth is many posters get away with far more purely due to the years of posting and building up that connection with everyone else, and new members really do try and rush that.

So yeah, just chill about things, it takes time to settle into a forum thats been going 20 years, and just remember if you're getting hit for infractions others aren't, its because the system was built around them, not before them. You just can't rush becoming part of the furniture (give it 6 months and it'll be totally different)

This post was brought to you by the patronising old **** committee
I’m glad you made this post. I just felt annoyed because it seemed that people could wind me up for as long as they wanted without repercussions but as soon as I would make a stupid post I’d get infracted for it. But thank you for showing me their point of view and I would like to apologise to the moderators for being an annoying bellend. I will not bring it up again.

SillyCowCorner1

I created a thread called "Drunken Texts" when I was a newbie...it didn't received much replies.
I felt that it took more than that thread to be noticed. And how was I noticed? Idek.
An atrocious drafter. They noticed.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** me, think cpr has nailed it.

Also, remember to always be funny. If you must insult someone, keep it original. Some top notch Thick of it swearing is actively encouraged.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I get the family friendly bit, it's always been there. Like a family member I've always been aware of its presence and tried to ignore the irritating runt anyway.

But the Google Ads bit is a new angle, that IMO should definitely been communicated wider. What's the point of just telling those who fall foul of it, it prevents nothing, and doesn't stop the next person (which could've been me - I've had no warnings for my potty mouth after all) breaking it too. When does the point of warning so many people after they've done it become one too many for the revenue stream? Bailing the water out of a boat only keeps it afloat so long, at some point you've gotta tackle the hole (:naughty: - see, should've warned me)

----
Edit: A perfect example of this - you've rightly deleted a post of mine overnight with overt tones. I posted it because I wasn't aware (i posted it half an hour before Dan explained things), and yet I've still not had a warning from the mods as to why it was deleted, and why it can't stay - the only reason I know is because I stumbled on Dan's comments in this thread and interacted with them.
I deleted that post after the conversation in here, ftr. As a result I didn't think an infraction system warning was needed, given the same outcome had been achieved in here.

cpr

International Coach
Well I completely agree with that, the point I'm getting at is I'd have not even made the post in the first place if I was aware of the ad issue, as it stops being a joke and becomes a serious issue. Just because I'm not a serial offender doesn't mean my post won't be the straw that breaks the camels back in Googles eyes, so really it's in everyones interests I, and everyone else, were made aware of this change in moderating stance/style and ​the perfectly justifiable reason​ why